• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailshead Sold?

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Trails

Sdsnocop knows more about this than I do but there is an old trail close to Breakneck that used to be groomed years ago. I know where it is at but would have to be there to tell for sure. It was groomed for a few years and I talked to a couple people who had to groom it. It is too steep to get up with much snow on it and a dangerous ride coming down. It was also very narrow and it was ultimately abandoned.
In my last year working on the trails the idea of a trail from Rec Springs to Spearfish Canyon Lodge was resurrected. It has been thrown around for many years. It was scrapped again because it is just too big of a headache. Probably would have gone to Cheyenne Crossing from somewhere along trail 5. The trail would have to follow the Hanna Creek road and it will likely never happen because most of the land in that area is privately owned and getting everyone on board with easements etc would be difficult. Then the trail from Cheyenne Crossing to the Lodge is some rough country. I have been up top there on 4 wheelers but snowmobiles could be a challenge. I think that is mostly footpath in what I believe is the "Devils Bathtub" area. Because of all the private land, the closer to Deadwood you get, developing any more trails in that area is very difficult. This would also include at least two highway 85 crossings. One where it came off trail 5 and another one at Cheyenne Crossing and Hanna road. Highway crossings are always a big liability. As soon as you would get it done then a critical piece of land would get sold and the new owner would not want sleds there. Like it or not many of the private land owners in the Hills are not ATV and sled friendly. Shannon has a tough job keeping the current trails open.

Last edited:

Billy1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2009
Sioux Center, Iowa
Well that figures, fits right in with everything else going on in this sport. Every year there are more fences, locked gates and No Trespassing signs. You take your life in your hands if you ride trails because of all the FTR's but it gets harder and harder to ride cross country because of the above reasons. Between the weather and the parking situation at Trailshead I'm amazed anyone showed up. After years of frustration with the parking many people I have talked to now avoid the Hills on Presidents weekend. For years the lot was jammed and usually a manufacturers semi was taking up one end of it, as for myself I have not ridden on that weekend for 10 years, don't need the hassle I guess. I avoid buying gas at Trailshead but I was told that gas is much higher this year than last but downtown it is about half what it was last year, Hm-m-m??? Oh well I guess we'll continue bringing our own gas and start bringing a sandwich along like we used to in the old days. I was reminiscing with my cousin a while back about the way things were when we grew up in the 60's and 70's, he said " yeah the music was better and cars were cooler, at least we have our memories, our kids don't even have that". If some of you people only knew what the riding was like in the 80's before it became a "destination".

Really! You buy a $14,000 sled and pull it with a $40,000 truck and complain about paying .25 more a gallon which on 10 gallons would be $2.50 and complain about paying $1.00 more for a sandwich! This couple that are running Trailshead are good people tying to provide a service at a fair price and trying to pay a mortgage and make a go of it.
Let's try to support them they are still learning and trying to keep order to the place which in my opinion is welcomed!
We need Trailshead to stay open and they need our business to do it!

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I haven't road the hills in 8 years but I wouldn't care about gas price or food price. Costumer service is what I care about. I wouldn't even want to know what that mortgage is and they do need our support. If I ever go back to the hills I will be riding from there and give them my support. What I don't want it to end up like is meadowlark Lodge in the horns.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
Oh are those the requirements now ? Sorry to disappoint you but my sleds are 14 years old, I paid $3500 each for them and you probably would not want to be seen in my tow rig. I realize it has become a rich mans sport but I will continue to ride once in a while until someone says I have to wear a neon colored jacket with race patches all over it and a Mohawk on top of my helmet...

Really! You buy a $14,000 sled and pull it with a $40,000 truck and complain about paying .25 more a gallon which on 10 gallons would be $2.50 and complain about paying $1.00 more for a sandwich! This couple that are running Trailshead are good people tying to provide a service at a fair price and trying to pay a mortgage and make a go of it.
Let's try to support them they are still learning and trying to keep order to the place which in my opinion is welcomed!

