• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 BELT EATER! [2017 Ski Doo 850 Rev G4 clutching/belt fix?] Belt Issues

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Belt number 13 today. 14 is not far behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lemon law!
Your crank is or going to be fubar
6efcd73053f27cf01c862181afd7235d.png

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
550 miles of powder and steep riding. Original belt, no venting, added weight in primary.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Belts are 180-190. I have not heard of anyone getting belts on warranty.

Since Doo is denying they have a belt issue.
My dealer said they would submit warranty claim but buy greatly helps if you catch the belt BEFORE it goes when just showing wear. Well how often is that going to happen? Who stops every 10 minutes and checks a belt? In Pr's they said they would still try but chances are less.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I have a 100% stock clutch setup. 400 miles on the sled, and the belt looks good as new. I've. Been running clicker 2 at 7000-8500 and clicker 3 at 8500-1000. Would I benefit from adding weight to the clutch?

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I have a 100% stock clutch setup. 400 miles on the sled, and the belt looks good as new. I've. Been running clicker 2 at 7000-8500 and clicker 3 at 8500-1000. Would I benefit from adding weight to the clutch?

Did you get your Unicorn from Felkers?
What RPM ya seeing?

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I don't believe there are as many people having issues compared to how many people are not having issues. Graham doesn't say much just keeps blowing belts without caring, or so doesn't seem he has done much about it. Maybe I missed something about his efforts to figure the problem but at lease dealer is replacing his belts.

Anyways, I thought clicker settings didn't affect top engine RPM to compensate for elevation change? Only the way the clutch behaves on engagement. This was my understanding, so why are people adjusting clickers for different elevation? Or am I behind on this matter?

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Clickers are for max rpm, which changes with elevation/air density, normally aspirated. Nothing to do with engagement. Engagement is changed with the primary spring, ramp profiles.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Clickers are for max rpm, which changes with elevation/air density, normally aspirated. Nothing to do with engagement. Engagement is changed with the primary spring, ramp profiles.

Doesn't changing the clickers on the G4 adjust the ramp profile on the pDrive?

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
"Clicker position is NOT for changing engine speed at full throttle

(NOTE - I will post force diagrams of different clicker positions to show what the positions do on the upshift and "Track speed" (shift ratio) AND engine speed change)

The clicker only changes the way the clutch pushes off the very bottom end.

You can make the clutch feel "revvy" or "less revvy" being more aggressive.

You must change engine speed with pivot bolt weight - THEE END

The clickers are NOT there to change engine speed like the older TRA.

If you put the clicker down to #1 it will be the most revvy....and still 7900-8000

If you put the clicker up to #5 it will be the least revvy, most aggressive...and still 7900-8000

If you are running say 8100 with 14.7 grams pivot then no matter what clicker you are on, you must add 1 full gram and go to 15.7 grams pivot to push the engine speed down to 7900"

This is straight from Dynamo Joe's website, I don't want to say he is wrong haha?

Last edited:
J

jsenske

Sep 7, 2012
UP Michigan
Mine and my buddies both blew belts before break in. We are doing what we can to remedy issue. Hoping skidoo does something as we shouldn't have to. I think it's a combination of engine flex and some clutch calibration but just my opinion. The clickers adjustment does seam to affect top RPM for me but not a whole lot. If you aren't having issues it's easy to say there isn't a problem. I never smoked my belt or did high speed runs. Tried to break it in and at 165 miles it was in pieces.

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Mine and my buddies both blew belts before break in. We are doing what we can to remedy issue. Hoping skidoo does something as we shouldn't have to. I think it's a combination of engine flex and some clutch calibration but just my opinion. The clickers adjustment does seam to affect top RPM for me but not a whole lot. If you aren't having issues it's easy to say there isn't a problem. I never smoked my belt or did high speed runs. Tried to break it in and at 165 miles it was in pieces.

I'm not saying I don't believe some people are having issues. I know it is there but it isn't on every single model out there. So to be scared away from buying this machine makes no sense. It is a luck of the draw type of thing it seems, which sucks.

What I'm getting at is if people believe they are having problems because of too much rpm and then adjust their clickers to compensate are they potentially doing more damage as they don't realize clicker position doesn't affect RPM. Instead clicker position should be used as snow conditions vary. If you want to change engine speed change weight. Although, yes, RPM might slightly be affected by clicker change it isn't substantial.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Pulled my first cord on a belt today. Right at 612 mi, and I had been flogging it in over the hood powder for an hour and 42 minutes pretty much non stop. Belt didn't grenade, just pulled about an inch of cord, so now it will be a spare. No complaints at all with the belt life, I was abusing it hard today. Sure is a fun sled in the deep stuff though.

Last edited:
Premium Features