• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Det issues continue.... Tried everything it seems! 11 pro

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
A buddy with a 2012 Pro and a BD turbo.
He had a lot of DET issues for the first year.
He replaced the sensor and wire. Didn't fix it.

BD had him straighten out the DET sensor wire where it comes off the head instead of the natural bend it has. It cured his problem.
He's never had an issue since then.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I'm pretty sure Indy Dan sells clutches that come rebuilt and balanced and all gone thru and if I remember right they were close to the same price as my PI dealer. That would be a no brained for me...

Just a thought... One thing that you can do (if you're using a boost gauge) is buy a boost controller from turbo smart ($84) and be able to adjust your boost without playing with springs. We run them in our silber set up and if we get close to overrevving we turn the boost down. When we go up in elevation we turn the boost up. They best part about them is they also eliminate all boost spikes.

will look at that, however Unfortunately the Canadian us-dollar is so darn weak It ends up being cheaper sometimes paying the outrageous prices locally than to order cross boarder.

I do have the Turbosmart boost T, I leave it down for now until I fix my issue, so it gives me right now about the 4 psi at elevation, ~5 psi at the parking lot.

A buddy with a 2012 Pro and a BD turbo.
He had a lot of DET issues for the first year.
He replaced the sensor and wire. Didn't fix it.

BD had him straighten out the DET sensor wire where it comes off the head instead of the natural bend it has. It cured his problem.
He's never had an issue since then.

Thanks for the input! that's really weird! wouldn't think it should do anything in theory but you never know I guess, I did also already swap my det sensor/s between my 2 sleds and no change. Im going to do that as well for my ride on sunday.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
will look at that, however Unfortunately the Canadian us-dollar is so darn weak It ends up being cheaper sometimes paying the outrageous prices locally than to order cross boarder.

I do have the Turbosmart boost T, I leave it down for now until I fix my issue, so it gives me right now about the 4 psi at elevation, ~5 psi at the parking lot.

Thanks for the input! that's really weird! wouldn't think it should do anything in theory but you never know I guess, I did also already swap my det sensor/s between my 2 sleds and no change. Im going to do that as well for my ride on sunday.

Yeah, you never know what little thing it is that fixes something.
The DET sensor is really just a vibration sensor.
If a motor mount is broken, it can send it into DET mode.
If the pipe is rubbing on the bulkhead or frame somewhere, it can send it into DET mode.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Yeah, you never know what little thing it is that fixes something.
The DET sensor is really just a vibration sensor.
If a motor mount is broken, it can send it into DET mode.
If the pipe is rubbing on the bulkhead or frame somewhere, it can send it into DET mode.

Yeah exactly, Wouldn't think wire direction would do anything to the sensor, And I was reading about that stuff, Last winter I took my knock sensor off, However I had what seemed like a lean PUFF sometimes on off the throttle when it would of normally set that DET code. But Perhaps what It really was, was hitting the rev limiter for that moment?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
From what I've been told, you have to hit like 9000 (or even a bit more) to find the rev limiter.
If you pay close attention, Burant had been running his ProRide and Axys turbos at 8500 (and now the 850 Patriot at 8650).

No rev limiter at those speeds.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
From what I've been told, you have to hit like 9000 (or even a bit more) to find the rev limiter.
If you pay close attention, Burant had been running his ProRide and Axys turbos at 8500 (and now the 850 Patriot at 8650).

No rev limiter at those speeds.

Appreciate the info! Wow, that's crazy, Is the ecm's flashed on them? I haven't followed burandt really so not sure what he's been up to per say haha! Maybe they raise/remove that rev limiter to keep away the DET code/inducing it as well. I tried googling around and many seem to figure 8500, I also read about guys having a cut out issue from the throttle cable having too much free play, So I snugged that up as I had a bit for sure, however I don't recall anybody mentioning DET from that.

Going out tomorrow so Maybe have a few little things to try.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You may have checked them already?
We had one going(Boondocker)into det yesterday. The aux injector connector had one loose pin. It wasn’t seated. There was also one pin that had a very poor crimp. It may be worth your while to give each one a tug, along with the stock injectors.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
You may have checked them already?
We had one going(Boondocker)into det yesterday. The aux injector connector had one loose pin. It wasn’t seated. There was also one pin that had a very poor crimp. It may be worth your while to give each one a tug, along with the stock injectors.

I had both factory and turbo injector issues, which to me have been fixed now. first when I got the sled the turbo injectors were plugged up... Wouldn't flow so that took a bit to figure out (too long) then once that was fixed it blew up.... Then next season, (last) had other intermittent issues, replaced. Factory injectors and harness, fixed that. But the det issues had me worried again, seen the boondocker timing key and they say it's progressive, and put that in, ive had every dang issue with the sled that's known it seems, so it's been a long hard road to get back to the roots of it all.

So today's ride, throttle cable tightened up, knock sensor wire was already straight, good primary clutch..... Rev wasn't as high for the on off throttle but still got det code. Tried the playback feature I recently learned about, and didnt see any higher than 8000 rpm at 4 psi and 7k feet, again still det code. I tinkered with fueling more..... And couldn't get anything to behave better oddly.

