• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker "Sidekick Auto"

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hi everyone!

I want to give a review and comprehensive over view of the new Boondocker Sidekick Auto for the Ski Doo 850.

I have spent the last few days pounding this sled and turbo package and want to share the experience.

First off, I feel I should give a thorough breakdown of the Sidekick and it's operating components and functions.

#1 - The Boondocker Sidekick is the "next gen" technology in Turbo application for our sleds. We finally have up to date, 21st century technology available!
ECU - , The OEM , ECU's are the result of thousands of hours of perfection by the manufacturer to accomplish the amazing, "perfect" operation we see today in these new sleds. Boondocker has realized this fact and therefore does not touch the OEM's ECU. The ECU is not sent in and "re-programmed" or altered. It controls and performs all of the functions intended by the manufacturer, including SHOT. Having that gives the 850 the amazing grunt and throttle response famous to this engine. The Sidekick Auto simply lays in fuel over top of the stock ECU as needed for boost. You then have the stock, excellent ECU functioning as normal "plus" boost and additional fuel. The result is amazing. If you have receive an ECU update from the manufacturer, you simply take it to your dealer, update as per normal, then continue riding! No down time. Then down the road when you want to sell your sled and upgrade, you simply unplug the Sidekick Auto electronics, remove the turbo and reassemble to stock and sell your sled. No need for an expensive new ECU replacement. Very nice.

#2 - Electronic Boost Control, "EBC". This technology is amazing. No more manual boost control or the need to "turn it up a little" when at altitude. EBC is more of a "horsepower setting" than a boost setting. With the old technology we had, we used to manually set a "target boost value". With Boondockers EBC, we are essentially setting a target "Horsepower value". The Sidekick Auto begins at approximately 5 pounds of boost. That equates to about 210HP on the 850. The EBC then monitors the atmospheric values and proportionately adjusts boost accordingly, maintaining the 210HP.
At high elevations, the Sidekick Auto will be pumping out 7,8,9, pounds of boost required to maintain that constant 210HP. Then as you head back down the mountain, the EBC is protecting you from over-boosting by reducing boost until it is back at that beginning value of approx 5PSI. You can start to see this is not a "boost setting" but a HP setting. EBC is controlling boost throughout the day. All of this is done electronically and automatically! Then to top it off, there is also TPS, "throttle position sensing" incorporated into the application of boost. The result is a seamless, smooth and progressive power application. You can carefully hold a sketchy sidehill, smoothly and continuously. If you want to stand it on the rear bumper, just push your thumb a little farther. Very "ride-able" and smooth.
The EBC and TPS functions remind me of my new Ford Eco-Boost truck. Like all of our modern turboed cars and trucks. There is EBC and TPS working to give us consistent HP in all temperatures and elevations. What that does for our sleds is give us HP consistency which eliminates the need for any clutch tuning! Once the Boondocker clutching is installed, there is no need for adjustments because the HP to the track is always consistent! Super cool.

#3 - The turbo itself is a Garrett 2860. Excellent all around choice. The Cold air intake is accomplished through the OEM's upper box and a cold air plenum feeding the turbo. The charge tube and air box, "charge box" are aluminum for quick heat transfer and flow efficiency. The fuel is provided through the OEM primary and secondary injectors.

#4 - I have to put this one out there for specific attention. The muffler. Haaha, yep! It deserves attention. It is a very precisely designed and built piece. Stainless steel and designed specifically for this kit. Beautiful to look at, amazingly engineered and built and a custom , stainless "Boondocker Logo" tagged on. The sound is the big bonus. It is not that empty "tuna can", mod sled noise we all loved in the past. It has a deeper rumble and crack. Not much louder that stock, but definitely the sound that advertises to everyone around there's something special under the hood. Most excellent !

#5 - Clutching. The clutch upgrades were very simple. 2017's get a new spring. 2018's keep their spring. There is a new set of arms, "ramps" with weights pre-installed. You simply install and go. The secondary spring and helix remain. The first pull I made was a clutch test. It rocketed to 8K and never budged. Done... very nice. On the road going in, I tested the shift rate and RPM. It will literally rip you off the back of the seat if you aren't ready. I love an aggressive up-shift. There was no "fade" or flattening out in the upper rev's. It pulled super aggressive all the way to the end and remained at 8K rpm. Crystal clean and smooth holding a sustained WOT pull in deep snow. It feels like you could hold it there for ever. Perfectly clean and smooth. Everything seemed very "happy" if you tuners know what I mean....

