• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best low cost mountain sled?

S
Sep 16, 2010
Last year I was looking for a sled to run up the the UP with. Found a 98' AC powder special 600efi 136" for $750. And it just had the 600 rebuild by a dealer. Went through it with a fine tooth comb and put $200 into it in bearings, belt. And she was ready to go. So for under a grand you may get lucky.

Only problem I never made it up to the UP last year. Hopefully this year!

Good find, 600 EFIs are great little motors!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Where are you located?

I had an 2002 Arctic Cat 800, that ran well. It was reliable (just keep your exhaust valves clean and adjusted!). You might look in that direction. $1200 is going to be hard. $1500-$2000 leaves you WAY more options.

I would honestly try to get more money even if you have to wait longer to get a sled. I think in the end if you spend $1200 on a sled now, you will end up paying for it later in repairs. Honestly, save a little more money and you will be happier.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
old RMKs from 97 - on are very reliable. can put 1000s of miles on them before any thinking of redoing the top end.

use to have 4 sleds around here that were from 6,000 - 11,000miles and nothing touched on them.

gas,oil and go!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I would go for a 99 700 rmk with little to no mods. They are a fun reliable sled,and in your price range.

That would be my vote, 97-2000 RMK700, Mountian max 700, or Powder specail 600. Stay away from the 700 Cat you mentioned.

Some of you guys crack me up. This guy said he has a grand to spend on a sled, so quit telling him to look for a $8000 sled with payments.

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
Well guys thanks for all the advice! Its been a while, but I just picked up a 2000 Ski Doo MXZ 600 with a 136 track conversion. Comes with a 2 inch paddle track, and its in fairly good shape. Got it for 1100.

I think it will handle the snow around here pretty well, and can teach me to ride. Also I can clean it up and sell it for a bit more than I paid for it next year and get a nicer sled.

I will post pictures in a bit.

F
Nov 27, 2007
Nice!

I was just going to post that I had just picked up a 00 Summit 600 for $900 and a 02 Summit 800 151 for 1500 here within the last two weeks..The deals are out there..most people these days are willing to take wayyy less then what they are asking so dont be shy..

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
it is possiable to find a good deal on a good sled. I bought my 2002 700 RMK for $500 and it has low miles, no wrecks and is a great sled all around. Just keep your eyes open and you will find a good deal on a nice sled.

Where the hell did you find that lol

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
Do not be scared of a $1000 sled. If the only choise we had was to spend $180 per month to own a snowmobile some of us including myself would not be snowmobilers. I cannot afford $180 per month without depriving my family of the necessities in life. I do not even spend that kind of money for our main family vehicle. If you learn how to work on these older sleds and shop around places like e-bay you can keep the older sleds going and still have all kinds of fun. I purchased a 97 Powder Special in 2003 for $650 with a blown motor. 2 pistons a cylinder and replacement of a streched chain and broken gear I had it running. Approx $400 plus my time and labor. I am still running that Powder Special. Yes I have had some repairs over the last 7 years which have averaged out to $125 per year and I have spent another $500 total in added improvements such as a longer track, clutch improvements, bar risers, carb mods and a recovered seat. The bottom line is dont let someone tell you the only way to have fun is to spend thousands of dollars for a new or newer sled.

I have to agree. I purchased an older sled last year and have shopped on ebay and graigslist for parts and parts sleds and have gotten great deals and many parts to replace for a nominal price should something break. I've also made a few added improvements at around 300 dollars. Its great fun but can be done for a minimal price if your willing to put some elbow grease into it!:D

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
my friend just found a $1500 2000 rmk with a 02 600 VES. 1700 miles, 144" track, edge suspension, clutched.... I'll go check it out wiht him, but it all sounds good.
If you look, you can find the deals.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Well guys thanks for all the advice! Its been a while, but I just picked up a 2000 Ski Doo MXZ 600 with a 136 track conversion. Comes with a 2 inch paddle track, and its in fairly good shape. Got it for 1100.

I think it will handle the snow around here pretty well, and can teach me to ride. Also I can clean it up and sell it for a bit more than I paid for it next year and get a nicer sled.

I will post pictures in a bit.

Way to go? I picked up a 95 Summit 670 with an extra 136 2 Inch track. Had to put a recoil kit and CDI (ebay $25) to get it running for $400. Bought it originally to part out on Ebay but found out it was still licensed so I will have a little fun with it this winter before I tear it down. If you ever get to the Black Hills to ride look me up. We can take out junk out and have some fun.

W

wyodoo

Dec 1, 2007
gillette wyoming
You can find older Yamaha Phazer II's for $500 to $1000 and they are super reliable and capable even with only a 136" track. They are lite and run many miles with normal maintinance. Friend of mine had a 1992 with 5800 miles and the thing ran like a champ.
I think that would be your best bet.

You might find in that price range an RMK 488 or 550 Polaris fan that is also very good. Don't discount the fan sleds. They run many miles and are way less stressed that the higher HP liquids. They are also light and fun to ride.
Just don't expect to highmark anyone unless you are creative. But thats part of the fun of them

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

The track I somehow have to put on it..

IMG_0240.jpg

Any tips on what kind of work I should do to prep it for the season are appreciated, I took off the carbs and cleaned them really well, but besides that I know more or less nothing about these things... How do you tune the carbs right?

Changing the track now, got the old one off, now just to put the newer one on.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Hard to tune the carbs before you have a chance to run during the winter. But, a good start would be to call up your local dealer and see what the stock jetting was. Assuming no major mods have been made to the motor (pipe, etc) these should be good baselines. Same goes for the clutches. Check for belt deflection and play in the clutches so you don't find yourself buying a belt you didn't want. That and the typical suspension check (hyfax, grease, bolt tightening, shock examination, etc) should be a good start. While you have the suspension off, spin the to boggie wheels and make sure they rotate freely. Depending on how many miles this thing has on it, the bearings may be nearing the end of their life...otherwise, go over things closely now to save yourself some headache in the cold!

Have fun!!

-T

Premium Features