• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA vs Baofeng bf-888s

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I have the UV 5 R (3 of them) along with Midlands and they all work fine in the back country. I have the 7" antenna for the baofengs (the antenna that comes on the baofeng is not a great antenna) and they out perform the other radios that others in our group carry and when programmed properly all is transparent and we can all talk to each other in the back country.
gtwitch in wyoming
The baofeng radios are supplied with 2 different antennas. (Only one per radio). A shortish stout thing, or a 7"ish thin flexible antenna which, is a really good antenna. I have tried a half dozen after market antennas and have always come back to the 7" original.
Here is a chart of antenna test results.
http://www.miklor.com/COM/pdf/AntennaTestingW9MDB.pdf

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
C
Apr 23, 2018
Nova Scotia
I got my cheapy throat mics and stubby antennas today. Tried it some around the yard and it's a bit better than I was expecting, some of the video reviews make them sound really bad. I did have to turn the volume all the way up so I'll have to test it on running machines. Will probably order some speaker mics to compare. For some reason we can't get the Btech platinum ones off amazon.ca? They have a lot of the retevis brand though.

CY5HWgl.jpg

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I got my cheapy throat mics and stubby antennas today. Tried it some around the yard and it's a bit better than I was expecting, some of the video reviews make them sound really bad. I did have to turn the volume all the way up so I'll have to test it on running machines. Will probably order some speaker mics to compare. For some reason we can't get the Btech platinum ones off amazon.ca? They have a lot of the retevis brand though.

CY5HWgl.jpg
Hi,
My experience with throat mics is that they should only be used if there is no other workable solution. The specific throat mics that I have experience with are on an elastic band buckled around the neck, 1 Mic element. Placement on the throat is very important. Audio from it is very poor at best bordering on unintelligible. The louder the wearer speaks, the worse it gets.

I am curious about the type that you have purchased.

Could you write a more specific review of your testing?
Thanks!

C
Apr 23, 2018
Nova Scotia
They are the Retevis brand, off Amazon for $25 ish. They aren't that great, as others have mentioned, voices come out very muffled and hard to understand, I was hoping for better as they do eliminate background noise but trying to make out what the other person is saying is like talking to an East Indian call center. :face-icon-small-dis

The stubby antennas are somewhat of a fail as well. They seem to work for a couple hundred feet but after that it falls off whereas the factory antenna is good for much longer.

I tried 2 sets of UV-5r's today. 2 are 5 watt models and 2 are 8 watt ones with Nagoya 771 antennas. The 5 watt with stubbys were useless after 1/4 mile but the 8 watt with longer antenna I could get 3 miles in rolling/ treed terrain.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that would be your experience.

In my group, we all use a speaker mic clipped to a shoulder strap. My Mic cord is passed through the water tube passage. Works great. Can't understand the audio untill nearly stopped. Place the radio in your pack with the antenna sticking out. Use a twist tie to keep the zipper closed. Keeps the antenna a little higher and away from probe and shovel.

Also, vhf/uhf signals are a little strange in the way your radio will receive. When the signal is weak, moving a little, turn your body, take a couple of steps. Stand on your seat, may help a surprising amount. When you find the "hot spot", stand still, as you will be heard better also.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That is a good mic.... the one I use. I have an extra if you want it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

My plan is this.
I am getting two sets of these.
I will do some on mountain, in the trees, in the draws SIDE BY SIDE testing using the BCA Linq and the little HAM Radio.

And then see if it is possible to quantify the transmission and reception differences for the average guy here on SnoWest.

I am an "Extra Class" Ham radio operator. (W7AVW)

So I have to be honest and say I rather enjoy playing with all this stuff just for the pure joy of playing with it!:face-icon-small-hap

This was supposed to have been a SUMMER project and I just allowed myself to get side tracked and forgot to get it done.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I enjoy playing with electronic stuff also.

Your findings will be that the CCR (cheap chinese radio) will work better in every way. Ccr will talk further, clearer, battery will last longer.

Get the FTDI programming cable and, of course, use chirp. Those radios are no fun to FPP. Chirp has the frs freq built in.

I like BCA's avi equipment. The link is type accepted, meets all the requirements and is an seriously overpriced toy.

The hpf8 is a pretty good radio. I had 3. Lost one, along with a mobilinkd tnc, last winter in Elk Flats. That hurt!

My riding buddies were up kirkham hollow near the Dwight Wood sign, I was home, we talked 30ish miles with the CCR's. Also had some other friends near pack saddle lake talked to them too. Although not nearly as clear.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I have been using the baofengs for the last 3 yrs. Buddies have BCA, Rinos and a few other brands. The Baofeng is great. I put in backpack and use shoulder mic. Have longer antenna as well. Battery lasts forever, usually charge it once a month. I think it's a much safer radio since it can save your arse. Mine is programmed with FRS, GMRS, VHF as well as local fire, PD and SAR. Sure its illegal to USE the later but if it's a life and death situation at least I have the option. BCA radio doesn't give you that.

As for not hearing on other radio, you need it check privacy codes. That will be an issue if your not set to same.

I have the BCA and the Baofeng, I would like to program the Barfeng much like you have it for emergency use only, any tips on how to do that and find what frequency's i should use?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I enjoy playing with electronic stuff also.

Your findings will be that the CCR (cheap chinese radio) will work better in every way. Ccr will talk further, clearer, battery will last longer.

Get the FTDI programming cable and, of course, use chirp. Those radios are no fun to FPP. Chirp has the frs freq built in.

I like BCA's avi equipment. The link is type accepted, meets all the requirements and is an seriously overpriced toy.

The hpf8 is a pretty good radio. I had 3. Lost one, along with a mobilinkd tnc, last winter in Elk Flats. That hurt!

My riding buddies were up kirkham hollow near the Dwight Wood sign, I was home, we talked 30ish miles with the CCR's. Also had some other friends near pack saddle lake talked to them too. Although not nearly as clear.

Oh ya, 8 watts vs. 1 watt, I know full well what I am expecting.
But what we need is that HEAD to HEAD comparison.
Exact same situation, both radios working side by side.
Then we can try to quantify it.

And what I WANT..
Is a fully in helmet solution with Push to Talk capability that feeds into a Sled Mounted 25 Watt Amp with a SUPER flexible whip antenna. All this with a Magnetic breakaway connection..:face-icon-small-hap

Now that would ensure Optimal Back Country Comms, so far as comms can go.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Here's the 25 watt radio.... http://www.miklor.com/NOTE/

Mount it on the pto side panel, use it for a knee pad...

If you need some help with your tezting, let me know. We could do legal testing on 440 and 2m.

I wish more sledders would get their amateur license. Can't talk anyone in my group to getting it... Must be too easy?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Slight detour ....guys using the BCA....

Can you program these to talk on public channels....like the forestry road channels?

Or is it just the pre canned channels and that's that?

Premium Features