• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driving to Revelstoke

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
If you are running a diesel you can fill it with red dyed offroad and run that up in Canada. They have red diesel up there anyway.
You could save a few bucks more that way also.

Either way a slip tank full of fuel will almost pay for itself on a trip like this.

No diesel in the new rig. But an extra 35 gallons of premium would be nice to have.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have snowmobiled in Ontario and Quebec. But never where you are going. I want to go in March so I hope you can let me know how you liked it and any info you can pass on.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have snowmobiled in Ontario and Quebec. But never where you are going. I want to go in March so I hope you can let me know how you liked it and any info you can pass on.

Absolutely!! There will be a full review of this trip and lots of pictures once I get back. This is a bucket list trip for me and we are planning to hit Grizzly lodge for a few days and then REVY for 3 also to get a chance to see some of the area for planning our next trip up there as I know will want to go back!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Things I know about riding in Canada from ten years ago, so my info maybe outdated.
Don't go with anyone who has had a DUI unless they made the prior arrangements.
Sleds have to have proof of insurance.
Sleds have to be registered and numbers displayed.
Trail permits.
Alcohol not allowed on queens land.*
Make sure no one has any paper work or identification etc. that is expired.
No pepper spray.
When crossing never volunteer information. Only answer questions. Make sure everyone is on the same page. One time I was asked if we had extra gas and I said no. Then my buddy in the back said yes I have a two gallon can on my sled. So the guard said park over there and come in the building. So they did a back ground check on all of us and went thru the sleds and truck trailer, etc. We left about an hour and a half after that.
Use your credit card for everything. That way the exchange rate is done automatically.
*We did violate this rule more than once.:face-icon-small-dis

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
If you live on Lake of the Woods you know everything I mentioned. I just wanted to pass info on for others.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If you live on Lake of the Woods you know everything I mentioned. I just wanted to pass info on for others.

My cabin is just south of Lake of the Woods area, I actually live about 5 hours south of that on the north side of the Twin Cities. I cross the border a few times each year but never with any toys, just a truck is all. Plus when I cross usually someone I'm with knows the border guards it always seems so it's always a pretty simple crossing.

Grizzly Lodge? Where is that?

Just north of Scotch Creek, BC. https://grizzlylodge.ca

It's a ride in Snowmobile lodge. Pretty incredible place actually.

Things I know about riding in Canada from ten years ago, so my info maybe outdated.
Don't go with anyone who has had a DUI unless they made the prior arrangements.
Sleds have to have proof of insurance.
Sleds have to be registered and numbers displayed.
Trail permits.
Alcohol not allowed on queens land.*
Make sure no one has any paper work or identification etc. that is expired.
No pepper spray.
When crossing never volunteer information. Only answer questions. Make sure everyone is on the same page. One time I was asked if we had extra gas and I said no. Then my buddy in the back said yes I have a two gallon can on my sled. So the guard said park over there and come in the building. So they did a back ground check on all of us and went thru the sleds and truck trailer, etc. We left about an hour and a half after that.
Use your credit card for everything. That way the exchange rate is done automatically.
*We did violate this rule more than once.:face-icon-small-dis

I'm pretty sure most of this holds true still today. I know the DUI thing still does and the only answer the questions with simple answers thing for sure still does. I also know that your buddy better not have a handgun in the center console of his truck.......:face-icon-small-con

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
I did a similar drive last year except I started further East in Ontario. I went down around the lake through Chicago, then worked my way west into North Dakota. I crossed the border back into Canada in a town named Portal. Both border crossings took about 2 minutes a piece. Yes and no answers, only answer what they ask. I always keep my ownership, insurance etc. in the vehicle with me just in case. If you have a sled wrap make sure it doesn't cover up the stamped numbers on the tunnel just in case they decide to check (very rare).

