• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

garage shop choices

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Who's a heater expert here?

I'm not sure if this heater works but it's been laying around since I bought the place. I suppose I should get heat figured out soon!

I need a chimney of some sort and probably need some double wall to go through the roof. Is there a specific distance the double wall needs to be above and below the roof? I've heard the top of the pipe has to be above the peak too? Is that still true for a gas stove? What about an intake? I've almost asfyxiated myself in my trailer by burning all the oxygen out!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
With the plumbing of the propane, digging a trench, chimney, intake vent, and wasted floor space in mind I just said forget it and went electric! Figuring the price of propane vs an increase in my electric bill added to the price of convenience will probably be a wash

It looks like for my space I need about 10000 watts or 40000 btu's of heat. These little heaters are 7500 watts each so with two I should be all right

They were each 130$ online, then the wire, breakers, conduit, and such. But once again I can just flip a switch and have heat, what's that worth?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Some of those little electric heaters work surprisingly well, just plan on keeping them on alot. They work best when you plan on keeping/maintaining a constant temp.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Got my ceiling painted this weekend, and learned something in the process. Not all paints are created equal! Asking around everyone suggested ceiling paint since it's cheaper. Even the home depot paint pros said that. After all of it I disagree for this application. If I do it again I'll use outdoor paint, and it will also be the paint and primer in one.
All the old exposed wood had thirty year old treat that kept bleeding through every paint coat. I sprayed it the first time then looking the next morning the streaks that bled through were unacceptable so I went back over it with a brush and a roller four more times. It was hell
After it dried I noticed a couple trails in the paint from some condensation that ran through the wet paint. I foresee when I have large temp variations I'll have a little condensation which will likely lead to white rain drops on whatever I bring in which is unfortunate

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
My insulation guy told me to use cheap paint, because it would take several coats regardless of whether I use cheap paint or good paint.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
the insulation painted over in one coat, just had trouble on the old wood leeching through. and just speculating the indoor paint with the condensation is going to make white drops in the future.

good advise to anyone doing celing paint, do it right after the foam goes on. when the shops still empty, the lights aren't up, the celing is a blank slate so you don't have to mask all that crap off! it was a bad time

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Finally think I've run out of shop building projects with the completion of this over elaborate masterpiece!

Started as a bunch of scrap like this small pile

Then a boat load of cutting grinding sanding fitting welding head scratching I came to this
Looks pretty good considering every piece was bent and heavily rusted

Any guesses

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
With the plumbing of the propane, digging a trench, chimney, intake vent, and wasted floor space in mind I just said forget it and went electric! Figuring the price of propane vs an increase in my electric bill added to the price of convenience will probably be a wash

It looks like for my space I need about 10000 watts or 40000 btu's of heat. These little heaters are 7500 watts each so with two I should be all right

They were each 130$ online, then the wire, breakers, conduit, and such. But once again I can just flip a switch and have heat, what's that worth?

Generally heat calculation is 10 watts per square foot.

Premium Features