• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Logan riding?

Pine-sol

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hello all. I'm looking for a little guidance and help finding where to ride while
in Logan. My son is attending USU and we are looking forward to experiencing
the riding available there.I've kinda searched the web and haven't found too much info. So I figured it best to ask my fellow sledders.

I am wondering things like where to park, if you can use Logan as your base for the weekend, where not to go. I'm not asking for honey holes, just basic info to get us on the hill.

We have our own machines, so we're not renting. Just need a place to ride when visiting him on the weekend.

I currently live in the Boise area, and know the riding here fairly well. With that said, maybe a little info swap could be had? or a guided ride swap?

Thanks for your help.

R
Feb 9, 2010
Pine-Sol

I to have a student at USU and a cabin at Beal Lake, about 45min up Logan canyon. Logan is a perfect home base with as much as you want to take on within an hour. Tony Grove, Franklin Basin, Beaver Mountain, Hardware Ranch, and the sinks all are accessible right up the canyon above the school. I'd look into the state trail system up there for the parking and groomed trails. Have fun and stay safe:)

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Tell us what type of riding you like to do. You can find a little of everything up Logan Canyon. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on where is best, truth is anywhere you see sleds up there you can unload and find just about any type of riding you want.

Pine-sol

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks to both robm1000 and cpa for the quick replies.
My son has made mention of both Tony's Grove and the sinks. I guess he's doing some skiing up at Tonys already.
I just wasn't sure if those were rideable areas. Not really looking to ruin a weekend by being in the wrong spot.

As for types of riding, we'll take any kind, minus miles of trails. Boondocking is our favorite though.

So, if you see a spot to park and like what you see, you're free to ride it?
(up logan canyon)

thanks again

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
My son has made mention of both Tony's Grove and the sinks. I guess he's doing some skiing up at Tonys already.
I just wasn't sure if those were rideable areas. Not really looking to ruin a weekend by being in the wrong spot.

As for types of riding, we'll take any kind, minus miles of trails. Boondocking is our favorite though.

(up logan canyon)

thanks again

NO, there is a bunch in the lower sections of the canyon that are non motorized (Temple Fork for one). The bottom section of Tony Grove is also non motorized for the skinny skiers. You have to stay on the groomed road til you get a ways up before it opens up. You should get a winter travel map. The Logan Ranger district office is located just up the street(1/4 mile) from USU before you head up the canyon near first dam.

H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah

(up logan canyon)

thanks again

Not necessarily. There are a few places in logan canyon that are wilderness. One of them being bunchgrass located between tony grove and franklin basin. There is some very aggressive riding in Tony, personally I like to ride it later in the season when the snow coverage is thicker. There is some good riding in Franklin and Beaver Creek, but there is a little more trail riding to get into the more aggressive hills. Thats generally where I ride early season. They both have some amazing boondocking and tree riding if thats what you're into. The sinks is probably the mellowest riding of all of them.

Pine-sol

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. All good useful information. Now I can have my son pick up a map and bring home over thanksgiving break.
Thought I was interpreting that as to good to be true(ride what you see).

Figure we'll do our riding down there after Christmas break. Generally there is plenty of cover by then right?

thanks again

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Pine-Sol

I to have a student at USU and a cabin at Beal Lake, about 45min up Logan canyon. Logan is a perfect home base with as much as you want to take on within an hour. Tony Grove, Franklin Basin, Beaver Mountain, Hardware Ranch, and the sinks all are accessible right up the canyon above the school. I'd look into the state trail system up there for the parking and groomed trails. Have fun and stay safe:)

I also have a place in Bear Lake. Coming down a few times this winter the first time being over Thanksgiving so have to pick up the sleds from Renegade. I am in St Charles, where about are you?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Shoot me a pm when you head up this way. I'm sure tgitt will chime in here soon and we ride Logan canyon every weekend. You and your son could join us and we could show you around a few places! For what you like to do I would suggest Franklin basin or beaver creek area. Tony grove can get sketchy if you don't know your way around.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Shoot me a pm when you head up this way. I'm sure tgitt will chime in here soon and we ride Logan canyon every weekend. You and your son could join us and we could show you around a few places! For what you like to do I would suggest Franklin basin or beaver creek area. Tony grove can get sketchy if you don't know your way around.

X2 Tony's Grove is a blast but both Chris and I can tell you first hand if no one in your group knows the area, bad things can happen. There are cliffs and sink holes that can sneak up on you. :) I'd recommend Franklin Basin or Beaver Creek as well.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
X2 Tony's Grove is a blast but both Chris and I can tell you first hand if no one in your group knows the area, bad things can happen. There are cliffs and sink holes that can sneak up on you. :) I'd recommend Franklin Basin or Beaver Creek as well.

Haha very true! JP hopefully we can hook up for some rides this year!

You guys still around Logan? I recently moved to the area and would love to ride with some locals so I can get a handle on the area. I don't need your honey holes, just maybe a "Where not to go" for a couple rides so I can get my bearings. I don't want to end up in sketchy zones. I love riding trees but can get down with pretty much anything.
Thanks Guys

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Weve been known to get out a time or two in the winter months. This is right above the Logan area. About 45 min from my shop door to this spot if I was to guess. What do you ride?
IMG_20170303_151059124.jpg

Premium Features