Summery and seat of the pants.
From start up, the sled purr's like stock. The "stock ECU" is controlling everything. The throttle response is wicked as normal. Boost builds from near idle, smoothly until your arms are stretched and the ski's are airborne. I would hold WOT on a deep powder climb, chop the throttle, and mash it again as a test. The ski's would dip, then lift high and the climb continued as though I hadn't done anything! Instant response and smooth. We have all seen the likes of Chris Burant, Keith Curtis, Dan Adams and others on their incredible Boondocker powered Polaris sleds. Now we have that entire package for the Ski Doo 850"s !!! Very stoked !!! #"Boondocker /Ski Doo"!!!

Well everyone, I tried to be as informative as possible to the Side Kick Auto's technical pieces and their function. I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions, you are always welcome to give me a shout.

I will post some pic's shortly and follow up with some Go Pro footage etc.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hi everyone!

I want to give a review and comprehensive over view of the new Boondocker Sidekick Auto for the Ski Doo 850.

I have spent the last few days pounding this sled and turbo package and want to share the experience.

First off, I feel I should give a thorough breakdown of the Sidekick and it's operating components and functions.

#1 - The Boondocker Sidekick is the "next gen" technology in Turbo application for our sleds. We finally have up to date, 21st century technology available!
ECU - , The OEM , ECU's are the result of thousands of hours of perfection by the manufacturer to accomplish the amazing, "perfect" operation we see today in these new sleds. Boondocker has realized this fact and therefore does not touch the OEM's ECU. The ECU is not sent in and "re-programmed" or altered. It controls and performs all of the functions intended by the manufacturer, including SHOT. Having that gives the 850 the amazing grunt and throttle response famous to this engine. The Sidekick Auto simply lays in fuel over top of the stock ECU as needed for boost. You then have the stock, excellent ECU functioning as normal "plus" boost and additional fuel. The result is amazing. If you have receive an ECU update from the manufacturer, you simply take it to your dealer, update as per normal, then continue riding! No down time. Then down the road when you want to sell your sled and upgrade, you simply unplug the Sidekick Auto electronics, remove the turbo and reassemble to stock and sell your sled. No need for an expensive new ECU replacement. Very nice.

I will post some pic's shortly and follow up with some Go Pro footage etc.

No doubt they make a good product. Everyone here knows I however work for Silber.

I'm not going to bash the BD system, but being you/they are taking shots here that aren't completely factual, I feel the need to update this post...

The whole idea that you are using the factory ECU and "adding to it" is sort of BS. Its a new map based off a piggyback controller. Period. The motor doesn't know where the fuel and air is coming from, it doesn't care. The piggyback is reacting to certain variables to add/subtract fuel. Yes, the stock map remains the same, but you are still taking one map, adding another map, and getting something entirely new.

Granted, BD has been doing the pigggyback thing a long time, but remember, no modern automobile with a turbocharger uses a piggyback to control air/fuel. To suggest that using the stock electronics is somehow "less than" is the part I'm trying to show isn't really fair.

Silber is also working on a remote reflash procedure. There are already various locations around the country this can be done. This will get rolled out in quantity over the coming months/season.

Finally, as far as removing the kit for sale, well, there are ethics here I will not go into. However, any dealer can flash the ECU back to stock if one is so inclined.

Anyway, we aren't going to pretend BD makes a terrible kit the same way a Chevy engineer isn't going to laugh at a Ford engineer. We respect each other. But we do believe in our technologies and do wish the masses would perpetuate more accurate information as to the inner workings of each product.

Cheers!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks for your thoughts. I must clarify however that this is a Boondocker Sidekick Auto review. Not a comparison or any other brand discussion. I am sure someone will have a multi brand discussion and review at some point. I believe there are other turbo threads available for other brands. This is a stand alone thread for everyone to read, discuss and ask questions in respect to this system. Not a comparison to anything or anyone? Respectfully, no other brands are mentioned. We've all seen threads over the years go sideways and become a mess for everyone. Thanks again.

Back to this thread and product overview.

To clarify, the Ski Doo , OEM ECU is not touched or even ever removed from the sled at any time. The OEM ECU performs all of the manufacturer's functions as designed by the manufacturer.

The Auto Sidekick electronics are not a "tuner", "programmer" like the products we have all used somewhere in the past on bikes or sleds. The Side Kick Auto is built by an electronics team from scratch in house to provide fuel, EBC and TPS. It does incorporate Electronic Boost Control, like our modern vehicle applications, and incorporates TPS like out modern vehicle applications. That is the technology point being made. The end result is a seamless, smooth, and consistent HP to the track, again like the modern turbo electronics we see today in other applications.

Thank you.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for your thoughts. I must clarify however that this is a Boondocker Sidekick Auto review. Not a comparison or any other brand discussion. I am sure someone will have a multi brand discussion and review at some point. I believe there are other turbo threads available for other brands. This is a stand alone thread for everyone to read, discuss and ask questions in respect to this system. Not a comparison to anything or anyone? Respectfully, no other brands are mentioned. We've all seen threads over the years go sideways and become a mess for everyone. Thanks again.

