• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

91' Phazer 2 engine noise

G
Dec 7, 2016
I have a 1991 Phazer 2 in which i work on myself. It runs good but has a noise in the engine, soundslike something dragging sorta like brake pads.
One day it was idling in the garage around 1500-2000 RPM and all of the sudden it seized and killed the motor. I took off the heads and didn't see any damage. I was able to put a socket wrench on the primary and turn the motor over and it broke free. I put the heads back on and it started right back up and runs. I have good compression (same as a 1992 Phazer 2 I have) in both cylinders.
Any help with where someone thinks the noise by be coming from would be appreciated. It sounds like it is coming from the cluch side.
Sled has around 4400 miles on it.
A neighbor said he thinks it coming from the fan but its too hard to tell.
Thoughts?

J
Feb 27, 2009
Michigan
Phazer noise

Is fan belt tight or loose. Loose will cause running hot. Take fan belt off and restart. Noise gone? then probably bearing bad that fan rides on. Still have noise, maybe oil pump no pumping enough or not at all, causing probably crank bearing noise. Were top of pistons showing any non normal characteristics?

G
Dec 7, 2016
Is fan belt tight or loose. Loose will cause running hot. Take fan belt off and restart. Noise gone? then probably bearing bad that fan rides on. Still have noise, maybe oil pump no pumping enough or not at all, causing probably crank bearing noise. Were top of pistons showing any non normal characteristics?

I'll look at the fan belt this weekend. Could be the oil pump but i had pre mixed the gas and it still made the noise. The pistons looked fine for having 4500 miles on them.
Thanksfor the speedy reply!

G
Dec 7, 2016
Everything looks good. I pulled the heads off and checked cylinder walls and for lose piston rings. Everything was good and the fan belt seems to be OK. I think if there is anything causing the noise it might be deeper in the motor.
It starts right up, idles and runs fine. Who knows what it could be? The sled was given to me so it's not like it can't be fixed.

Premium Features