• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacons....something to think about.

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
I got my HMK pack last year, I'm getting some more gear before snow fall. Can someone suggest a beacon? In the midwest these Avalanches you speak of don't happen, so I have no clue what brands decent and what to expect. I know what they do though lol.

thanks

Greenie

A
Dec 11, 2007
My favorite quote so far:

Bonus Arctic Man beacon drill: put the beacon on the drunkest wanderer in your party and try to find them at night!

Anyways, after riding for a couple of years without one I am now a diehard beacon proponent.

A couple of years ago I bought my brother and I the new "Pulse" beacon and it is super easy to use. Takes you straight to the beacons w/o going in an arc and allows you to mark victims during multiple burials, basically allowing you to focus on the next signal w/o jamming the 1st signal. Def. recommend this beacon to everyone. I will be buying another pair this year for the kids and teach them how to use them.

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
Good info here for sure but I must add one thing. These beacons and back packs give many of us a false sense of security. MANY of the people killed in avys were in areas with EXTREME AVY WARNINGS POSTED. We use these tools as an excuse to over ride our common sense. We need to keep it real and remember that more times than not a beacon is used to find the body. Better to use you head than the equipment. Sorry if I step on some toes. Just tired of lossing fellow sledders.

H
Feb 8, 2008
I at a friend because he wouldn't wear a becon he didn't die but after I told him 3 weekends in a row he couldn't come with me because he didn't have one he stopped calling! I plan on getting a second becon for a loaner and a second pack with probe, shovel, and WATER I think that's the thing people forget the most. You can live for a week without food (or two if your my size!) but only 3 days max without water.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
For those without beacons (myself included), what are the chances of getting a group buy on them? I haven't ridden any big mountains yet but I plan on doing that soon so we need to get them.

A
Jan 2, 2010
Anchorage
Great post i guess im one of those people who just doesnt have a clue. I have a pack but no beacon where would someone be able to buy one of those and is there any specific kind i should get?:D

K

-kodiakcassells

Dec 17, 2009
Anchorage AK
The plunge

At the Beginning of the Season I bought 2 probes 2 shovels 2 beacons a float 30 and some heart ache from the Missus for the cost of the gear. But me and my son will ride more prepared and my oldest now wears the gear while back country snow boarding with his friends I am more relaxed now knowing it is used when he is out without me. As a parent I put the price of the gear as more important than a newer sled for my Middle son who rides with me and for my oldest he got that instead of a newer snow board.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
At the Beginning of the Season I bought 2 probes 2 shovels 2 beacons a float 30 and some heart ache from the Missus for the cost of the gear. But me and my son will ride more prepared and my oldest now wears the gear while back country snow boarding with his friends I am more relaxed now knowing it is used when he is out without me. As a parent I put the price of the gear as more important than a newer sled for my Middle son who rides with me and for my oldest he got that instead of a newer snow board.

Great decision, I applaud you. I hope his boarding buddies also have gear, and practice with it.

Premium Features