• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LOLO PASS

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
DROVE up to Lolo Fri 10th to check for early season test ride. No problem, more snow than I thought I'd find, boarders already had jumps and pipes up.
First snow wet and heavy, so base, you're not going to gravel scratch those new skis on a road ride.

Drove on down to road to TOM BEAL BASIN, same in the area, once you climbed as high as lolo pass, snow ok, and then you ride to 7200 ft or so, likely 3 ft up that high.

X
Mar 12, 2018
rode up there on saturday (10th) ... more than enough snow to stretch your legs :) id say 14-16" or so. most the snow was up closer to the parking lot... once you got any further than maybe 3 or so miles from the meadow your skis would start bottoming on the trail. had the meadow to myself all morning :eyebrows: by no means the greatest conditions, but worth the drive up depending on where you are if your itchin to ride

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Sunday 11/11

two of us rode our snow bikes from Lolo parking lot, road system through bushy fork past Elk Meadows and out past the State Line cattle guard. from half way up the switch backs coming up out of the brushy fork to the state line, great snow, mayb 24" or better. we rode from Elk Meadows up the road toward the warming hut, great riding........again 24" inches, no rocks but stay on road.

Going down and through bushy fork, skimpy and some gravel in the snow, we just took it easy riding the berm from the sleds, shined up our wear bars a little.

BUSHY SUMIT 11.jpg

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
two of us rode our snow bikes from Lolo parking lot, road system through bushy fork past Elk Meadows and out past the State Line cattle guard. from half way up the switch backs coming up out of the brushy fork to the state line, great snow, mayb 24" or better. we rode from Elk Meadows up the road toward the warming hut, great riding........again 24" inches, no rocks but stay on road.

Going down and through bushy fork, skimpy and some gravel in the snow, we just took it easy riding the berm from the sleds, shined up our wear bars a little.

Any updates? Would love to get up for a ride.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
elk meadow

so, not the top of the pass, we went up the South Fork of Lolo creek, the turn to the South up Lolo creek just past the WOODMAN SCHOOL.

We drove about 6 miles until the snow on the road was getting tough on a pickup. No tracks ahead of us at 10:30 am.

Unloaded and headed on towards the state line, maybe 10-18 of new snow, dense powder , by the time we were headed on down towards ELK MEADOW, the snow is coming off our ski and in our face or over our head. We took the road to the warming hut, deepest snow of the ride, up in your face, and dense powder trying to drag your feet of the pegs. Best riding was just going along in 3 rd gear and not trying to go faster, cause the snow in the face was to much when you went fast. All good, no body all day.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ANCIENT SNOW

SUNDAY, AND a sunny day ! old snow cold and sugary, but parking lot pretty full, just a nice sunny day riding better than the couch. WE need snow.

Gate open to warming hut and groomed..........all good, but skimpy now.
Hi SCOTT, saw Scott and his boys at the warming hut.

On the bikes we did ease on over the hill to Elk Meadows for lunch. The boondocking over the hill to the road out to Elk Meadows was a little western but rock hard, pick your way along not big deal, nothing that 5' of snow would'd cure.

All FUN

X
Mar 12, 2018
SUNDAY, AND a sunny day ! old snow cold and sugary, but parking lot pretty full, just a nice sunny day riding better than the couch. WE need snow.

Gate open to warming hut and groomed..........all good, but skimpy now.
Hi SCOTT, saw Scott and his boys at the warming hut.

On the bikes we did ease on over the hill to Elk Meadows for lunch. The boondocking over the hill to the road out to Elk Meadows was a little western but rock hard, pick your way along not big deal, nothing that 5' of snow would'd cure.

All FUN

was that you guys in the lot w the 2 bikes? that was me in the blue subaru w the trailer... u got there right after me :face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It's been a heck of a long time of seing your posts on here.
It was great to visit with you.
Nice to finally meet you in person, Mike!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
it was it was

was that you guys in the lot w the 2 bikes? that was me in the blue subaru w the trailer... u got there right after me :face-icon-small-hap

Yeah say hello next time you see Dans truck with the angled up snow bikes. Now I know your car and trailer I'll keep an eye out for ya !

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
the pass has more than that... 4' at the visitor center w a bit more at higher elevation. forecasting possibly another foot by this sunday

Shhhh. :) I need to be able to have room to park up there. Haha

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I am trying to ride there next week on the second and third and get my tuning ride out of the way, would anyone be willing to let me tag along on one of those days?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I am trying to ride there next week on the second and third and get my tuning ride out of the way, would anyone be willing to let me tag along on one of those days?

I can ride Sun, Mom and Tues.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I'm going to try and get there Tuesday. My pickup decided to have some emission issues so hopefully they can get it taken care of Monday.

Do you ride out of the visitor center or down below closer to Elk Meadows?

Premium Features