• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
This is for the guys over 50. I an slowing down a little. Been on a Polaris since 93, but I am worried the Axys may be a little aggressive for my deminishing skills. I put a 174 on it and it's a ton better. Thinking about making a change the next time, probably next fall. Still got lots of riding in me. What are you riding and do is it work for you?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Me and my kid and three of his buddies ride 800 155" RMK's. We ride Montana/Idaho for the most part. I don't know anything about a 174. I did have a 163" but I think I would still stay with the 155" $.02

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
If you feel your skills are diminishing, it's time for school. Go learn new skills from guys like, Dan Adams, or find someone thru a snowmobile club. If you're just over 50, you've got a lot of years to go. I'm only 46, but my father and his buddy are 75 and 76 years young. They keep up with us youngsters and we don't exactly ride the easy backcountry, to put it modestly.

They both ride 163s, one is turboed. I think that's the best length for older riders. I've ridden a 174 and thought it was just too much sled to throw around. Especially when stuck, and I stuck that 174 a lot! It was a Doo though...

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I don't know, I'm 68 and one of my riding buddies is 81 we both ride Skidoo 850's. I'm not totally sure what you are asking but in my book, if you are out riding that's half the game. The rest depends on knowledge from the last 30 years and how well you apply it today. We still ride, maybe not as hard as we once did.

reifnote@msn.com

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
Rifle CO
Older Riders

It's good to see others out there that have a "few" years under their belt. I am 76 years young, and have been riding 48 years. (since 1969) I ride a slightly modded M-1000 162. Will quit when they pry my cold dead fingers from the handlebars. MY.02.

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
I just turned 60 and am in the middle of transitioning from my 2016 Proclimb 800 162 stage 3 to a Husky 501 with a Snowtech 137. I still enjoy the sled but the bike has me pumped for the season. Age is only a number, took my first motorcycle skills class from Jimmy Lewis this summer on my BMW R1200GS after buying my first bike at 12yo.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
No intentions of taking it easy and I'm 63 years on this planet. Started riding as a kid in the late sixties and picked it back up in 1992, been riding each winter since. Ride with a couple guys that are well into their late 70's and one who is 81 and they ride at a high level in the mountains.

Currently riding a Summit X 850 165 and love it.

Will likely be trying out the bikes this winter to see if that is something that fits.

Last edited:

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
This is for the guys over 50. I an slowing down a little. Been on a Polaris since 93, but I am worried the Axys may be a little aggressive for my deminishing skills. I put a 174 on it and it's a ton better. Thinking about making a change the next time, probably next fall. Still got lots of riding in me. What are you riding and do is it work for you?

I am 62 and the thought of slowing down is not on my agenda. :spider:

1238748_10201126642020844_1956898327_n.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The axys chassis is definately very aggressive for hard techinical terrain but can be a little rough for fun cruising and exploring. The G4 chassis is definately "smoother" and a little easier to ride all day if your not going for the toughest terrain on the hill.

My dad just turned 53 and loves ripping his snowbike. It allows him to chase the younger folks in the crowd around all day and have a blast. We all are running 154/155 length turbos in the trees and he has a blast chasing us around. He likes to steal the sleds when we get in some more open terrain but is thankful for the bike when we get into the super hairy terrain.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I'm from Eastern Idaho also.
I'm 48 and hope I don't ever have to slow down. I don't attack the nastiest gnarliest crap I can find but I've never done that.
I carry a shovel and do more of it than I used to but my back isn't a 25 year old's anymore either. I am not afraid to get stuck and go out with the attitude that it is going to happen before the day is over. Either from pushing myself or just plain screwing up. Usually it happens multiple times from both over the course of the day.

I am not the oldest guy in our group but when the younguns get in trouble I am the one that usually has to go get em.

Let's hook up and go for a ride this winter.

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
I'm from Eastern Idaho also.
I'm 48 and hope I don't ever have to slow down. I don't attack the nastiest gnarliest crap I can find but I've never done that.
I carry a shovel and do more of it than I used to but my back isn't a 25 year old's anymore either. I am not afraid to get stuck and go out with the attitude that it is going to happen before the day is over. Either from pushing myself or just plain screwing up. Usually it happens multiple times from both over the course of the day.

I am not the oldest guy in our group but when the younguns get in trouble I am the one that usually has to go get em.

Let's hook up and go for a ride this winter.

You forgot to add cat herder. Lol.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i'm 73, ride a 16 m-8000....y-pipe, tki drive, ti can, just put a 174 on my previous 162....looking forward to another season....i work out pretty hard with weights and stair master, rowing, bike and my own routine using hand dumb-bells....the group i rode with for years have all given up for various reasons...i still go to the same places, hook up with different groups in the parking lot, don't mention my age and with a helmet and gear on, they won't know until i've already established my ability to ride...i also frequently ride alone, but am careful about where i go...i carry a "spot" and a satellite phone, have a good survival pack with storm parka, also lots of outdoor experience with several survival schools, i backpack, hunt elk (took a very nice 6 point), packed him out by myself....not giving up or in to age just yet...:face-icon-small-ton

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
slyrydr is absolutely correct. For me once I hit 55. I started losing muscle mass and flexibility. I can't stress how much working out helps mentally and physically. I personally had to drop to an 153 but all we do now is ride in trees. For inspiration think of working out as a new mod that your buddy doesn't know about!:face-icon-small-hap

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I'm only 51 but ride a lot with guys younger than me. I'm a tree rider and love to ride aggressively. Riding is my passion. Love the technical stuff. Nothing like rolling it up on one ski, feeling the surface of the snow dragging ever so slightly on your arm, just brushing that tree with your ski. Then having to cut hard back the other way to miss the next, off the throttle to not catch too much air over a downed tree and then pinning it to get enough mo to get up the next part of your line. The feeling that you and your sled are one. Nothing else gives me that rush.

I find it hard sometimes to find riding partners who want to spend a day in the trees. Everyone talks about it but many don't come back for a second ride ;) But some of that may have something to do with my people skills :eek: Remember last year rode for the first time with a couple of guys in their early 30's when we got back one of them said they had never been so glad to get back to the truck. I took that as the ultimate compliment.

Have ridden something since I was 4 and will be riding something until I leave this planet. I'm a mechanic so my job is physical which helps keep me somewhat in shape. Skill and a true drive to ride hard is the greatest advantage I've found. You gotta want it! I'm usually still the one pushing the group to keep going. If we get back before dark when I call my wife she asks me what went wrong...

Last edited:

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
Good to see "older than me" riders out there! I feel I have a lot left in me also. Keeping in shape and all. Getting harder to find guys to ride with tho. Just put a big bore on my 2013 Summitx.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
49 and usually ride with younger guys. Two guys above hit the nail on the head. As we get older what you do in the off-season becomes increasingly important. You can't sit around all summer and expect your body to perform. For young and old I suggest a dedicated workout routine heavy on the weights side. Nothing battles age better! Age will not beat me easily lol

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk

Premium Features