Last edited:

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
So, what happened to Meadowlark and Dear Haven in the Big Horns?? Trailshead will keep getting my business!! Thanks

Pokaris

Lifetime Membership
Apr 14, 2011
Trailshead has definitely changed with the new owners, less food more money, they charged us $18 for a quart of Cat apv oil that most sell for $10,they had a couple of unrented cabins on Presidents weekend which is unheard of. We got chewed out for trying to pay for gas and order food like always, now must pay for gas at different till I guess! He took it upon himself to move peoples snowmobile trailers around without telling them. He told friends of ours that "HE DOES NOT NEED SNOWMOBILERS" and that "SNOWMOBILERS ARE THE ONE THAT NEEDS HIM". I hope they can take constructive criticism or they may lose quite a few good paying customers, they need all the customers they can get to keep the doors open. His attitude is wrong , HE ABSOLUTELY NEEDS SNOWMOBILERS AS CUSTOMERS if he is going to last.

Unfortunately your friend isn't the only one the new owner has taken that attitude with. Hopefully it's just growing pains, but I'd rather take a chance at rough trail from Rec Springs than deal with the kind of person who threatens to plow you in because you ask for a minute to help get your grandkids situated before moving the truck and trailer (which is one of two in the lot at the time, parked at the side).

Used to love going there, really too bad.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Oh are those the requirements now ? Sorry to disappoint you but my sleds are 14 years old, I paid $3500 each for them and you probably would not want to be seen in my tow rig. I realize it has become a rich mans sport but I will continue to ride once in a while until someone says I have to wear a neon colored jacket with race patches all over it and a Mohawk on top of my helmet...

Got you beat. My sled is 15 years old and I paid $1500. I paid $5200 for my tow vehicle which had 230000 miles on it.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Got you beat. My sled is 15 years old and I paid $1500. I paid $5200 for my tow vehicle which had 230000 miles on it.

Got you all beat. 09' sled(only paid $5,000 for it); but no fauking rig lmao. pretty hard to get from sioux falls to the hills/Wyoming doh!

but seriously trailshead is a nice place and hopefully the new owners learn you have to treat even douchy people who park right where you are plowing nice because they will cry to 10 friends and those 10 friends cry to 10 more and pretty soon they try to boycott your business :) Such is life in a customer service world!

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Trailshead

I have met the new owners a few times and I think they are nice people and I hope they make it there.

Billy you are "mostly" right but you evidently did not spend much time in the Trailshead area this winter. This winter the price of gas in Central City was $1.75 and Trailshead and Buckhorn was near $5.00. It was $3.00 + more not $.25. When it comes to spending $30.00 more to fill your sled then people have a serious incentive to bring their gas from town. I have purchased gas many times at Trailshead when I knew I was paying $1.00 more than I could buy it for in Central City but at $3.00 I have to fill my gas cans before heading up. At some point price means more than convenience for most of us. The other problem with these 2 places right now is spending $15.00 plus for a burger and fries. I will have to be pretty hungry to do that on most days. You can be fed pretty well in Deadwood for $15.00.

Last edited:

Pokaris

Lifetime Membership
Apr 14, 2011
but seriously trailshead is a nice place and hopefully the new owners learn you have to treat even douchy people who park right where you are plowing nice because they will cry to 10 friends and those 10 friends cry to 10 more and pretty soon they try to boycott your business :) Such is life in a customer service world!

We were coming back in (not parking). After filling up and getting snacks there in the morning (on a week day). If parking in a parking lot makes you "douchy" , I'm pretty sure we're all guilty.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
We were coming back in (not parking). After filling up and getting snacks there in the morning (on a week day). If parking in a parking lot makes you "douchy" , I'm pretty sure we're all guilty.

Fair enough. Perhaps directing the comment towards you isn't appropriate, but it still stands. Customer service means in this day and age means kissing every boot that walks in the door until you are established and know you have a big enough following to the point you can tell people to take their business elsewhere.

Premium Features