• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive gear down with Pro pulleys.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Have a question did I miss it or not remember it but does the AXYS
RMK 800 163 have 7t or 8t drivers from the factory on the 2.6 track?
gtwitch in wyoming

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Have a question did I miss it or not remember it but does the AXYS
RMK 800 163 have 7t or 8t drivers from the factory on the 2.6 track?
gtwitch in wyoming

7 tooth drivers

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
If anybody's looking for a set of pro rmk pulleys pm me. I turned my sled back to stock to sell so I have a set.

X

xr650r

Oct 28, 2010
donnelly ,Id
Clutching

Bump.........

Been reading through this and a few other threads reference gearing down the Axys.

For those of you who have done the factory "Pro" gear down, I've got a few questions.

First off, I'm running a 17 Axys 163 / 2.6 with the SLP pipe / can combo. Right now I'm still running the stock clutching but I'm leaning towards the SLP blue / pink for the primary and the black purple for the secondary. Also considering the SLP Magnum weights.

What are you guys running for clutching? Did you change the helix or just leave the stock one?

What are the part numbers for the Pro gears ?

And the big question...........is this the ticket or should a guy just go with Kurt's gear down or go a step further and go with TKI ???? Thoughts, what's the best bang for the buck???????

Just looking for some advice as I want to do a little work this summer, so next season she's not the same ......:face-icon-small-win

First off looks like your in North Dakota if I'm not mistaken. You should call Carls Cycle in Boise Idaho number is 208-853-5550 ask them what clutching you should use for your elevation you ride at . I guarantee you they have the best clutching for the axys! Be a helix , spring secondary bearing, and primary weights. Jack Struthers is the best clutch guru. They can also give you very good advice on the gearing your asking about! Put your trust in Carls you will be glad you did.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
First off looks like your in North Dakota if I'm not mistaken. You should call Carls Cycle in Boise Idaho number is 208-853-5550 ask them what clutching you should use for your elevation you ride at . I guarantee you they have the best clutching for the axys! Be a helix , spring secondary bearing, and primary weights. Jack Struthers is the best clutch guru. They can also give you very good advice on the gearing your asking about! Put your trust in Carls you will be glad you did.

Thanks !!

Don't ride it here in ND. very at all, a 163" isn't that fun around here, ha ha. Most of our riding is Cooke, West Yellowstone, Island Park and occasionally the Big Horns. I'll defiantly give them a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Thanks Murph, I thought this was the case, so if you put PRO pulleys on the 16-17-18 AXYS it is even lower geared because of the 7 tooth drivers and should make mountain (high altitude) riding more responsive. I am still riding my 11 PRO 163 but in hopes for Santa to put an 18 AXYS in the December stocking!
gtwitch in wyoming

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Bump.............

Well, I picked up a set of new 15 Pro quick drive gears a while back and was bored this evening, so went out and threw them on.

Getting the stock gears off was easy but getting my meat hooks in that area for install was a little interesting. I have a set of the Happy Face install tools so that definitely helped. I don't think I would want to try to install this setup with the zip tie method, as the belt did in fact tighten up with this combination.

So basically for a refresh on this topic the following is what was installed if anyone is looking for part numbers and info.

Top gear, part number 3222204 (for the Pro)
Bottom gear, part number 3222220 (for the Pro)

Stock Axys quick drive belt

Primary - SLP blue / pink
Secondary - black / purple
Weights - SLP magnum
Stock Helix

Sled is a 17 Axys / 163 with the 2.6 track

Hoping the combination works well.........only bad part is now the waiting....:face-icon-small-dis

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Does anyone have a set of pro quick drive gears they want to sell or know where I can find them reasonably priced?

I've sold all of the new take off pairs I had, all I have left is a few upper sprockets. PM me if you’re in need.

Last edited:

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
has anyone experienced a drop in rpm after swapping to pro gears?

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Last yr on my 16, the gear down made my rpm go up just a bit. Not much, but definitely did not make them go down.....

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Yes
Gear down , rpm down, gear up , rpm up

Yup, gearing down = less torque feedback thus needing lighter clutch weights. I now have 3 rides on my pro pulleys on my axys and all i can say is i wish i did it sooner. Im still pulling 8150-8200 but i think im going to lighten up the weights still and see what happens.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Running Kurt's OffRoad gear down kit on my boosted setup and loving the bottom end change. Ran his gear down kit on my Pro and it was one of the biggest butt dyno changes I did to the sled.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
thanks guys, i swapped the stock axys gears back in just to see if i have something else goin on like TPS. i'm running 60 weights at 8-9k' and an barely touch 8100. everyone else is hitting 8300 with 62s. pretty frustrating. I like how the gear down feels though.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
thanks guys, i swapped the stock axys gears back in just to see if i have something else goin on like TPS. i'm running 60 weights at 8-9k' and an barely touch 8100. everyone else is hitting 8300 with 62s. pretty frustrating. I like how the gear down feels though.

Have you checked your engine mounts and Torque arm?

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Have you checked your engine mounts and Torque arm?

i have not, its on the list now. Rode today with stock axys gears, no rpm change. idle is at 1850-1900 which just got adjusted to "spec" at the dealer after a water pump leak and i asked him to check it. seems a little high.

Premium Features