• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$12,000 to spend on 3 mtn sleds....What were the good '04 - '06 Mtn Sleds?

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
For you; 07-10 RMK 700 IQ ($5K)
Sons: 02-05 600 or 700 RMK ($3K each

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
Efi.. M7's seem to be the best bang for your buck. There's alot of them around with various track length's. They are easy to ride and easy to get parts for and easy to sell if you want to upgrade in a few years.

Best of Luck

A

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Depends on what kind of riding you like to do. M7s are the best boondocking sled in your price range for sure. If you want a sled to climb big hills in deep powder the 900 cats are an awesome sled. I still have a 900 that will climb with everything but they definitely beat you up down the trail and are not nearly as fun in the trees.
Rode with a few revs that worked well but from what i've read ski doo motors really start to come apart at 2000 miles so you will be hard pressed to find anything I would trust.
Also look at polaris 600/700s. Time are hard if you have cash to offer people may just take what they can get, there are plenty of great sleds in the 3500-4000 range I definitely wouldn't settle for anything older then an 04.

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
Efi.. M7's seem to be the best bang for your buck. There's alot of them around with various track length's. They are easy to ride and easy to get parts for and easy to sell if you want to upgrade in a few years.

Best of Luck

A

Secondly everyone seems to be going to the "Wrong Foot Forward" style of riding, these are probably the easiest sleds for your kids to learn that style, and would probably require the least amount of modifications. Although I like the other sleds mentioned. I would be prone to buying a rider forward or upright designed sled.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
06 800x rev's! get something ur boys can grow on. Rider forward technology. cat and poo just copied it. start out on a light weight flickable sled. :face-icon-small-coo

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I need to spend some time on his XP this winter. I really would like to get to understand the crazy riding positions required to get it to do what I want. So when I get the chance this winter I am going to switch with him. I know his old Rev was great on the trails, I had some trouble balancing it in the steep and deep compared to my M series. So will see. Still don't think I would buy one, but would like to get better at riding one.

Thunder

What are these crazy riding positions you speak of??

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
If you want your boys to spend time in the garage wrenching get em revs. If you want them to ride get M7s.

06 rev was the best out of the box reliable sled. took the cover of snowest as best mtn sled in 06 and i had one for 3 years. never let me down. cant argue with that unless you want to. And 700????? really. thats stupid. start on a 800 and wave at the 700's that cant keep up

Last edited:
B
Mar 31, 2011
Calgary
Thanks For the Advice!

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. We were leaning towards getting some Cats but I do have Ski-doo's in my history. Having reviewed the opinions, we'll be looking for some combination of M6, M7 or M8's over the next few months.

Thanks again!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
05-06 Revs are the way to go IMO. I had an 05 M7, would far rather be on a Rev.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
If you dont mind the weight of an Apex you can buy them pretty cheap these days. Super reliable and crazy fast if you find a cheap used turbo kit. :face-icon-small-hap

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. We were leaning towards getting some Cats but I do have Ski-doo's in my history. Having reviewed the opinions, we'll be looking for some combination of M6, M7 or M8's over the next few months.

Thanks again!

You don't say what kind of altitude you ride at or what you're looking for fer power, but a combo of a couple M6's and a M7 or M8 would be a good choice.
05-06 M sleds, if they haven't been owned by someone who's kept up with the updates will need a few relatively simple upgrades, mainly to the rear suspension to make them more rideable and ifyou can find them with Camo Extreme tracks or Maverick tracks, you'll be better off than the A-20 tracks, IMO.
I got about 2500pull and go mi on a 05 M7 and expect alot more trouble free miles out of it. Shocks haven't even needed to be rebuilt yet.
600-700RMK's in the Edge chassis are near bulletproof as well. Old riding style, but with a bar riser they throw around and climb in the powder quite well, dime a dozen parts like the Msleds.
Rev's, IMO, great sled, ahead of it's time for riding position, but I don't know too many people with no engine work on their 800's. Now if you can get a 600 REV for the kids, they are pull and go high mile sleds. I don't prefer the powder characteristics of them though. The Poos and Cats will be easier to sidehill for newer riders.

Premium Features