• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Have a 16 Snowcheck with 4 year warranty and having problems with relays again....First time it was covered,

This time was told by dealer I need to buy a cover or an enclosed trailer.

With the overthehood snow this year there is always steam coming out of the hood, how long do you really think non waterproof relays are going to last.

4 year bumper to bumper means 4 year bumper to bumper, doesn't mean I have to buy jacks*** because you built an inadequate wiring harness.

Last edited by a moderator:

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
When relays act up.. no gauge and exhaust valve don't activate. Sled run like crap as if hitting Rev limiter at 6000 Rpms. Some of the places we go I WILL NOT be able to get out of when this happens. Luckily last time was able to tap on relays and get working again but could not shut sled off or it would act up again. This is the second set of relays, they last about 400 miles. Not 100 % sure but think the standard guage is the one that has relays the fancy one does not.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
My sleds always trailer in an enclosed, with a cover on an open trailer, or uncovered on a deck (which is about the same as riding the sled down the trail). Have had constant problems with the relays. Exhaust valve codes pop up. I have the "fancy" gauge and that continues to work when the relays are having issues. This happened to all 4 of the axys' in our group the same day in revy last spring. Not an uncommon issue.

S
Nov 27, 2007
When relays act up.. no gauge and exhaust valve don't activate. Sled run like crap as if hitting Rev limiter at 6000 Rpms. Some of the places we go I WILL NOT be able to get out of when this happens. Luckily last time was able to tap on relays and get working again but could not shut sled off or it would act up again. This is the second set of relays, they last about 400 miles. Not 100 % sure but think the standard guage is the one that has relays the fancy one does not.

Look to see if your wires for the capacitor rubbed thru on the clutch cover

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I will look at that, but last weekend if I tapped on relays while sled was running they would work again.....And yes they have die electric grease on them.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
IMO this is unacceptable on a sled that's only a year old and cost $13000 to $14,000 if they don't fix it I'll spend my money elsewhere next time.....

With the simple fix of using waterproof or at least not "open" electrical components. These sleds were from multiple different dealerships as well, just fyi.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
With the simple fix of using waterproof or at least not "open" electrical components. These sleds were from multiple different dealerships as well, just fyi.

Is there a waterproof relay available? I asked a couple of dealers, they said No. That's when they told me a cover or enclosed trailer is recommended. If so a part # would be great.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Is there a waterproof relay available? I asked a couple of dealers, they said No. That's when they told me a cover or enclosed trailer is recommended. If so a part # would be great.

I know that you should not have to but take your new relays and brush some liquid electrical tape on them this will act as a waterproofing. I go over every connector like this everywhere that a wire connects to some sort of connector.
I cannot believe the piss poor wiring and connectors on these sleds.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
The relay/wire harness is bush league at best for a sled costing this much. Last year had my power valve relay act up when riding in hood deep powder. Very fustrating as few times I had a severe lack of power & got stuck in bad spots. Since then I moved the relays in a upright position & covered them with a velcro bag. This is something Polaris should have done from the get go. There also is not enough protection for the wire harness near the clutch belt shield. I have added another cover to help protect the wires in that area.

The dealer stating you should transport the sled in a enclosed trailer is a moron. If you ride in powder or roll the sled after getting stuck you will have water/moisture drop down onto the relays. I now carry a spare set of relays along with a TSS bypass.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Does someone have a pic of these relays? I am not familiar with the newest Polaris but there has to be a better way.

Premium Features