• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few progress pics of my yamadoo

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
im thinkin that im gonna jet it on the fatter side so even if im low on a cold morning its sage and then im gonna run a pitot jet with a bleeder style boost controller to let off boost signal to the float bowls when its warmer out or im higher up. its the way the pitot jet tube in the old rear mounts worked, but the bleeder style boost controller alows much easier fine tuning. i dont mind pulling carbs to much either, im getting good at it! i got some 145's and 152.5s to go test out, heading back to my house as we speak, and like i siad, im gonna jet it so im at lower 10's right now for AFR as im about as low as it will be run, and its preety cool out, then i can lean it down with the bleeder

bart0678

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
powerjets for the win dude. they are simple to install and you can re jet your sled with the twist of the screw up to 8 or 10 sizes. if you installed them. you could probably dial that thing in with a quickness and might even have a shot of it running right on the mountain due to changing conditions. nothing worse then your buds having to sit around and watch you rejet your sled so it will run right on the hill.
adam

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
so i through some 152.5's in the thing, went to take it for a rip... it runs nice and AFR's are right around 11..... but the problem I am having is that the thing will only rev to around 7k where it jus kinda burbles and refuses to run, any extra throttle and it just farts and stutters. so i went to get some new plugs figuring the ones that are in it were sitting in it sat there for over a year before i bought the sled, and it has been flooded out like crazy with the 190's. when installing the last plug it snapped the threaded part off at the crush waser.. i had to go get a bolt puller to ram down into it to pull it out, but have a test this evening, so i cant finish the project till later. BUT... this should help as the old plugs were lookin really dark, so i figure new ones couldnt hurt the thing. hate to chase my tail over bad plugs!!

and i might even just throw a single power jet in the charge tube to help dial it in for day to day changes... and when i go home and ride at much lower elevations.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
from what ive seen with adding fuel in the charge tube is excess fuel puddling in the intake, not good!

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
from what ive seen with adding fuel in the charge tube is excess fuel puddling in the intake, not good!

all depends on how much fuel your adding with the powerjet in the charge tube

the charge tube jet is mostly used as a mid range jet doesn't effect the top end as much as the jets close to the carbs.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
either which way, not to worried about that yet as im not htinking that is an issue anmore.. i have been farting around, got fresh plugs in it, now its just being retarted. it wont rev with the belt on past 9000 rpm and it wont rev past about 6000 on the stand with no load... WTF!!!! riding it in the alley i get right around 6k before it just stops reving and farting out on me. my air fuel is darn close the whole time through, it just stops reving up! WTH!? here is a quick video of me reving on the stand, i tried to ease past the clutch engagement, but alas.. nothing. when i hammer it WOT< it goes to 9k then dies down and you have to let of and get back on it if you want it to rev. if you feather it, 9k and it just sits and kinda stutters and if you try to rev past 9k it just sits and stutters and the more you hit the throttle the more it stutters and starts to drop RPM more and more depending on the throttle position. WTF!? my air fuel is perfect the whole time.. just not getting it! heres a video I took of it.. nothing to exciting, just so you can hear it.

sled running video

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
did you try leaning it out like it wont rev because it wont burn the fuel just a thought but it should burn it at 11.7 i seen some two strokes that wouldn't run right enless at 13.2

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
it jumps to 17 when i let off the throttle, not when i got on it.. did some reading, i think i need to clean my ignition coils as i guess the 03 ones are notorious for messing up and and arcing really bad, so that would make sense, under high load they are missing really bad. i am having the symptoms of the the coils getting bad contact with plugs, so im gonna clean em up tommorow and see what it does. the one has a tiny bit of rust dust in it as it had gotten water in it when it sat before i bought it, so if i clean em all and put di-electric grease on em it should help, this would explain why it didnt like to rev up when i first bought it before the turbo, thats why i could ease by it as it would do alright when it was lean enough to push past crappy spark, to much fuel, DEATH!

it would explain it a lot as if i just hold it it loads up and looses rpm.

Last edited:

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
it jumps to 17 when i let off the throttle, not when i got on it.. did some reading, i think i need to clean my ignition coils as i guess the 03 ones are notorious for messing up and and arcing really bad, so that would make sense, under high load they are missing really bad. i am having the symptoms of the the coils getting bad contact with plugs, so im gonna clean em up tommorow and see what it does. the one has a tiny bit of rust dust in it as it had gotten water in it when it sat before i bought it, so if i clean em all and put di-electric grease on em it should help, this would explain why it didnt like to rev up when i first bought it before the turbo, thats why i could ease by it as it would do alright when it was lean enough to push past crappy spark, to much fuel, DEATH!

it would explain it a lot as if i just hold it it loads up and looses rpm.

why didn't you say this before lol

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i wish i was at my house right now cuz i would be all over this thing, just didnt realize it was a huge deal, but from what im reading they will cause issues with the higher RPM range, especially under boost as theres a LOT more air/fuel to burn up.. sometimes i just really wonder what on earth is going on in my brain and why i dont think of these things.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I know I posted this at one point in here but when you were rejetting did you check all the little O-rings in the carbs specially the ones that seal off the main jets in the float bowls. They need to be absolutely perfect as a small knick in one or two of those will present with the symtoms you have.

M5

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I know I posted this at one point in here but when you were rejetting did you check all the little O-rings in the carbs specially the ones that seal off the main jets in the float bowls. They need to be absolutely perfect as a small knick in one or two of those will present with the symtoms you have.

M5
yeah, i been keeping an eye on those when i keep swapping mains, they been looking perfect. reading shows badly worn coils can cause huge issues with starting(doesnt start as easy as it should), misfiring under load(this problem), and people having there peak RPM slowly come down ( this problem)... seen on TY people rebuilding clutches, this and that trying to get there RPM back, they clean the coils up and BOOM shes happy as pie and runs like a champ. so im gonna go clean that up at lunch and see what doesnt happen.

and kinger.. you cant post on here and TY... then i gotta respond twice!

and i dont remeber if some of you remeber but i said it handt run perfect before the turbo and people were worried as starting with a problem is never good.. well, this seems like what it could be, so im gonna give it a whirl and see what i cant get done, as it exibited the exact signs of coil failure before i swapped it.. HMM....

M
Jan 14, 2004
Hmmm. Well I have to admit that I haven't read this whole thread as its getting pretty fricken long, LOL but I didn't realize you had the problem before the turbo so hopefully it's the coils.

M5

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i always wish its small things, but it isnt... argh... cleaned up coils, greased em up all nice.. and NOTHING.. runs a tiny bit cleaner, but nothing really worth a crap, just a little different... still cant build big RPM... WTH? u hate chasing my tail all day, another queston, is it possible that my jetting is to fat so as the thing buils boost and the needles come way up its loading up and dying?? just another thought, afr gauge looks good, sitting mid 11's when i hit my wall, but just another thought.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Manual

Check the manual, Maybe it has a troubleshooting section. I would check the stator.

How much work is it to pull the valve cover? Check the cam timing and valve clearances quickly. I know it is only like 4 bolts.

Did you Ever do a leak down test?

Should be able to check resistance on most electrical parts with the a multimeter and the shop manual.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Codes?

Ok I took a second to check the shop manual, There is a info in there on testing the cdi, coils, stator, and voltage reg. That is where I would start. Elminate possibilities. You know this is most likely preturbo problems. Are you getting any codes flashing on your speedo?

Premium Features