Worked my way back up to Highway #1 (Trans Canada) and pretty much just stay on that road until you get to Revvy. Most of the Trans Canada is 110 km/hr (or 70 mph). Gas is more expensive here. Someone mentioned running dyed diesel up here. I can't speak for Alberta and BC as I don't know the laws there, but its a huge fine here in Ontario, and I would assume the rest of Canada so not sure I would risk that.

When you get to Calgary, DO THE SPEED LIMIT. They have photo radar and will bust you for everything. Its very bizarre. If the sign says 70 kph, people will be doing bang on 70 kph, everywhere else I've been there is always a buffer or 10 or so kph. I got a fine coming back from the mountains (between Banff and Calgary) for doing 12 over the speed limit. Nice little picture in the mail about 3 weeks later.
On the way out you will pass through a town called Golden. If you are itching to get a ride in, hit up Quartz Creek or Silent Pass in that area. Then finish your drive to Revvy that night.
Make sure you have cash when you get to the staging areas. You have to pay per day and its usually 20-25$ a sled.

I am hoping to make two trips this year. One late January and another mid March if I can find some people to go. The riding is amazing. Might have to try staying in the states a little further West this year just to see if its any faster. Fuel is definitely cheaper in the states and speed limits higher.

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
It would also be nice to know how many miles, time and cost, etc it took to make the trip. And where and where not on motels, restaurants, towns etc.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It would also be nice to know how many miles, time and cost, etc it took to make the trip. And where and where not on motels, restaurants, towns etc.

I will have all of this as I track all the miles and fuel costs anyway as I like to see how the truck and trailer are running and if any changes I make help or hurt MPG. I plan to put up a thread in this section for the trip with pictures along the way and I'll post the final numbers in there. As far as total cost I can also give a break down on that once we get back.

Best upfront guess $2,500 to $3,000.....
3,500 total miles round trip.
10 total days with hotel every night.
5-6 Days of riding (full days).
Lots of meals out as we are not taking much food with us for this trip.

That is of course is not counting the new truck and trailer I just picked up in the last couple weeks which I wanted to have specifically for this trip. :face-icon-small-coo

IMG_2301.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
And who ever said snowmobiling is expensive. :face-icon-small-hap
Nice set up you have there and thanks for the info now and in the future!
Sounds like they are getting snow out west now.
Cook 9"-12".
Bighorns 12"-16".
For here this morning the boob on the tube said 7"-14". Haven't heard an update since then.
Looks like Snowcross in Duluth will be a go. Cold weather next week.

J
Oct 21, 2015
Minnesota
Looking forward to this update as well! My friends and I have also talked about taking a trip to Revelstoke in the near future. It would be nice to know where you stayed, what you liked/didn't like about certain things.
Good luck, have fun. PS: take lots and lots of pictures!

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I'm from St. Cloud Mn. I have been to revy 6 times. Most recently in 2010. Plan on making a trip out there again in March. We have gone several routes. Straight north to Winnipeg and take continental 1 across to revy. Then 1 was pretty rough. They don't have trailer restrictions up there so the grooves in the road get pretty deep and fuel cost are more. Because of fuel costs and speed limits as well as road conditions we prefer to heading west to great falls and taking hwy 15 north into bc. We run diesel and have always brought 5 gallons extra with along with all tools to quickly change tires and fix bearings. Last trip we brought 150 gallons of aviation/race fuel along without an issue. Make sure you have all paper work with for yourself and all your rigs/sleds. I always felt safer traveling that far with 2 rigs having constant radio communication. Have made it in 24 hrs and has taken 34. Consider staying at a place that has secure parking lots. Via video surveillance or better yet a gated locked parking lot. Unfortunately theft if pretty common. Always wanted to stay at the grizzly but haven't. Stayed at peaks lodge and glacier house. Both are ride in ride out with dining and fuel on site. If you stay in town and trailer up I would suggest the hillcrest or days inn. Sledders friendly and good food. Locals for the most part are awesome. We met many over the years that I am still in contact with. You may be lucky enough to meet some that will be a tour guide for you. Although with the ski resort coming to town the area is certainly more eclectic than it used to be making locals a bit more jaded. Do your research and choose the place that best suits your needs and u can't go wrong. I have rode a lot of places in the continental us and nothing compares to the riding in revy. Absolutely breathtaking. Something for everyone and the riding area is enormous. If you want to pick my brain more feel free to pm me and we can get in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thank you for the info.

