• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Racing RMSHA - A Racer220 Guide To Getting Started

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
First race of the season is in the books. There were a ton of new riders this year. Who else made it over last weekend? Did you race? Did it make you want to try it? Any questions about racing or sled setup that haven't been covered in this thread yet? Willing to help out as best as I can, so let's hear it!

racer

S
Jul 14, 2008
Have a quick question, Im thinking about hillclimbing next year but just curious what class a m1111t would have to race in. Sled would be in stock condition.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Have a quick question, Im thinking about hillclimbing next year but just curious what class a m1111t would have to race in. Sled would be in stock condition.

I would guess that the 1100T in stock form would be legal in any 800cc+ class. Since the N/A 4-strokes are considered 600cc power motors the additional horsepower of the boost would bring it comparable to a stock 800. That would be a good question to pose to a RMSHA admin or someone that is ISR certified to verify for sure. You would be able to race it for sure, I just can't say 100% what classes without knowing myself.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
ANYBODY STILL INTERESTED IN RACING????

RIGHT NOW is seriously a great time to be thinking about getting things set up and ready for the season. Snow will be flying before we know it and Nov/Dec is not the time to be deciding it's time to 'get ready to race'. Unless you have a whole system already setup from last season ready to go, take a look through this thread and figure out what you need to Doo to get ready. Always willing to answer questions the best I can so reply if you don't see the info you need/want.

racer

ijstjohn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
North Idaho
RMSHA

I just moved to the SLC area and I am strongly considering racing the RMSHA circuit. Looking at picking up a stock HCR and jumping the three semi pro classes as mentioned above. I've raced a few hillclimbs back when MSSHA was still around so I have some experience. I'm having a hard time with giving up some of my backcountry riding because that's where I love to be, but I'm also looking to diversify some with a more competitive atmosphere. We'll see. I'll probably bug you some when it gets a bit closer. Thanks for posting the info. It can be overwhelming and intimidating getting into a circuit like this and there is a lot that goes into it, however I think anybody is capable of getting in there and having a good time. It's just a matter of doing it. If you want to do it, do it. I'm all for getting new racers and riders to support our sport so thanks again for starting the thread.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Thanks for the input. We'd love to have you at some races. Find a friend to hook up with and share costs and have them join in as well. Any questions at all just post them up and we'll try to get an answer up.

S

sledaddiction

Jul 23, 2012
Wyo
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Mitch! There's a ton of helpful info in here, and it answered alot of my questions about hillclimbing. It's nice to hear it from somebody who has been there and done that.

Steevo

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
LOOKING FOR SPONSORS???

Right now is prime time to be submitting proposals and making contacts. If you think Sept/Oct/Nov are when companies are gearing up for the season, you're going to be a few months behind and a few deals short. Racing is a lot easier when you are getting deals on things that will help you be more competitive.

C
Oct 11, 2013
Canada
Looking for assistance regarding the SC5MR-2 Hillclimb skid.

Wow

Great thread. I'm looking for some insight into stronger components for the rear suspension found on the Hillclimb versions of the Freeride. It's for anther form of racing but experience in this field is limited. Thanks in advance.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Wow

Great thread. I'm looking for some insight into stronger components for the rear suspension found on the Hillclimb versions of the Freeride. It's for anther form of racing but experience in this field is limited. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you could use the factory rail braces that have been on these skids the last few years. If you had some time and the resources you could take the basic design and manufacture up a custom set depending on what you were trying to do.

C
Oct 11, 2013
Canada
Yeah, you could use the factory rail braces that have been on these skids the last few years. If you had some time and the resources you could take the basic design and manufacture up a custom set depending on what you were trying to do.

Thanks for the quick response. I have a pair of these skids now but need to improve beyond the current construction. Do many of the racers improve the factory race skid. The use is cross county with weight on tunnel. Similar to iron dog but more gear and less trail.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Not on the Doo skids. Any upgrade is usually in the form of aftermarket shocks or a completely different skid (EZ-Ryde, etc...) I would like to see a brace made where the rails bend up in the very back. That is where I've seen most rails fail anyway. I like Cats design of their braces. IIRC it basically bolts onto the back 2/3 of the rail and is a stout lookin mofo. Unless they come out with straight rails again my guess is you will have to custom fab a setup for the Doo rails.

