• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's compare 2012 gmc's

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
I have a 2012 silverado with the 6.2 and max package. At 65 to 75 mph I will get 17mpg. Pulling a 20ft flatbed with 4 sleds at 75mph I get 9mpg. Has plenty of power just no lug. It will still shift alot pulling a trailer and it won't hold the cruise control. Nice truck but I will go back to a duramax.

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
I have a 2012 silverado with the 6.2 and max package. At 65 to 75 mph I will get 17mpg. Pulling a 20ft flatbed with 4 sleds at 75mph I get 9mpg. Has plenty of power just no lug. It will still shift alot pulling a trailer and it won't hold the cruise control. Nice truck but I will go back to a duramax.

Good tip, what gears in the rear end?

A

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Sorry to do it, but I gotta say I love my Ecoboost.

I have towed the same 4 place enclosed with my Ecoboost that my buddy has towed with a 6.2 half ton Chevy and 6.2 Escalade.

Ecoboost flat out tows better, without question.

The 6.2s are fast and in an empty drag race should be similar or faster then the Ecoboost. But, the fact is the Ecoboost makes way, way more low end torque and hardly downshifts. The 6.2 is always shifting and likes to Rev. The Ecoboost loves 1800-3000 RPM.

Then you add in the Ford has a far bigger crew cab and gives you the 6.5 ft box option with the crew.

Why on earth would you buy the Chevy/GMC?

I have zero brand loyalty. Last two trucks were Cummins. Truck before that was a GMC. This is my first Ford and I love it.

That being said, I really like Duramax. Looked hard at one and just couldn't justify the cost. Didn't trust the new Powerstroke. I like the Cummins and the fact you can still get a stick shift. However I tried something new and love the Ecoboost.

Also, as far towing 7000 lbs. I wouldn't worry about it at all. My F150 tows a 4 place enclosed great and we towed one with Escalade a bunch. They tow just fine.

Just my 2 cents, from a former diesel owner. I love diesels but the way they rape us on fuel, they are only worth it if you tow a lot and tow over 9000 lbs. Or you own a business were the fuel is a tax write off.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I had my mind set i was going to buy a diesel when i went to the dealer and it was the salesman that talked me out of it. He asked if we have a big fifth wheel or anything real heavy we pull, and i dont. Just a jet boat and couple sleds and he brought me over to the truck i bought and glad he did. He out right said ill sell you what ever you want but in his opinion i was wasting money being over trucked. BTW he also gave me a good trade in price and 10 k off the sticker:face-icon-small-hap great guy to deal with. Price difference between diesel and gas is the same in most of bc (does not make sense i know). Its no question a diesel packing a load will get better fuel economy but not enough to off set the price difference and for what im hauling it would not be that much of a diffrance. They also cost more to maintain and fix, oil changes, fuel filters ect.. So for my use out of a truck this one suits me just fine. But the black smoke is cool lol Just somthing for some guys in the market for a truck to think about.

Last edited:

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
Why on earth would you buy the Chevy/GMC?

Reason one

Here's why, I drive an f250 for work, I live less than 1.5 miles from the ford dealership yet this past summer I had two breakdowns and the dealer would not even look at my truck for ten days. Service writers insisted they were backed up. Both times I loaded it on a trailer hauled it 120 miles to laurel ford and had it repaired and returned in three days.

Reason two

Anytime I have had a problem with my GMC, that dealer tosses me a set of keys to a new rig and away I go. Calls when it is done and remembers my kids name. Acts like they want to do business with me.

Reason three

I am not a fan of the ford interior, even though it has more room than my gmc. I feel like the cup holders are all in the wrong spots and the radio knobs look out of place. I am not a fan of the wood grain panels ford uses and I like a smooth dash board instead of that spot that is dished out and collects papers, binoculars and packs of gum.

They are probably great trucks, I just don't want one.

I am glad you like yours and hope it treats you well.

A

A
Nov 14, 2010
Alaska
Reason one

Here's why, I drive an f250 for work, I live less than 1.5 miles from the ford dealership yet this past summer I had two breakdowns and the dealer would not even look at my truck for ten days. Service writers insisted they were backed up. Both times I loaded it on a trailer hauled it 120 miles to laurel ford and had it repaired and returned in three days.

Reason two

Anytime I have had a problem with my GMC, that dealer tosses me a set of keys to a new rig and away I go. Calls when it is done and remembers my kids name. Acts like they want to do business with me.