So next I unplugged My Timing key, I felt the sled peppier for sure but yet still Det.... So next I had off a classifieds asked a fellar selling his boost it pro, for his numbers and he shared. I tried those..... Rich on the bottom end but no more det code.... Turned the boost up to 7# and no det code Didn't have it happen again all day after that. Down the trail it's rich as I need to tweak my elevation trims (was getting dark on the way out so I just wanted to get to the truck) ran 5 psi at 4500 feet, no key, and I sware it pulls Harder, much harder than it did with the key in at 5psi on the trail. I can only hope between all my issues that I may finally have it solved but will have to get another ride in and see, very little has made much sense on the sled and its been a nightmare.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Sounds like you have gained a considerable amount of ground today. Great news. It must have been a fueling issue.
My ‘12 numbers aren’t even close to what BD recommended. The ‘12 kit is very finicky concerning fuel selection also. I ran Turbo Blue a couple years ago and had to build a new map, it would det. I couldn’t get any Sunnoco 110 at the time, my choice of fuel.
I don’t run their key either, much snappier without.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Sounds like you have gained a considerable amount of ground today. Great news. It must have been a fueling issue.
My ‘12 numbers aren’t even close to what BD recommended. The ‘12 kit is very finicky concerning fuel selection also. I ran Turbo Blue a couple years ago and had to build a new map, it would det. I couldn’t get any Sunnoco 110 at the time, my choice of fuel.
I don’t run their key either, much snappier without.

Oh the fun hey, and I think it was a combination of the timing key maybe being too much and the fuel numbers. I know I'm in the same boat numbers wise. not the numbers that people run but yet everybody says it runs crisp. on the bottom end of The current map it's way too rich so next ride I'll try and see about leaning that up. I've owned many mod sleds and turbo sleds, this thing has made very little to no sense when it comes to the issues and tuning. It's shown me no patterns as I was leaning it out it ran better but yet richening it up everywhere also threw the det code so perhaps a happy medium somehow in between it all that I couldn't find. I even tried pure av gas and it never helped. So I knew it wasn't an octane issue Nothing made sense

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Did you double up the stock outside reeds? That cleans up the bottom.

No I never did. The bottom of the reeds however had like some Half cut reeds stacked up. I assume the previous owner had done that so I left it like that.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Small update, Took the sled out again today, riding about 5-5600 feet, around 0C out. I think I had it throw me the DET code twice, Once when climbing through trees but I had trimmed back my elevation trim to try and get it running crisper... So I had richened up the elevation trim. it never acted up again really, the odd rich bog for sure however, leaned out some mid range numbers a tad, I get this weird bog the odd time however and it does give a small pop then take off, Very rare to pop when it does it, from my experience thus far it's from being way too rich.

That being said, its a HUGE improvement, Tons of working the throttle today playing in the trees and on off the throttle boosting along, usually the first blip of the throttle on-off I'd be in limp mode, Was able to start picking some fun lines again. Can only hope tweaking some numbers some more helps it all come together...

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Small update, Took the sled out again today, riding about 5-5600 feet, around 0C out. I think I had it throw me the DET code twice, Once when climbing through trees but I had trimmed back my elevation trim to try and get it running crisper... So I had richened up the elevation trim. it never acted up again really, the odd rich bog for sure however, leaned out some mid range numbers a tad, I get this weird bog the odd time however and it does give a small pop then take off, Very rare to pop when it does it, from my experience thus far it's from being way too rich..

In my experience I find a pop is usually result of slightly too lean. Slightly Too rich is usually sluggish then take off. This could be on your main fueling, or throttle enrichment setting, or if it’s only in specific rpm range id adjust fuel just in that rpm area.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
In my experience I find a pop is usually result of slightly too lean. Slightly Too rich is usually sluggish then take off. This could be on your main fueling, or throttle enrichment setting, or if it’s only in specific rpm range id adjust fuel just in that rpm area.

Appreciate the input, it's tough to know where it Happens rpm wise as it doesn't do it often and the gauge responds too slow. However when it does it it can be a 2 or 3 second long bog, then if it pops its a light pop, I've had lean pops before and they are much louder and like a bang, I mean it could still somehow be lean for sure, I've also turned on/max'd the accelerator pump and it made the bogs worse and I got more of them pops, I've also played with the throttle cut for cutting fueling all together when on off the throttle and deff caused lean pops/bog, so it makes me figure its perhaps too rich. When it does it it'll streak the snow and my air fuel reads lean, which as I've discovered is because its not burning the fuel.

Things been a tuning nightmare lol.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Go up 2 digits at a time on your main fueling until you think it’s getting better or worse then go up ones more 2 digits to confirm it. It may make it worse somewhere else but pay attention to the situation your trying to fix. If rich makes it worse try leaner 2 digits at a time. This should help you figure out if you need more fuel or less fuel somewhere. Then you can go back to numbers you started with or whichever is the best all around and adjust rpm based fueling where you think u need it. And again small amounts at a time so you don’t go too far and not know.
Usually don’t need throttle enrichment at max that’s usually an indicator of too lean on main Fueling.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Go up 2 digits at a time on your main fueling until you think it’s getting better or worse then go up ones more 2 digits to confirm it. It may make it worse somewhere else but pay attention to the situation your trying to fix. If rich makes it worse try leaner 2 digits at a time. This should help you figure out if you need more fuel or less fuel somewhere. Then you can go back to numbers you started with or whichever is the best all around and adjust rpm based fueling where you think u need it. And again small amounts at a time so you don’t go too far and not know.
Usually don’t need throttle enrichment at max that’s usually an indicator of too lean on main Fueling.

I'll try playing with the main fuel, I had been tweaking rpm's, I did notice the leaner I would go, the sled goes better and better as far as less bog,quicker to rev out. it wakens up more and runs stronger and my bog dissapears, but I did seem to then also get the det code setting still, could be in some stupid spot in the rpm that I cannot seem to figure out.

I seem to be on a. Better track so far for sure so I'll make small changes as You've suggested and see where I end up.

Premium Features