• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse XM Turbo

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Ecu is the same. To change the boost simply click a few clicks on the boost controller, and the ecu adjusts for the rest. Paul is working on a update to the tune but not ready to release it until its fine tuned.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Wel had the impulse out with two Aerochargers and a boondocker today, after day one.. It had ran very well, basically never touched the sled all day and we hit over 11700 feet elevation..

Both aeros needed to drop fueling but once dialled in they ran very well, and very comparable over all, Boondocker was having some real low a/f num and needed more time to dial in

Did find from driving them all them all the the aero were a bit quicker to spool from dead stop but did feel that that the impulse pulled harder in midrange..

Few questions after day one.. Seen boost at 5 lbs on impulse the others are 7.. How many turns on the dial does it take to to go to 7 and what direction..

Was told that impulse released a different tune, to help with the burble on bottom end, is that something that needs to be reflashed or ecu sent back??

Thanks

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
2-3 clixks to the right = approximately 1 psi. If you turn up the boost make sure to adjust the clickers or you'll hit rev limiter and risk reed failure.

We have a new re flash, one just needs to send in the ecu. There aren't any "burbles" even with the old tune, if there is its likely a reed problem.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Zeb... My understaing you were the installer of the kit, I had bought the sled from Trevor..

We are comming back in the next week from southern colarado and if you had some time to reflash ecu..

It runs flawless all day other than sometimes a stumble At low rpm on/off throttle... Like in heavy snow and running in thick trees.. Happen a few times today

If I'm at a idle and pouch it.. I get a real quick hesitation and its off.. Running the other aerochargers, they don't seam to have that.. Maybe this lates reflash takes care of it

Any idea what pin weight could be installed,?? sled is running a solid 8000 rpm all day at 10000 feet at 5.5lbs boost

I also seen tonight that belt is running to the top 1/4 inch of primary... Would this need a higher top sprocket ??

Over all install and set up has been dead on.. Thanks for all the adrealin rushes

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The new flash runs much better. I would also gear up two teeth on the top, that's what I did and it pulls a lot stronger. I'm very happy with my Impulse kit. Rode til I was out of gas here in UT on Wednesday we got two feel plus, sled ran awesome with the setup above on 5psi at 8500 ft and above.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zeb... My understaing you were the installer of the kit, I had bought the sled from Trevor..

We are comming back in the next week from southern colarado and if you had some time to reflash ecu..

It runs flawless all day other than sometimes a stumble At low rpm on/off throttle... Like in heavy snow and running in thick trees.. Happen a few times today

If I'm at a idle and pouch it.. I get a real quick hesitation and its off.. Running the other aerochargers, they don't seam to have that.. Maybe this lates reflash takes care of it

Any idea what pin weight could be installed,?? sled is running a solid 8000 rpm all day at 10000 feet at 5.5lbs boost

I also seen tonight that belt is running to the top 1/4 inch of primary... Would this need a higher top sprocket ??

Over all install and set up has been dead on.. Thanks for all the adrealin rushes

I'll send you a pm

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Well four hard days riding in unreal snow and the impulse ran very very well...

Was hitting a max of 9 lbs boost at 10000feet...with a/f around the 11.2

At 6 psi boost pulled 61mph track speed.. At 11.8a/f

Bit of a stumble on initial stab of throttle, but still very minor, aerochargers also had minor hesitation at that elevation

Would also get a bit of a miss If you were on and off the throttle multiple times in a few seconds, but still very manageable

Let the other guys do a few pulls with it as to compare and they all said the spool was as quick or quicker, and once the reflash is done maybe the minor issue will be fixed as well

In the four days of running it, never put a wrench to the machine and ran it from 4.5 lbs to 9...