Reason three

I am not a fan of the ford interior, even though it has more room than my gmc. I feel like the cup holders are all in the wrong spots and the radio knobs look out of place. I am not a fan of the wood grain panels ford uses and I like a smooth dash board instead of that spot that is dished out and collects papers, binoculars and packs of gum.

A
I am not brand loyal at all... I spent 6 months researching the truck that would suit my needs best and I chose GMC...

I knew I wanted 3/4 not 1 ton, and needed a truck that would work well with a sled deck and still be a decent driver. The reason I chose GMC is the 6.0 kicks but over the other 3/4 gassers when loaded and the frame is more rigid/flexs less... (definite plus for sled deck in my opinion) I went with the Denali because I wanted the more plush interior/options.. I plan/hope to make this truck last 10 years... I put 35k on the last one in 5 years so 10 years should be doable I would think.

I should add in Anchorage all the dealers suck when it comes to service... I always find it amazing at the lack of customer service in so many businesses today.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I am not brand loyal at all... I spent 6 months researching the truck that would suit my needs best and I chose GMC...

I knew I wanted 3/4 not 1 ton, and needed a truck that would work well with a sled deck and still be a decent driver. The reason I chose GMC is the 6.0 kicks but over the other 3/4 gassers when loaded and the frame is more rigid/flexs less... (definite plus for sled deck in my opinion) I went with the Denali because I wanted the more plush interior/options.. I plan/hope to make this truck last 10 years... I put 35k on the last one in 5 years so 10 years should be doable I would think.

I should add in Anchorage all the dealers suck when it comes to service... I always find it amazing at the lack of customer service in so many businesses today.

Sounds like you got a sweet truck! But i don't think the 6.0 kicks butt over the other gassers... Both the 6.2 ford and the 5.7 hemi have more power than the 6.0 Just saying...

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
There is also zero ride difference in the ride of the GM 3/4 ton to 1 ton on 2011+ trucks.

Extra leaf spring floats. Shocks are valved slightly different but you won't be able to tell. Worth the extra money. About $900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Nov 14, 2010
Alaska
Sounds like you got a sweet truck! But i don't think the 6.0 kicks butt over the other gassers... Both the 6.2 ford and the 5.7 hemi have more power than the 6.0 Just saying...
Actually you are incorrect... That may or may not be true empty with no load, but all the independent tests that have been done show GM's 6.0 out powering the others when fully loaded and towing a loaded trailer. The Hemi was the most sluggish with the ford one step above the Hemi. Not hard to research... When I was looking for the right truck for me, I just combed thru all the different information on the net... I almost went Dodge cause I really like their newer dressed up enterior over GM and Ford.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Talking about ride comfort I can't complain about the ride in my 2012 1ton duramax. Of course it's more stiff then my half Ton was but I love my truck. Reason I went for 1 ton was because of my sled deck. I get compliments on how
Smooth it rides for a 1 ton. Looked hard at the ford but its a new motor couldn't get myself to get one. And I'm partial to Chevy:)

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
order a chevy version with the HD trailer package and you get the 6.2, 3/4 ton semi floater axles(same as the 2500)

Its not the same axle. SF versus FF. 12 bolts on the diff cover versus 14. 6 lug versus 8. I believe the brakes are different too, but not 100% sure on that one. The front axle is not the same either. Not that it really matters to most people, but just pointing it out.

The 1/2 ton HD trailer package is definitely sweet, but its not equivalent to 3/4 ton stuff. They used to make a 1500HD that was, but it was discontinued years ago.

