• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The bulkhead

G
Jan 30, 2010
I fully admit I am to blame on snagging a stone. Problem is they claimed the front end was to be stronger and the a arms would fail first. This is not happening. You wait until it's your turn, or are you the perfect rider it will never happen too. Wait your turn and see what u think. It is not BRP's fault for us guys hitting stuff but there is a problem with the design that is there problem.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Crash into a rock with your car or truck who do you blame?

:face-icon-small-win

I've seen several videos now that actually showed how little it took to cause bulkheads to break... I agreed with you for about the first month. Now, however, I know that they're comically easy to break. I should also add that I haven't broken either of the 850 bulkheads on this end.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
I fully admit I am to blame on snagging a stone. Problem is they claimed the front end was to be stronger and the a arms would fail first. This is not happening. You wait until it's your turn, or are you the perfect rider it will never happen too. Wait your turn and see what u think. It is not BRP's fault for us guys hitting stuff but there is a problem with the design that is there problem.

Have we even seen more than a couple arm failures yet?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
weak/expensive bulkhead repairs....clutches that get hot/shred belts....say again why the G4 is an improvement ?....isn't that what we've had for the last several years....better engine, i hope so, time will tell....:face-icon-small-dis

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Had s buddy take his out on a rock a couple weeks ago. Hit pretty hard on the A-arm. Crackedcthe shiz outta the bulk head. $900 for parts and a lot of garage time.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
I am glad I kept my (heavily braced) XM for this year. After playing the R&D guinea pig on a couple of manufacturers race programs for years, I am now content to wait for the later year models in a new generation. You know, the ones that have all the bugs worked out.

Funny how Cat, in general, doesn't have chassis strength issues these days. No castings for bulkhead on ProClimbs though.......

People on the Axys forum complain about how weak their a arms are, but I would take weak a arms any day over a weak bulkhead. Seems like Ski Doo needs to re-engineer a little and create a weak spot at the a arms.

I am sure it will be resolved in due time- in time for me to snocheck an '18!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This bulkhead issue is garbage ! A friend just had a ski skeg hit and 5000 bucks in damage ! Skidoo knows there is a problem and they arent lifting a finger to help anyone. Talk about a ****ty way to look after the people that are paying for your research and development ! Lets here something from the Doo reps. Norona ? What are you being told to say ?? The G4 works great but its just like 2008 all over again ! Doo better start stepping up on these bulkheads !

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
whats a breakdown of cost? most of that 5 grand must be shop time?.the bulkhead alone cant cost that much?

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Buddy of mine cracked his on a light rock hit to the ski. He's saying BRP is covering it and supposed to be covering the others?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

G
Jan 30, 2010
Well I would like to see them cover them, I have had no response from my dealer about BRP covering it. Dealer REP says he only knows of mine and 1 other one!!!!!!!!!!! Look on the god dam forums you dumb asses, seems to be more then just a couple. Like I said before Norona is no where to be found to comment on this now.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Sounds like Grip n Rip has a brace kit coming soon. I know it doesn't solve the issue but may keep people on the snow longer.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Well I would like to see them cover them, I have had no response from my dealer about BRP covering it. Dealer REP says he only knows of mine and 1 other one!!!!!!!!!!! Look on the god dam forums you dumb asses, seems to be more then just a couple. Like I said before Norona is no where to be found to comment on this now.

He did comment in another thread about it and if you read it may indicate why he has not responded.

I'm going to comment less myself on these threads because I don't mean to add fuel to the fire by speculating but I will be following intently.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My guess he is not commenting because everyone is going to climb down his throat for a problem he can't fix. The only thing he would say is be careful and ride in better snow. I doubt that will make anyone happy.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
From what I can tell, the G4 modules are about the same strength as the XP's and XM's. We all (reasonably) expected better due to the redesign, but that appears to be a fail. The aftermarket fixes (GnR braces, AI a-arms, RPM skid plate, etc.) will be available soon, and they aren't really all that expensive or difficult to install, compared to the cost of the sled or a module repair. Mainly a hassle IMO, but within my expectations for a first year sled. I'm more concerned about the belt issues, because that affects run ability. Compared to past Doo sled releases, this one really lives up to the performance improvement hype. But, you can't enjoy that performance, if you're worrying about the belt all the time.

C
Feb 8, 2014
I told a low speed hit from a stump while carving.snapped the engine modual stupid how the top back a arm mount is on the flimsy engine modual and not the more beefy suspention modual. FYI had a cat before and it took way harder hits and no damage.:brokenheart:

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
The proto type sleds had stronger or better material I am guessing.
Production sleds have been changed as with all the abuse the proto sleds seen they would have broke .
Some engineer or bean counter decided to change final design or supplier.
IMO

Premium Features