Back to this thread and product overview.

To clarify, the Ski Doo , OEM ECU is not touched or even ever removed from the sled at any time. The OEM ECU performs all of the manufacturer's functions as designed by the manufacturer.

The Auto Sidekick electronics are not a "tuner", "programmer" like the products we have all used somewhere in the past on bikes or sleds. The Side Kick Auto is built by an electronics team from scratch in house to provide fuel, EBC and TPS. It does incorporate Electronic Boost Control, like our modern vehicle applications, and incorporates TPS like out modern vehicle applications. That is the technology point being made. The end result is a seamless, smooth, and consistent HP to the track, again like the modern turbo electronics we see today in other applications.

Thank you.

I get that. But you made it a comparison in the way you wrote your review. In that comparison you made some errors with how you articulated certain things.

Yes, it is a "programmer box". It is not a stand alone ECU. The program may very well be good, but that does not change the fact it is a piggyback controller. EG, it is a slave unit to the master ECU. You can have a piggyback controller do amazing things, but it is nothing like the modern automobile in how they work from a functional perspective. If you understand modern fuel injection, you'd see that having maps on maps (two maps, not able to influence one and other) is different than one homogeneous map that controls everything.

Sorry to get lost in definitions, but again, my point here is not to crap on the product but just to keep the facts straight.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I am sorry you don't understand The Sidekick Auto for The 850. The Boondocker electronics are "NOT" connected to the OEM ECU. No "Y" connection, no "T" connection. Not connected at all on the 850. You are only assuming. You need to get one first and become familiar with it in order to discuss it accurately.
The "modern" technology I referenced is the application of Electronic Boost Control and the ability to very boost in a wide variety of conditions in order to maintain a consistent power delivery. Also the Throttle Position function blending boost in reference to throttle position is super state of the art, like our other "modern turbo applications". EBC and TPS working together is the magic I am referring to. Not "where" the info is coming from. The secondary box, the "Auto Box" is providing that technology.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Sure seems like BD wrote that post for you ? Hopefully they got it figured out because my 2 XMs that had BD kits put me in a boat where I don't think I'll ever own one again.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes. They definitely have an awesome product with this new Sidekick Auto. Pull the rope and ride. Awesome! I get your point however. LoL I remember back a few years when Polaris had the infamous 900. Haaha . Things sure seem to evolve and we get the benefit ! Imagine where we will be in another 10 years. Anti gravity sleds?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey guys. Here are a few pic's. I will cover more pic's as needed and follow up with some Video. The new Sidekicks were released last week and there are several local guys out playing. I will try to get some Vid and answer any questions going forward.

Attachments

• BD 1.JPG
    BD 1.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 94
  • BD 2.JPG
    BD 2.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 102
  • BD 3.JPG
    BD 3.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 144
  • BD 4.JPG
    BD 4.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 107
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Are you running no oil pump on that kit Randy like they are doing on the Sibler? Dead heading turbo and feed from raves?

Stock reeds? Additional weight added to sled once turbo is installed? Retail cost!!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, there is an oil supply that is tapped into for turbo oil. It has excessive oil available and that is more than sufficient. The 2860's are not sealed. Both applications, remote reservoir or not, allow some blow by. My last turbo with a stand alone oil reservoir was always a little "oil shiny" inside. That is where it comes from.

OEM reeds. No change. That reminds me, the service intervals by your manufacture are unchanged. Reeds, spark plugs, etc. serviced by your manufacturers schedule. No change.

Net weight. I haven't weighed every piece removed then added to give you an accurate answer for that. However, the stock muffler, air box, and other pieces removed, comparing to the turbo and tubing "feel" like a slight gain in net weight. The power to weight ratio however make it feel "floaty". There is so much happening so smoothly it makes the sled feel extremely light.

Retail price is $3995. Your local dealer may have a program. Installation, accessories etc. to make you a package? You'll have to ask.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN

It may work just fine in this or any other application, but a properly programed ecu will ALWAYS be better than any sort of piggyback, and a piggyback is far from "next gen" technology.

Piggybacks were pretty much the only option in the 90s and early 2000s for cars, as soon as reprogramming/reflashing/standalones became more readily available, piggybacks ended up in there proper place, reserved for compromised projects that don't have other options. You may have noticed, snowmobiles are going the exact same way.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, it "is" a piggyback. A secondary box is adding the additional fuel requirements in addition to EBC and TPS. The "modern" technology I referenced is the application of Electronic Boost Control and the ability to very boost in a wide variety of conditions in order to maintain a consistent power delivery. Also the Throttle Position function blending boost in reference to throttle position is super state of the art, like our other "modern turbo applications". EBC and TPS working together is the magic I am referring to. Not "where" the info is coming from. The secondary box, the "Auto Box" is providing that technology.