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
To the OP..... if you're buying this truck primarily for towing and not DD use, get the HD, you won't regret it. They tow SOOOOOO much better. I've towed the same trailer back to back with a 07 GMC 1/2 ton Max, then a 06 3/4 ton. Night and day difference. Not a difference in power, but just in how stable the load is, the ability to stop, how much the trailer moves the truck around on the road, etc. The difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton can't be truly appreciated until you pull the same trailer behind them and see for yourself. Same goes with the difference between a gas and diesel truck, but we won't go there since you don't want to. ;)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
To the OP..... if you're buying this truck primarily for towing and not DD use, get the HD, you won't regret it. They tow SOOOOOO much better. I've towed the same trailer back to back with a 07 GMC 1/2 ton Max, then a 06 3/4 ton. Night and day difference. Not a difference in power, but just in how stable the load is, the ability to stop, how much the trailer moves the truck around on the road, etc. The difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton can't be truly appreciated until you pull the same trailer behind them and see for yourself. Same goes with the difference between a gas and diesel truck, but we won't go there since you don't want to. ;)
yes and no...you are right..the full floater is stronger as far as wheel bearings..but same size ring and pinion..and for the loads he is towing..more then adequite...as for handling /braking on the new 1/2s vrs the 3/4s and 1 tonners...they are far closer then even just a few years ago..all you need do is look at the manufacturers towing specs....the current 1/2 tonners are rated to haul loads that a 1 tonner was rated for even as little as 6-7 yrs ago...which if you think about it..if you wouldnt have an issue hooking a 7000 pd trailer to a 2003 1 ton..you shouldnt have an issue hooking it to new 1/2 tonner...promise the 1/2 tonner has better brakes(diameter, swept pad area, anti-lock brake system), stronger frame, better tranny, and better suspension then the 03 1 tonner would....I agree...bigger does normally pull better..but for a 7000 pd trailer...the current 1/2 tonners will pull it just fine...heck the bigger/better argument means you should skip the 3/4/1tonners and go straight to the 6500s since they will handle a trailer better then the 3/4/1 tonners right?

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB

X2. I had a 21ft enclosed I was pulling with my '08 vortecmax and the truck pulled it great and I thought it was stable enough. Hooked the trailer to my buddies 3/4 ton with the 6l and it felt soo much more stable. Was harder on fuel but worth it IMO. I've since traded in the max for a 3/4 6l. I also run a deck now instead just because its easier and I can.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
40 cents a gallon difference between regular unleaded and diesel.

Almost $15 a tank.

In Utah diesel was over a dollar more than regular gas last winter.

I can't imagine why GM will not put the superior 6.2 in the 2500 and 3500 trucks.

I've put my tipping point at 75 cents a gallon. When diesel hits that point more expensive I'm selling the Dodge and getting gasser, leaning to the Ford Eco boost.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Reason one

Reason two

Reason three

A

Fair enough. I haven't brought my truck to dealer once, and knock on wood I hope I don't have to. Maybe if I do I will change my brands if I have the same experience as you.

Just like sleds, the dealer makes the difference.

Although, I was 100% happy with my sales/buying experience at Bozeman Ford.

If I wanted a sled deck I would probably opt for the 3/4 or 1 ton long box but for around here I'm happy pulling a trailer.

Just my opinion but I thought the Ford and Dodge interior was nicer then the GM. They are behind in that department if you ask me. Isn't a new GM truck due out soon? I would go back to GM if they came out with a V6 Duramax in a half ton or Ecoboost like motor. I've got a buddy that works at the Chevy dealer and gives me hell for driving a Ford.

Also, when building a truck online, a GMC with 6.2 costs almost exactly the same as my Ecoboost.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
In Utah diesel was over a dollar more than regular gas last winter.

I can't imagine why GM will not put the superior 6.2 in the 2500 and 3500 trucks.

I've put my tipping point at 75 cents a gallon. When diesel hits that point more expensive I'm selling the Dodge and getting gasser, leaning to the Ford Eco boost.

6.0 is an iron block, so it take the heat and abuse better than the lighter aluminum 6.2

6.0 is also more of a multi-purpose motor. Their hybrid is based off the 6.0 and the CNG/Regular unleaded combo motor is based off the 6.0

I'm not sure the 6.2 can handle long term towing demands in a 3/4 ton+ truck. I would buy the 6.2 myself but I am not towing a lot or very often. If you tow daily I'm not sure I would trust the 6.2 even if it were in a 3/4 ton.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Actually you are incorrect... That may or may not be true empty with no load, but all the independent tests that have been done show GM's 6.0 out powering the others when fully loaded and towing a loaded trailer. The Hemi was the most sluggish with the ford one step above the Hemi. Not hard to research... When I was looking for the right truck for me, I just combed thru all the different information on the net... I almost went Dodge cause I really like their newer dressed up enterior over GM and Ford.

Weird... Every report i have read show's the GM in last of the gas motors when they are loaded. I have always been a GM guy but i sure wish they would build another good gas powered towing motor... Because the 6.0 sure doesn't have very good power :(

Premium Features