• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Extra forks for winter

S
Feb 15, 2016
I was thinking about buying a set of forks off ebay or something for my 14 Ktm 300xc for winter with the correct springs and possibly valving. Would any old forks work like of a 10 year old honda, yamaha, or etc.? Building collars for the forks (assuming they're smaller) is no big deal.

Any input would be great for people who have done this especially on the newer Ktm's with the 4cs forks.

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
4cs spring swap is super easy, 10 minutes once you've done it a few times I bet. Same procedure as open cartridge forks basically. Though might have issues with the spring guides like with my bike you saw in the other thread. Also I have used Cannon Racecraft in OK for custom springs in the past and they are pretty easy to work with and shipped faster then they quoted. Probably a good option for you guys that have bikes that super heavy springs aren't readily available for, I was told $139 for custom fork springs last time I asked.

S
Mar 8, 2008
I don't think changing springs would be much more work than swapping forks. At what point do we just call it and get a completely seperate bike :)

I've got air forks in my 16 450 SX factory edition and couldn't be happier. I didn't see hardly any pressure changes from 18 degrees to 70 inside the shop. Maybe 2psi. I can change pressure (spring rate) at will. If your serious about buying new forks I would look into these. I dono when they might be available. Factory edition bikes are a year ahead I think?? Motocross forks are valves allot differently than trail/enduro forks. With these, I feel like I can have whatever I wish within about 5 min

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
I was thinking about buying a set of forks off ebay or something for my 14 Ktm 300xc for winter with the correct springs and possibly valving. Would any old forks work like of a 10 year old honda, yamaha, or etc.? Building collars for the forks (assuming they're smaller) is no big deal.

Any input would be great for people who have done this especially on the newer Ktm's with the 4cs forks.

We have done this for many KTM owners. We can purchase a set of used forks for around $400 and have them fully rebuilt, custom sprung and Snow Bike Valved for $675. We have been working with Factory Connection for years now developing a great valving package for snow bikes. Your 4CS forks are expensive to replace if you damage them snow biking. They are also a little on the awkward side for snow biking. They make a good fork for off road, so save them for that. We typically look for closed chamber forks to build. They have the same spindle and clamp mounts as your current forks.

Let us know if we can help in your build.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Slavens also has a lot of stiff spring packages for bikes, especially KTM. Buying springs and having them swapped (or learning how to do them yourself) is hella cheaper than buying new forks. Then if you change up manufacturers there is no promise they will fit your next bike. I move bikes so often I get very little return on investment so I always look for some kind of cost compromise.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
If you already have a snowbike with a fit kit for KTM, you'll likely need new front end fit kit for the kawa fork. Just thought I'd mention it.

I ended up buying a set of forks and having my bikes forks resprung and revalved for winter thinking I'd then use the stock used forks I bought for summer....then never swapped the bike back and forth. Ha.

Since I received no bites on selling my KTM 525 ready for a snowbike kit, I'll likely change it back to summer mode, as I've had many interested in it once put back together. If that is the case, I will probably pull off the current forks (sprung way too hard, now, to match up with the stock rear EXC rear spring and shock rates) and sell it separate. Just need to find the time to pull it all apart.

My next snowbike will, again, be dedicated winter only, so again, no swapping back and forth. I have other bikes for summer. Swapping seasonally is an option, but not swapping is an even better option.

Last edited:
Premium Features