• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Favorite Michigan Deep Snow Boondocking Area

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
What is your Favorite. I don't really need you to give away your info just general area not exact area. I have had some really good luck finding deep snow. I still think 2008 was the best north of M-28.

We typically ride the Northern Sections of the U.P. Been just about everywhere from Drummond Island to copper Harbor. Some of my general favorite areas are Northern Luce county, Grand Marias area, Big Big area, and for sure the Keweenaw. Some will not believe this but I also have some great lower MI boondocking snow belt areas that when they get hit right the boon docking is awesome.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
With how much snow we got last year I really didn't have to leave the Sault lol. We were second in snow accumulation last year with Marquette being #1. Hoping for the same this year

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
This summer we traveled east out of Grand Marais to Deer Park. I was wondering what the riding was like in that area, there were all sorts of twotracks branching off the main dirt road, didn't see any no trespassing signs. Is that area open to sleds?

A different day we had lunch at the bear trap(very good). Im assuming there are trails near by, wondering where the nearest lodging is near the bear trap?

While Im asking some ?s, typically, what time of year is best for big lake effect snow to happen?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
This summer we traveled east out of Grand Marais to Deer Park. I was wondering what the riding was like in that area, there were all sorts of twotracks branching off the main dirt road, didn't see any no trespassing signs. Is that area open to sleds?

A different day we had lunch at the bear trap(very good). Im assuming there are trails near by, wondering where the nearest lodging is near the bear trap?

While Im asking some ?s, typically, what time of year is best for big lake effect snow to happen?

Anywhere between Grand Marias and Paradise is pretty open. Just don't go into private.

The trail goes right into the bear trap. There are some cabin rentals around there or just stay in Wetmore/munising area and you can ride toward the bear trap in no time.

J

joel t

Dec 6, 2013
Mi
I like staying in the Seney Motel get you south of the big crowd and still in the good lake effect area and you can head west or east towards paradise from there but you have to book in advance small town only one place to stay

R
Dec 3, 2007
We ride in a couple places all year. Not too far from L'anse is one and up near Lac La Belle. Lots of good places to boondock, just have to put in the time to find them and then save your tracks(GPS) so you can find it again.

One good way to find the deeper powder is to look for the higher areas if you have a topo map. Sometimes a couple feet difference in snow depth.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
I really like the U.P. Again, no one needs to give away specific places but is there anything good along the west side of the U.P.? When we used to trail ride more I have been all over from Ironwood to copper harbor and back. Any good off trail in there?

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
I usually stay south of Houghton, by the mosquito bar. Able to find plenty of fun between the bar and Houghton

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Premium Features