C
Oct 11, 2013
Canada
Not on the Doo skids. Any upgrade is usually in the form of aftermarket shocks or a completely different skid (EZ-Ryde, etc...) I would like to see a brace made where the rails bend up in the very back. That is where I've seen most rails fail anyway. I like Cats design of their braces. IIRC it basically bolts onto the back 2/3 of the rail and is a stout lookin mofo. Unless they come out with straight rails again my guess is you will have to custom fab a setup for the Doo rails.

Ya I'm with you on the Rails. Brock is looking after that for us with a custom design. It will have a sturdy brace that should cover off that week point rear of the scissor. Thanks for your recommendations.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Had an inquiry about swapping OEM tracks between models of different year sleds. I will try to update when I have solid information. Mainly regarding stock sled rules, and the rules stating the track must be OEM for the model IIRC. You have a lot of options for swapping tracks in Improved Stock and Modified. Stay tuned!

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
new member class

I hear there is a new member class. if you place 3 times in you have to move to semi pro. Does this still require signing up early or can you just show up to a race and pay the fee. also what day do you typically show up fr a race? Thanks

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I hear there is a new member class. if you place 3 times in you have to move to semi pro. Does this still require signing up early or can you just show up to a race and pay the fee. also what day do you typically show up fr a race? Thanks

Before I explain, let me clarify what classes you're talking about.

Amateurs Stock, Improved Stock, Modified classes:
This class is designed for those interested in trying out the sport and for those juniors that are 16 years and older to advance to a class before semi-pro. Once you podium 3 times in this class you must advance to semi-pro (or Pro if you choose to go to that level). I can not get the document to open on the new site, so I can't say what entry fees are or what order these classes will file into the existing classes.

New Member Class:
This class is an option IN ADDITION to any Semi-Pro or Pro class you may already be running. The purpose of this class is to give a racer that is a first year member of RMSHA to qualify for ONE (1) class entry to the Jackson Hole Hillclimb. There is a Stock, Improved, and Mod New Member class. Each class is only run once, and generally only one class per pre-Jackson race (i.e. New Member Stock is run at Bear Lake, Improved at Afton, etc...) If you finish in the Top 3 in ANY New Member race you will receive your Jackson entry and are not eligible to race any other New Member class races.

In regards to the Amateur classes - Being a RMSHA implemented deal I would plan on registering for races during the early dates listed on the website. Taking into account the way promoter run Amateur classes go, you may be able to sign up the day of the race (CAN'T GUARANTEE THAT). I don't believe there is a points system involved, but you should probably contact someone via RMSHA (board) to determine if a membership fee needs paid. I would imagine these classes to be run towards the end of finals day, as typically happens when a promoter offers a locals/amateur class. I will post if I get information about registering the weekend/day that these classes are run.

Typically I like to show up a day early to get everything set up and to take advantage of being able to test any last minute setups if they have a test area available. Some races offer them, some you must come ready or find an open area to test before you get to a race site. A lot also depends on how far you have to travel and what your schedule allows. Drivers meetings are mandatory and are always held each morning prior to racing. It is tough to show up the morning of a race in time for the meeting and to get everything set up IMHO, so the earlier you can show up the better.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
thanks

so basically I need to do this in conjunction with semi pro for more experience. If I like it and a temp registered I would not get a chance at Jackson because I would not earn points. If I did place in new member I could still have a chance at jackson but it would be the last race of the hill climb and most likely is really bad shape?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Correct. As a temp member you could race the Amateur classes, OR just start in Semi-Pro but would not be competing for points (which also means not qualifying for Jackson). Temp member also can not run in the New Member class for a shot at a Jackson entry.

I believe all the classes, Amateurs & New Members would still be run at the end of finals for whichever lane finished earlier (Semi-Pro/Womens race a different lane than Pros and are usually done first on finals day). That would mean you are running on the course at its most worn out point, but that's not necessarily a disadvantage.

Premium Features