Happy customer :face-icon-small-hap

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Free upgrade, gives better throttle response, better midrange and gets rid of the lean sport that used to be there when you let off the throttle.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
FastZap's new 800e w/Impulse.
A work of art Turbo.
The purpose of this video is to show that "this" turbo is not sluggish. The Norwegian here driving in Revelstoke, on-purpose drove around burping the throttle for this video to show the Impulse powered etec can have bottom end...
...3500~3600 engagement :face-icon-small-hap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpmkBQlRFU&list=UUZm8YNQGTMCsjONjyxRCZHA

Last edited:
F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007
I'm in the process of snow checking a 2016 xm and am interested in the impulse turbo setup. The video Joe posted is awesome and the sled seems to run great. I was curious how the xm is holding up, and maybe what can be done on the front end to prevent problems. I'm aware of a few things that are more related to the ski doo, and I am wondering how everyone has dealt with these issues. Some things may be unrelated, I'm just going off of what I've heard. How are guys dealing with the exhaust valves and is this an issue? I've heard that there are still problems with them coming apart. What about the check valve in the signal line for the exhaust valves? Is there a fix for this? I noticed in Joes video the sled revs very quickly - Is this a concern for the etec? I've heard that this can put the engine into limp mode. Also, what about over revving? What are the concerns and how are you guys dealing with this? I've heard this too can put the engine in limp mode and also cause problems with reeds. What can a guy expect for reed life?

My intention is to run around 10 psi of boost at 8k feet minimum. What should I expect to use for fuel, and how does this affect bottom end response and reed life?

I realize there's a few questions here, but I'd like to hear from the guys running this setup and what they've found.

Thanks,
-Fack

XP860

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I'm in the process of snow checking a 2016 xm and am interested in the impulse turbo setup. The video Joe posted is awesome and the sled seems to run great. I was curious how the xm is holding up, and maybe what can be done on the front end to prevent problems. I'm aware of a few things that are more related to the ski doo, and I am wondering how everyone has dealt with these issues. Some things may be unrelated, I'm just going off of what I've heard. How are guys dealing with the exhaust valves and is this an issue? I've heard that there are still problems with them coming apart. What about the check valve in the signal line for the exhaust valves? Is there a fix for this? I noticed in Joes video the sled revs very quickly - Is this a concern for the etec? I've heard that this can put the engine into limp mode. Also, what about over revving? What are the concerns and how are you guys dealing with this? I've heard this too can put the engine in limp mode and also cause problems with reeds. What can a guy expect for reed life?

My intention is to run around 10 psi of boost at 8k feet minimum. What should I expect to use for fuel, and how does this affect bottom end response and reed life?

I realize there's a few questions here, but I'd like to hear from the guys running this setup and what they've found.

Thanks,
-Fack

Hi there. The Sled in the Video is my sled. I have worked with Joe many years on clutching projects for Big Bore and other turbo kits. I just give him my input from what each of sleds did and he would send me the calibration changes to the clutch. This is our own clutch set-up we came up with and it flat out rocks. Makes the XM Impulse Turbo kit Rip even better. I have rode many other XM Turbo kits and this one is ahead of the game by a long shot. The guy I let ride my sled from Norway said he has never rode a cleaner fueled and clutched Turbo sled! As far as over revving the clutching is so dialed it revs super quick to 8000 and holds that all the way to the top of hill. Backshifts unreal and gives you engine braking when going down hills. Mine is set up for 6lbs of boost and can be easily turned up to 9-10lbs with my set-up. You will love your Impulse kit!

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
1] I noticed in Joes video the sled revs very quickly - Is this a concern for the etec?
2] I've heard that this can put the engine into limp mode.
3] Also, what about over revving?
4] What are the concerns and how are you guys dealing with this?
5] I've heard this too can put the engine in limp mode and also cause problems with reeds.
6] What can a guy expect for reed life?

Thanks,
-Fack

Hi Fack.

Hope y'all dont mind me answering this way...

1] Did you hear the engine stutter in the video? :face-icon-small-hap The mountain ramps combined with the start force of the primary spring, load the engine enough to keep the ECU from detuning.