Days Inn is where we are staying for the 2nd half of the week after the recommendations from a few Snowesters. Still a little bit undecided on our main route up but we do plan to stay in the states for a bit headed west.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I'm from St. Cloud Mn. I have been to revy 6 times. Most recently in 2010. Plan on making a trip out there again in March. We have gone several routes. Straight north to Winnipeg and take continental 1 across to revy. Then 1 was pretty rough. They don't have trailer restrictions up there so the grooves in the road get pretty deep and fuel cost are more. Because of fuel costs and speed limits as well as road conditions we prefer to heading west to great falls and taking hwy 15 north into bc. We run diesel and have always brought 5 gallons extra with along with all tools to quickly change tires and fix bearings. Last trip we brought 150 gallons of aviation/race fuel along without an issue. Make sure you have all paper work with for yourself and all your rigs/sleds. I always felt safer traveling that far with 2 rigs having constant radio communication. Have made it in 24 hrs and has taken 34. Consider staying at a place that has secure parking lots. Via video surveillance or better yet a gated locked parking lot. Unfortunately theft if pretty common. Always wanted to stay at the grizzly but haven't. Stayed at peaks lodge and glacier house. Both are ride in ride out with dining and fuel on site. If you stay in town and trailer up I would suggest the hillcrest or days inn. Sledders friendly and good food. Locals for the most part are awesome. We met many over the years that I am still in contact with. You may be lucky enough to meet some that will be a tour guide for you. Although with the ski resort coming to town the area is certainly more eclectic than it used to be making locals a bit more jaded. Do your research and choose the place that best suits your needs and u can't go wrong. I have rode a lot of places in the continental us and nothing compares to the riding in revy. Absolutely breathtaking. Something for everyone and the riding area is enormous. If you want to pick my brain more feel free to pm me and we can get in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, thanks for the info, you did an excellent job. I have been to BC twice but that was in the summer, which at the time seemed like winter. :) Personally i would drive as much as I can in the states, preferably on the interstate. I am looking at March, but who knows. But I will PM you to pick your brain.:face-icon-small-con

skidawg

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2006
Wausau, Wisc.
We had a group of nine last year go to Revy for a full week and had a great time. We took 94 to Great Falls, 15 up to Calgary, the trans Canadian 1 to Revy, 28 hours. Coming back we took hwy 1 and crossed at Portal back home to Wisconsin 25 hours, for what it's worth. Stayed at the glacier house (very nice) and yes, you could ride from the lodge. Had a guide show us around the second day and then later on in the week, a couple local guys toured us around for one day at boulder, one day at turtle and then we went west over by sicomus, up some goat path, but in the end, turned out to be a great honey hole. Would for sure, like to get back there in the future:face-icon-small-hap

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009
We had a group of nine last year go to Revy for a full week and had a great time. We took 94 to Great Falls, 15 up to Calgary, the trans Canadian 1 to Revy, 28 hours. Coming back we took hwy 1 and crossed at Portal back home to Wisconsin 25 hours, for what it's worth. Stayed at the glacier house (very nice) and yes, you could ride from the lodge. Had a guide show us around the second day and then later on in the week, a couple local guys toured us around for one day at boulder, one day at turtle and then we went west over by sicomus, up some goat path, but in the end, turned out to be a great honey hole. Would for sure, like to get back there in the future:face-icon-small-hap

So you found Portal faster eh. That's the way I went last year. I was considering staying in the states longer this year, but 3 hours is 3 hours.

Premium Features