Thanks.

Although it is relatively new to be applied to snowmobiles (as is almost anything boost related), especially in bolt on application, it is hardly ground breaking technology. I've been controlling boost in my car based on whatever parameters I want for 10+ years now, and that is using old school 90's hardware.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Although it is relatively new to be applied to snowmobiles (as is almost anything boost related), especially in bolt on application, it is hardly ground breaking technology. I've been controlling boost in my car based on whatever parameters I want for 10+ years now, and that is using old school 90's hardware.

Congrats on your long history of boosting cars. Sounds fun.

The "ground breaking technology" is Electronic Boost Control working simultaneously with TPS. Not the control box itself. lol
Yes, it is new and is a real treat on a sled. Technology evolves and evolves. Look around us at everything. Amazing what we can accomplish in technology in just ten years. It makes my old boosted sled pretty obsolete.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Congrats on your long history of boosting cars. Sounds fun.

The "ground breaking technology" is Electronic Boost Control working simultaneously with TPS. Not the control box itself. lol
Yes, it is new and is a real treat on a sled. Technology evolves and evolves. Look around us at everything. Amazing what we can accomplish in technology in just ten years. It makes my old boosted sled pretty obsolete.

Psst. That's not groundbreaking either....has been done for years (like decades) in the auto industry. https://sirhclabs.com/

BD has also done it for awhile, and its really cool in a number of ways, but that's not what is going to make a turbo work well/not work well. Lot of ways to skin a cat eh!?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Haaha. Now a comedian. Psssst, this is not an automobile thread. lol

Ok, last time. It appears there is some confusion. This is the new Boondocker Sidekick Auto, for snowmobiles. It is the latest in turbo technology available, "for snowmobiles". The only two stroke turbo kit available with this technology. Electronic Boost Control and TPS giving everyone the latest technology in performance, reliability, and rideability.

Please give everyone else in the community the courtesy and respect to be free to engage in constructive and productive questions and answers.

Thank you.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if the EPA gets involved with Silber reflashing the ECU for their kits. Seen it a number of times in the industry with other manufacturers changing the manufacturers certified EPA fuel tuning. But that’s a whole other issue.

I would like to see a pump gas turbo shootout. Bring your 850, drain all the gas out. All sleds fill up at the same pump, no fuel additives. Silber, MPI, boondocker, turbo perf, would be a fun day.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I just dream of a pull and go Turbo. I call BS on anyone who thinks you can just add gas to a turbo and call it good. The guys that get away with that ride 5 times a year and it from the Snopark to a hill to drink beer...

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if the EPA gets involved with Silber reflashing the ECU for their kits. Seen it a number of times in the industry with other manufacturers changing the manufacturers certified EPA fuel tuning. But that’s a whole other issue.

I would like to see a pump gas turbo shootout. Bring your 850, drain all the gas out. All sleds fill up at the same pump, no fuel additives. Silber, MPI, boondocker, turbo perf, would be a fun day.

That would be awesome! I totally agree. We should do it ! Brice, Justin, myself, the gang! Reunion and boost ! Totally a great idea.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I just dream of a pull and go Turbo. I call BS on anyone who thinks you can just add gas to a turbo and call it good. The guys that get away with that ride 5 times a year and it from the Snopark to a hill to drink beer...

Well you don't have to dream anymore. I fought the same things for years. I totally understand. I ride a minimum of 3 times a week and nothing is on a road or flat land. Here in Northern Mt, it is straight up everywhere. Not considered fun for a lot of folks, but its what we grew up learning to ride. If we get bored, It's Revelstoke, Golden, or Wyoming.

And yes !!! I pull it in the shop to thaw out. Load it, fill with premium and oil, and ride. Go home, unload and eat dinner, repeat again....

Finally we have it !!!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Talking with Chris brown, bone mentioned he starred renting out turbo poos this year and it's been a success, sleds been running solid and get more rent off them.. Hard to beleve, but that was his reply.. Silber

S
Dec 3, 2017
I have a 2016 corvette stingray and I supercharged it to almost 600 rear wheel horsepower 598 on the Dyno, used stock ECM and stock injectors, no piggy back controller. I drives, runs, responds and sounds like absolutely stock until you get into the boost, again it's all stock Dyno tuned ecm. I would not want a piggy back controller on that car. I have a question if the boost level is changing to maintain a horsepower setting starting at 5 pounds when it modulates up to 10 or so to maintain horsepower at higher elevation won't the fuel need to change with boost. Wouldn't you need higher octane at higher boost then be over octane at lower boost affecting the throttle response?

Premium Features