• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from SnoWest)

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
I have a blast riding my Polaris. I didn't have a blast riding the Viper I demoed. Do I give a a flying f__k what some video says? Nope. all that matters is you are out haveing fun!!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What I brought away from the video is probably not what Yamaha had in mind.....that their competition can carry 3 times the amount of snow and still be significantly lighter. Polaris could put that same video on ther site.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
All this "weight doesn't matter" talk was all the same back in 06 when the Apex came out, or "you cant feel the extra weight", or "their all heavy when stuck"......look how that played out. People bought into the hype for a while (me included) and then were back on something easier to ride.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wasn't trying to rain on your parade. I was thinking you just knew how to word or pitch stuff better. I was going to pick up some pointers. I guess your post just rained on my parade.
Ya, I am not thinking the wife coming home to this scene would be well received.
250iivq.jpg

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If a microwave,tv,bed and a fridge fit in it you can leave it. If not I would move it. Get it and bring it to my house until you get it soothed over. Bring the viper too because we just got 2 feet on the mountain last night. I wouldn't even be sitting here but I couldn't get anyone to play hooky.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Around my house, a brand new 2015 Turbo Viper wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Wife wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

A new Dodge Viper and there would be HELL to pay!

But mine is a reasonable wife.
She has a price and could be bought off.
But it would take this being parked in the driveway BEFORE the Viper came home.

Infinity QX70 5.0 AWD
2014-QX70.jpeg

If I could pull that off, I could get a garage full of new sleds AND the Dodge Viper and she would still be smiling at me:face-icon-small-hap

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I think it was legite but the way it was done is biased if that makes any sense. There was a turbo on it because it won't compete but that was minor. My biggest gripe was they put electric start on the pro and xm to lessen the difference because the 4 has to have it. That was the exact reason and not because that was the only sleds they could get or because people love electric start. It isn't even a gripe. people buy 4's for the reasons they buy them and the same for the 2 stroke. Obviously the cat or yamaha has less snow but I am not sold that the weight from it, and where it is, makes that much difference. It is front end weight and that is why I sold my t-nytro. They have come a long ways but it is still apples to oranges. Christopher, you are going to have a tough choice because I like all of them. I would probably favor the blue and white.

Not to mention the Pro held a lot of its snow toward the back on the running board. What gets wiped off the most from foot movement? The running boards. I always wipe mine clean when I stop. Also, I don't let much build up on the tunnel and my skis are never full like they weighed. This drastically reduces the weight of the Pro.

prorideupper800

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2013
Upper Pennisula of Michigan
Yamaha has always needed a Turbo to make them go through the snow , with out it they are at the bottom of the Mountain with the 600's. Those pictures of the New Viper Mountain are awfully clean for a sled that is supposed to be riding in deep powder. I didn't see a M800 in this comparison? Cat trash design cost them the I-500 Snowmobile race when they burned down because of no coolers in tunnel, I'll keep my 013 Pro 800 and still climb past the Yamacat Stock.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So the Yamacat needs a turbo to compete in the mountain segment, which hikes the entry fee up to about $15000...That leaves quite a bit of cash to throw at an XM or PRO to compare equal costs, which drastically changes the game.

I tried the Nytro when it came out....it really really disappointed me. Production model was nothing like the prototypes we we able to test ride the spring before. Suspension, power, handling, etc, all took a huge nose dive when production came out. I suffered through 2 disappointing seasons then sold it and lost a ton on it. I now ride a '12 PRO, have had the 3 best seasons on the snow, and will probably get one more season out of it before snowchecking a '16, and will most likely take a similar hit in price...but I will have owned it for 2 more seasons, and will have enjoyed every minute of it.

Keep working Yamaha, I'll agree that you are moving in the right direction, but you need to take leaps and bounds not baby steps. I'm a rider of other-than-yamaha until you step it up to compete "out of the box" with similar costs and fun factor.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
LOL maybe its the Doos and the Poos that need a turbo to compete in the mountain segment ! Poo and Doo have the worst motors bar none. Poo has the worst reliability. How does that make them the best ? Weight ? Some guys can ride the heavy sleds and some guys can't its simple. Light weight is only part of the equation imo ! Too many brand loyalists who can't ride and bash on Yamaha LOL.

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
So the Yamacat needs a turbo to compete in the mountain segment, which hikes the entry fee up to about $15000...That leaves quite a bit of cash to throw at an XM or PRO to compare equal costs, which drastically changes the game.

I tried the Nytro when it came out....it really really disappointed me. Production model was nothing like the prototypes we we able to test ride the spring before. Suspension, power, handling, etc, all took a huge nose dive when production came out. I suffered through 2 disappointing seasons then sold it and lost a ton on it. I now ride a '12 PRO, have had the 3 best seasons on the snow, and will probably get one more season out of it before snowchecking a '16, and will most likely take a similar hit in price...but I will have owned it for 2 more seasons, and will have enjoyed every minute of it.

Keep working Yamaha, I'll agree that you are moving in the right direction, but you need to take leaps and bounds not baby steps. I'm a rider of other-than-yamaha until you step it up to compete "out of the box" with similar costs and fun factor.

Please ride a correctly setup Yamaha Viper before you say that. You will be very surprised.

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
i don't care what it weigh's i just like my sled !! I'm gonna ride it and have fun!

really why is it such a issue ..just ride and have fun ...i care what you ride..why are sledders such jake asses about what sled your ridding !!! i ride dirt bikes with yamahas hondas kawasakis ktms we all have fun ...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
i don't care what it weigh's i just like my sled !! I'm gonna ride it and have fun!

really why is it such a issue ..just ride and have fun ...i care what you ride..why are sledders such jake asses about what sled your ridding !!! i ride dirt bikes with yamahas hondas kawasakis ktms we all have fun ...

Its a good question.
Same reason we pick teams in football and then harass supporters of the other team.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Brandy Floyd.... a die hard Polaris Pro RMK rider will be on a 153" MTX next season.

She is a factory rider now...though I really do not believe that she would be on this sled if it didn't do what she needed it to do... She'll be on a stock sled except for the dealer installed factory authorized turbo version.

The weight when riding "feels" lighter... especially with the power...in fact, I've not heard of anyone commenting on the NA version.

I like Ryan's evaluation... I'd like to hear the feedback on the NA versions in the same context as a NA 4-stroke looses power at elevation as well.

As for getting one unstuck once stuck... I've not heard comments on that. I have helped getting cats with the same pow coat/coolers/tunnel unstuck. And while they may not hold as much snow driving up to the tree scale... I can tell you once in the stuck hole... they all have the entire inside of the track/skid PACKED with snow. That is where you would feel the extra 100 lbs of weight.

IMO...Yamaha is hitting a home run with the Viper... I'm excited to see the evolution of the 4 stroke platforms in our future as sledders.

Premium Features