• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at a Nytro for extra sled

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
What should I look for on it. 2009 Nytro

162 timber sled 1400 miles

Light weight exhaust
skin seat
power commander
vent kit
fox floats on the front

It will be an extra slack for me or a slip for the girlfriend a ride. I sold her King cat 900 162.

Have not written or been around a Yamaha newer than an SRV or a phazer 2

Have Dragons and Pro now

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Damn sleds are pretty much BULLET PROOF.
Pull a plug and take a peak at it, but I am willing to bet if it isn't boosted chances are it will be fine.

Pull an oil sample if you are the nervous about the sled or it's owner.
I had two of them for 6 years and they never caused me any grief to speak of. They are just solid long term sleds that are HIGHLY reliable.

P
Nov 8, 2018
Help. 09 Nytro 153" Capability

Found a really nice 09 153" with 800 miles. I want to use it for wife's sled and for friends. Question I have is, will it work well for a mix of trails but also some Idaho powder riding? Not any aggressive high mountain stuff, but ungroomed, sometimes deep logging road snow? Beautiful sled, and I love the reliability. I just don't want to spend all day digging her out! Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Found a really nice 09 153" with 800 miles. I want to use it for wife's sled and for friends. Question I have is, will it work well for a mix of trails but also some Idaho powder riding? Not any aggressive high mountain stuff, but ungroomed, sometimes deep logging road snow? Beautiful sled, and I love the reliability. I just don't want to spend all day digging her out! Thanks
The Nytros were a very capable sled.
Depending on modifications, you could make them into a decent mountain sled. I rode nytros for years.

As for logging roads.
NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL.

The deeper the snow the better the Nytro tended to handle

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If you want year after year of turn the key and ride, you can't beat a Nytro. I wouldn't hesitate to have one for a backup, you always know it is going to run when your other sled is in the shop.

My recommendations:
roll over valve is a must
Ditch the stock 153 maverick and put on a power claw
Swap the rear skid with just about anything else - the stock one is heavy and the end of the rails were tilted up to help with turning, at least my 08 was that way.
check the subframe for the A-arms and have a plate welded in if it is tweaked
Check the spindles, those may have some wear on them. The joints in mine wore out to the point where I couldn't steer, so I ended up going to a timbersled front end.
If you want to lose more weight, it is pretty easy to replace the stock can with one from a sport bike.

Last edited:
Premium Features