• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo Rail Ice Scratcher - Axys Install

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I notoriously bend a few sets of scratchers each season, even the "reversible tip" ones don't last. I've tried the cable ones as well, but they don't seem to kick much snow.

I read a thread last season about the new Skidoo reversible scratcher (P/N 860201140, eBay $85.00) and decided to give them a shot on my 3", 155" Axys. The mounted location puts the Skidoo tip a few inches forward of the stock scratcher tips. I looks like someone finally figured out the perfect scratcher - time will tell!

*** NOTE ***: Under full compression, the upper carrier wheels will most likely come in contact with scratcher support (plastic hanger) in the location where I mounted the kit. Perhaps another Snowester can recommend an alternate mounting location (Thanks Wheelhouse Motor Sports).

I used the supplied mounting template to figure out the general mounting location. I ended up straddling the triangle cut out just behind the front rear shock (right side mount):

picture.php

I clamped the actual mount to the rail and drilled through it vs. using the supplied paper template. I snugged it against the lower rail for additional support:

picture.php

Drilled mount holes:

picture.php

I again used the template to locate the mount point for the ice scratcher support, again using the bottom of the rail for extra support. This support also keeps the scratcher off of the painted rail.

picture.php

Finished in the up position:

picture.php

Down position:

picture.php

Install is very clean and the scratcher looks like it's going to dig in well and not bend/break if I forget about it backing up.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Doo offers them in two different lengths now, I believe. Longer for 3".

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I notoriously bend a few sets of scratchers each season, even the "reversible tip" ones don't last. I've tried the cable ones as well, but they don't seem to kick much snow.

Looks really good, only concern I have, which might just be pic angle making it happen.

Do your upper carrier wheels clear the little plastic hanger under full compression of the skid? Looks like it will be really close, just figure worth checking before other guys mount the same if its an issue.

Otherwise those scratchers work dang good.. and don't break. Its very nice!

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Do your upper carrier wheels clear the little plastic hanger under full compression of the skid? Looks like it will be really close, just figure worth checking before other guys mount the same if its an issue.

Hmmm... Good catch, probably won't clear under full compression. Inside to inside on the upper carrier wheels is ~12". Outside to outside on the supports is ~13". I can't remember the last time I bottomed out on the lower stop (does this ever happen?), so I'll take the chance where they are. I'll edit my original post to alert readers of the potential issue.

D
Oct 13, 2008
Does anyone know if the spring support can be purchased separately or do you have to buy the whole kit. I would like to keep the factory scratchers off the rails and these look better than an eye bolt. I have a couple other ideas, but these are quick and easy.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
my my you guys........first its the doo oil cap, now its the scratchers. piece by piece you will soon have a mustard can sitting in your garage! :biggrin1:

i have never seen where you could order individual parts for these kits. they come standard on T3 model XM's, so perhaps a parts diagram would show on there if you can get parts individually. all the doo parts magazines/web site show the kit as 1 part number (they assume you are adding it on to a sled that did not have the parts from the factory).

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Does anyone know if the spring support can be purchased separately or do you have to buy the whole kit. I would like to keep the factory scratchers off the rails and these look better than an eye bolt. I have a couple other ideas, but these are quick and easy.

And that is why I use the cable scratchers. I never put them up, they're down 100% of the time and I forget about them. I've not had an issue with them not producing enough snow dust kicked up. In any situation where I've had a bit of overheating going on so has everyone else in the group that were using traditional scratchers.

I do like the looks of these scratchers. They certainly look like they will work well.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I ran the Ski Doo scratchers on my 13 pro with 3" track last year. They worked great. I used one existing hole and drilled and additional one on each side to mount them as well as a hole on each side for the carrier. I also ran Ski-Z snow deflectors on my SLP Mohawk skis (also reverse friendly). The two systems kept my trail temps in the 125 to 130 range consistently. I highly recommend both. I will run the Doo scratchers and ski deflectors on my 16 2.6 Axys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I sell a lot of the reversible scratchers and many customers with T3's bought from me after getting rid of the stock scratchers because they throw very little snow. It was a very dry year so maybe they did not give them an adequate chance as NO scratchers can give enough cooling on hard ice trails. Lots of guys ran the ski scratchers and the rail scratchers last season just to avoid overheating. The extended cooler on the Doos should help those sleds. I hope the HO motor on the Polaris is not going to get hotter than the old style??

D
Oct 13, 2008
I called our local shop and you can order just the small piece that holds the scratcher in the up position. $4 each plus a bolt for those that want to keep factory scratchers off coated rails. For the really bad days I am just going to use onion sack trick

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
well those scratchers do not work I rode with a ski doo last year in McCall and the overheating is horrible. those scratchers don't do anything. waist of money. I followed him and they don't go past the track tips and when your on ice you need scratchers and they didn't throw any snow up in the track

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Between my 3 buddy's with doos they snapped 4 of those reversible scratchers leaving one of them without a scratcher on each side for an entire trip.

Premium Features