• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Belt life - A band aid Journey

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
my 18 turned out to be worse on belts than my 17 ... all with a reputable clutch kit, all the vents, stupid fan, and all the other gimmicks out there

glad season's almost over and my KTM and Beta don't have any belt issues ;)

will next year's updates fix the problem ? probably not
but as long as they keep handing me warranty belts i don't really care .. love the way the sled runs and rides !

That's about $6500 in belts in 2 years .. and I'm just one guy lol

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Holy crap! That’s like 35 belts!!! your dealer has warrantied every single belt??!!! That’s one awesome dealer.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
my 18 turned out to be worse on belts than my 17 ... all with a reputable clutch kit, all the vents, stupid fan, and all the other gimmicks out there

glad season's almost over and my KTM and Beta don't have any belt issues ;)

will next year's updates fix the problem ? probably not
but as long as they keep handing me warranty belts i don't really care .. love the way the sled runs and rides !

That's about $6500 in belts in 2 years .. and I'm just one guy lol

You really should care. Word is that the 18 Cats with a smaller motor, out-pull the G4. That should not happen. There is just way too much efficiency loss in your transmission. Imagine the performance you could have if that power was getting to the snow? Some guys run Polaris clutches and still have hot clutches so to me this indicates the problem is with only having 3 motor mounts and the motor is twisting way too much. I have pulled up on a G4 clutch and it moved way, way more than on my Polaris. How can that be good?

D
May 24, 2012
You really should care. Word is that the 18 Cats with a smaller motor, out-pull the G4. That should not happen. There is just way too much efficiency loss in your transmission. Imagine the performance you could have if that power was getting to the snow? Some guys run Polaris clutches and still have hot clutches so to me this indicates the problem is with only having 3 motor mounts and the motor is twisting way too much. I have pulled up on a G4 clutch and it moved way, way more than on my Polaris. How can that be good?

Agreed, it should matter and for many reasons. There is no way the crank can survive long term with such high belt temps and so many blown belts. Which sled did you pull-up on the Primary, a trail or off-trail sled? I did the same on a non belt blower mountain sled and it was surprisingly tight.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Agreed, it should matter and for many reasons. There is no way the crank can survive long term with such high belt temps and so many blown belts. Which sled did you pull-up on the Primary, a trail or off-trail sled? I did the same on a non belt blower mountain sled and it was surprisingly tight.

It was a daily rider of a guy who lives in Revelstoke BC. Off trail, deep snow etc.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Don't all speak at once now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features