• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calumet and surrounding areas

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
Hey guys so I booked a backcountry snowmobile clinic for my wife and it's in calumet Michigan. I've never ridden in Michigan. What kind of off trail riding can I expect? Anyone on here ride around there? I'm looking for some info so we can plan our trip.

W
Jan 15, 2017
You will not be disappointed for having her in the class or being up there. Our group put the girls in the class twice in South Range and then proceeded to put no more than 40 miles on and never got very far from town. Also, you will have a more confident partner to ride with as Stef helps them find their own style and shows them that they can do more with their sled than they ever thought they could.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
You will not be disappointed for having her in the class or being up there. Our group put the girls in the class twice in South Range and then proceeded to put no more than 40 miles on and never got very far from town. Also, you will have a more confident partner to ride with as Stef helps them find their own style and shows them that they can do more with their sled than they ever thought they could.

Thank you! She's very excited to do the class and I've gotten a lot of good feedback about thee clinic she's taken so I know it was a good choice.

Any info on riding around that area. I'm hoping to bring a buddy with me to ride with While she's in her clinic. I think we're gonna stay at the trail side lodge. We're hoping to just venture out from there and go find places to play! Is that possible? None of us have ridden in Michigan before.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
I know this is a touch late but you will find yourself in the trees 90% of the time. It's usually a lot of fun and a lot of technical riding. She'll get use to eyeballing and picking a line real quick here.

Enjoy!!!

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
I know this is a touch late but you will find yourself in the trees 90% of the time. It's usually a lot of fun and a lot of technical riding. She'll get use to eyeballing and picking a line real quick here.

Enjoy!!!

Nope not late at all. The trip is booked for this up coming season. Second weekend in January I think. It's a clinic with Stephanie Swartz. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect while I'm there. She'll be busy with the clinic Saturday and Sunday so I'm looking to find someone who wants to meet up and go riding. I don't know the area and I'm not really looking to go ride alone in a place I'm not familiar with.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
It’s an awesome area! And that class looks really sweet!

Calumet has some good restaurants and things to do, maybe not as much as Houghton, but Houghton only 25-30 min South and worth a stop while your in town as well. As far as snowmobiling, keep in touch as the date gets closer maybe we can coordinate a day to go riding. I’m not far from there, and if you have any other questions about the area just let me know, I’d be glad to help out.
Also check out www.johndee.com for more detailed information on the Keweenaw/Western UP

Take Care!

-Stack

Premium Features