• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbikes on Blackhills Trails?

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
I talked to someone that was in the hills this past weekend and he said that he saw signs with a snowbike with a slash through it stating no snowbikes. Does anyone know if this is true?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
What location were these signs? Also did the signs refer to the human powered snow bicycles or the motorized motorcycle with tracks conversion? The motorcycle with track conversion kits are allowed on SD snowmobile trails as long as they are displaying the $20 SD permit for those vehicles. If it is the ultra fat tire bicycles, the state of SD does not prohibit their use on snowmobile trails but the Forest Service can prohibit their use on snowmobile trails that lie o Forest Service lands. The state has been waiting for the Forest Service to make a decision on the use of bicycles on snowmobile trails. I have someone chasing this down and will post when I know further.

Top Notch

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hartford, S.D.
www.topnotchdetailing.biz
If the fat tired bicycles are using the trail they also will be required to buy the $20.00 permit? In my opinion they should be restricted to the cross country ski areas. Sorry about the hijack.

Last edited:

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
He did not say where he saw the signs. Its not a big deal, but does my North Dakota off road tab good for SD? and where can I pick up the sticker?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
He did not say where he saw the signs. Its not a big deal, but does my North Dakota off road tab good for SD? and where can I pick up the sticker?

I am making the assumption you want to ride a tracked motorcycle conversion on SD snowmobile Trails and you are a ND resident. The SD motorcycle permit is for SD residents only. The only option you have from out of state is to buy the $40 5 day temporary permit. SD law requires for motor vehicles to operate on SD snowmobile trails they need to meet the definition of a snowmobile and licensed as a snowmobile. The Timbersled style conversion on a motorcycle meets the definition of a snowmobile but owners were having problems licensing then as a snowmobile since they are titled as a snowmobile. The SD permit gave SD residents the ability to license them as a snowmobile without changing the title as a motorcycle. If you were able to license your converted motorcycle as a ND resident snowmobile that would work in SD.

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
If the fat tired bicycles are using the trail they also will be required to buy the $20.00 permit? In my opinion they should be restricted to the cross country ski areas. Sorry about the hijack.

Most fat tire snow bicyclist I have talked to would have no problem paying something to support our snowmobile trails. I do agree that coming around a trail corner and meeting a bicycle can be a little hairy. I do feel that us as snowmobilers have few allies within the non-motorized communities. The snow bicyclist need snowmobile trails to fully enjoy their sport and realize that opportunity would not exist if it wasn't for us snowmobilers. I believe we need all the friends we can possibly get.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I am making the assumption you want to ride a tracked motorcycle conversion on SD snowmobile Trails and you are a ND resident. The SD motorcycle permit is for SD residents only. The only option you have from out of state is to buy the 440 5 day temporary permit. SD law requires for motor vehicles to operate on SD snowmobile trails they need to meet the definition of a snowmobile and licensed as a snowmobile. The Timbersled style conversion on a motorcycle meets the definition of a snowmobile but owners were having problems licensing then as a snowmobile since they are titled as a snowmobile. The SD permit gave SD residents the ability to license them as a snowmobile without changing the title as a motorcycle. If you were able to license your converted motorcycle as a ND resident snowmobile that would work in SD.

I think he meant to say $40 and not 440.... just forgot to hit the shift key??:face-icon-small-coo Those permits can be had at the lodges on the trail if I remember correctly (Rec Springs, Trailshead, etc.).

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I agree. Especially since the USFS feels the need to regulate bicycles riding on snowmobile trails and non-residents wonder if the State of SD will permit them to come here and patronize our tourist industry. Quite a state of affairs we find ourselves in in the so called 'Land of the Free.'

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I found out where the fat tire snow bike signs were located at. They were posted by the ski club at the Big Hill parking lot. They do not want bicycles on "their" ski trail. I also talked to someone who was thoroughly chewed out by a skier for snowshoeing on the ski trail.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I found out where the fat tire snow bike signs were located at. They were posted by the ski club at the Big Hill parking lot. They do not want bicycles on "their" ski trail. I also talked to someone who was thoroughly chewed out by a skier for snowshoeing on the ski trail.

Why is it that groups think they can stake claim to property that isn't rightfully theirs? This is OUR land.

I came across a jackwagon driving a suburban on a snowmobile trail one day, he was buried up to his bumpers. I have no idea how he got as far as he did, clearly there was some liquid traction involved, I simply stopped and shook my head and asked him if he was okay, which he was so I said I would love to spend the rest of my day shoveling you out but I think someone else will come along that might make easier work of it. He apologized for tearing up the trail and all but admitted he was drunker than a skunk the night before and just got on the wrong path trying to sneak home. Kind of felt sorry for the fella... he was not exactly in the kind of condition he should have been to be doing that much shoveling. I can only imagine the kind of damage those snowshoes were doing to that ski trail.... :face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features