2] I have other primary springs available to lower the engagement and load the engine a bit more off the bottom end. (if needed)

3] Aaen law - flyweight determines engine speed.
  • If need lower engine speed - then add flyweight
  • If need higher engine speed - then reduce flyweight
  • 1 gram = approx 150~200 rpms to give a push off the dock so to speak.

4] Look at #3

5] Depends on what year of 800etec and what model at what engine speed the ECU will detune. Ideally you should be prepared to either change the clicker position after you check what the flyweight does for your rated engine speed. That will give you an indication on what flyweight gram change you "may" have to do - if any at all.

6] Reeds - backfiring from lean will cause reed petals to chip. Far as I know overrevving will not cause reed petals to chip/crack/fray etc. Lean backfires/chuffs/pops, oh yeah you bet. (personal firsthand knowledge)

An old study...
2012 800e's were one of the worst for reed petal failures and people think it was due to the reeds themselves - in a way, yes that is true. The reed can't take the lean backfires and bog that particular engine has dished out.

The root of the problem is (all etec's stock run lean)the 2012 800e runs leaner compared to other lean 800e's to where you get that 7500~6500 intermittent bog. Ok, solve the lean bog by the ECU in 2013 adding percentage more fuel.

A 2012 with a fuel bog problem can be solved with a few methods, one is an economical fuel controller. There are a couple of guys on dootalk that have done outstanding thoroughly authenticated first rate tests to produce facts to reveal what's going on in that particular engine. Now this carries over into where engines by some way start to breath more air (porting & big bore) and the engine is setup to run lean beyond the current fuel injector flow programming for potential backfire = need more fuel.

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What is the price and what is included with this setup for the impulse clutch kit and what elevations do you have setups for?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Finnally last week got sled released from us customs and took to Revy the next day..

Now with breakin almost finished Turned boost what I had thought was lowest lbs 5.5 and dropped primary to clicker one.. Was told this was needed to prevent over reving..

With elevation at 6 to 7 thousand it still poped off rev limiter every once in a while and with in a few happenings took out reeds on pto side.. They were tdr style and it seames to destroy cages worse then reeds themselves..replaced reeds with double stacked stock reeds(half cut) that same night

Few things I learned.. The clutching that came with it will not support that low of elevation, also feel that we need to gear up.. Maybe as much as two teeth on top sprocket..

Never had the stumble on the initial stab of the throttle, or lean pop after on/off like we had at 11000 feet in colarado

But did here a poping noise the final day or day four and it seemed to be a lean pop we guessed and happened around the 7 to 10 second of wot after a quick on/off grab of throttle.. This is still the original tune and needs to be sent back for the latest reflash to hopefully prevent it in the future..

Now for the future clutching..

Will wait to here back from DJ and Zeb/Paul .., Did talk with Tom about his 3d arms and general principal of operation, sounds like a infinite amount of weight can be added to them and specific weights threw out the arms.. And should work on bigger boost with out over reving.. also thought a gearing change, with a 42/46 helix..

Hopfully get it dialled in soon :eyebrows:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Fred how much boost you plan on pushing this sled to? You worried about throwing another rod? My buddy turned his TSS down to 6psi this year and finally got it to stay together for first time in three seasons.

You guys talking about running 10psi or more I would be careful, the Etecs don't seem to like it. Just a warning these motors are not cheap to replace. The Etec's make so much power on low boost I would set it at 7psi and be happy IMHO.

Maybe Paul has a lot of timing pulled on the top end though so maybe that helps?

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I run Toms arms on my T-Etec. Paired his arms with DJ's ramp and helix.....for me it works great. I am running a 160-290 primary. Dj's ramp and the ramp from Tom's look very similar.

Yes on gearing up. I went from 19:51 to 23:51. You make big power you need to gear up to take advantage of it.

This is on a Turbo Perfomance kit.

Last edited:
Premium Features