• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My wife wants to come mountain riding - what to buy?

snohomish

Premium Member
Jan 9, 2013
I have to second the clinic, my wife and I rode with amber holt for a few days and it put things in realtime perspective for my wife. As for the sled, I proposed this question here a few years ago and went with the advice of get a sled you can ride, it's nice to have a backup, not to mention the weight between a 6and 800 is minimal, and I have never heard my wife say that has to much power. Oh by the way we bought her an 800 xm 154. No looking back. Good luck

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We bought her a low mile 2014 Freeride 146 with electric start and a host of other goodies last night. We're picking it up Sunday. She was apprehensive about a longer track, so we'll start here and see how she takes to it. I'm really excited to get out west with her and see what she thinks.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
We bought her a low mile 2014 Freeride 146 with electric start and a host of other goodies last night. We're picking it up Sunday. She was apprehensive about a longer track, so we'll start here and see how she takes to it. I'm really excited to get out west with her and see what she thinks.

Awesome! Stoked you bought her a great sled versus some outdated POS.

Now she'll be as excited as you for the snow to start falling.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Awesome! Stoked you bought her a great sled versus some outdated POS.

Now she'll be as excited as you for the snow to start falling.

I know first hand the difference coming off an old sled and going to a new sled. Total game changer! I wish I could have bought her a brand new sled, but I don't want to get too crazy until she can decide if she likes off trail riding or not.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she likes the Freeride, they're a great looking sled!

Now my 14yo daughter is showing interest....

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I know first hand the difference coming off an old sled and going to a new sled. Total game changer! I wish I could have bought her a brand new sled, but I don't want to get too crazy until she can decide if she likes off trail riding or not.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she likes the Freeride, they're a great looking sled!

Now my 14yo daughter is showing interest....

That 14 Freeride is no slouch and will be a great sled for her to play and lean on. Plus as others have said it seems newer riders like the wider front end. Just make sure to get that suspension dialed in for her, they have so much adjustment to them!!

Congrats man!!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Man, what I would give if MY WIFE or DAUGHTER showed ANY interest at all in my passion.

My wife likes to trail ride, but she's never been "off trail" to the extent I'm hoping to show her. If all goes well, we'll get down to Island Park around Christmas/New years and she can try that sled out!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The sled turned out to be in great shape and only needs a set of sliders, some scratchers and chaincase oil change.

It'll fit in just fine ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 22

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Last night we swapped out the SPI carbon can in favor of the stock one, did the chaincase service and general cleanup. Dealer just called and the scratchers I ordered are in, so we'll get those on and do a grease job on the skid and change out the sliders soon.

Premium Features