• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

simmons skis

J

jeffd

Mar 5, 2008
is any one useing simmons skis on there 09 dragon or on 08 /09 rmks and if so how do they compair to the stock skis hows the ride differance

B
Apr 2, 2009
Mt. Vernon,Wa.
I've ridden Simmons Gen 1 since new on my 07 D7 so I can't compare to the Sidehillers,but I have no complaints about them.They track flawlessly and float incredible.They do steer a little hard at real slow speeds but that dont bother me.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Simmons are hands down a better ski than stock in all catagories. The gripper combined with the back arse camber of the Poo needs help. The Simmons does lay a little on the flat side and with the whimmpy rubbers do have some Ski Slap that you will here and even feel at times.

Without going into details (Skis are like oil threads..a lot of personal preference) you will not be dissapointed with the performance of the Simmons. Will you get your 350,00 out of them..well only you can be the judge on that one. Watch the carbides if you get simmons. The leading edge wears out fast and then the plastic comes into contact with the surface sooner. Carbide replacement is twice as expensive.

Now with a Bergstron Skegs wearbar that puts the carbide in a more effective position the Gripper can run OK. I still would prefer the Simmons. Use the Simmons..Keep the Grippers new and put them on the sled if you sell it. Just dont get the Simmons in a Brand specific color like I did once ..something about Black and yellow didnt go with the Polaris red.

Good luck and enjoy your sled!

J

jeffd

Mar 5, 2008
will simmons skie that were on a 01 550 polaris fit on an 09 dragon 800 with out any changes

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
will simmons skie that were on a 01 550 polaris fit on an 09 dragon 800 with out any changes

I'm pretty sure that from 06 on Polaris spindles are different (all the new ones have IQ spindles don't they?). I'm pretty sure you'd have to replace the rubber saddles with ones that will work properly on an 09.

I bought a used pair simmons original flex skis last season that had been used on a 07 to use on an older sled. I fabricated some saddles from an old pair from stock steel skis and they work great.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I've run the Simmons since 2004 on 3 different sleds bought a new pair in 07 for the 727 and she asked if I wanted totry the gen II (fat boy) I didn't realize what they were so ordered them and actually had to put a blanket on them to keep the guys from laughing me off the mountain, now they all have the gen II's. As stated they are a bit harder to turn but man what a hugh difference in snow, I love em

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I've run the Simmons since 2004 on 3 different sleds bought a new pair in 07 for the 727 and she asked if I wanted totry the gen II (fat boy) I didn't realize what they were so ordered them and actually had to put a blanket on them to keep the guys from laughing me off the mountain, now they all have the gen II's. As stated they are a bit harder to turn but man what a hugh difference in snow, I love em

Hey RMK727,

That's good to hear.

I also have a set of Simmons, bought them in 2004 +/- as well, put them on my 2002 EDGE-X 800 and loved 'em.

Traded the sled in and kept the skis, never got around to trying them on my 2007 D7, heard a few guys complaining last year or 2 about the "hard" steering, maybe I'll give them a try.

How do you tell the difference between the gen I , gen 2 Simmons??

Thanks

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Kraven; watch any Thunderstuck video ( 8 sucks) the sleds with those big boards out front are the gen II's, damb ugly but boy I sure like em in the deep pow and side hilling, you just have to grind a little on your old ones in the rubber to get em to fit I/Q

B
Dec 21, 2007
Simmons

I took the Gen II off my edge and put them on my Dragon. They will fit you just have to squeese them in the saddles. I loved the skis on my edge but hated them on my Dragon. Way to hard to turn and sidehill. Its wierd on my edge they actually helped sidehilling. On the Dragon they made it hard to tip on its side. Especially in spring contiions. I am thinking about Gen I model because I hate how the Stock Skis dart on the trail. The others are just too wide and the keel is really deep and bites in. I let played with my suspension to try and get the weight off the skis. I live in the town where they are made and Verlon Simmons even told me they might be to aggressive for the new Polaris Chassis. Loved them on the edge hated them on the Dragon

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I took the Gen II off my edge and put them on my Dragon. They will fit you just have to squeese them in the saddles. I loved the skis on my edge but hated them on my Dragon. Way to hard to turn and sidehill. Its wierd on my edge they actually helped sidehilling. On the Dragon they made it hard to tip on its side. Especially in spring contiions. I am thinking about Gen I model because I hate how the Stock Skis dart on the trail. The others are just too wide and the keel is really deep and bites in. I let played with my suspension to try and get the weight off the skis. I live in the town where they are made and Verlon Simmons even told me they might be to aggressive for the new Polaris Chassis. Loved them on the edge hated them on the Dragon

We have 4 of us here that ride together and we all have Dragons. Two 08 800's, one 700, and one 09 8..all of us have went to Simmons for obvious reasons. All of us have been riding for more than ten years. If you are standing on the side you only have to bump the throttle as you put some pressure on the the back foot..she goes on its side instantly..not sure what you meant. I can control a sidehill better on the simmons..can hol it all day long across a sidehill on one ski..with the Grippers it was frustrating. When I first got the IQ chassis from a REV platform I was frustrated to say the least...When I put the Simmons on it made a lot of that frustration go away..it was that noticable. IF you are already used to the stock skis and the platform it may not be as dramatic a change. One can get used to anything and sometimes a change doesnt show as much improvment then.

I rode the crap out of spring two years ago thru June..last year into May. no problems in spring heavy snow. I have two sleds and switch to the backup from time to time with the stock grippers.. no comparison IMHO
I only wish Simmons would put more of a kick on the tail of the ski to aid in reverse.

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2007
Simmons

All I know is I hated them on my sled. Verlon the inventor even said most dont like them on the new polaris chassis. I like the sled to feel nimble and quick and I felt like I was driving a boat with them on. Also they were just to hard to steer in the spring snow I would come home exhausted. They are so wide its like adding a widening kit to the front end and I hate that feeling. The grippers with the center keep was is just so much easer to tip the sled up on the edge.

Just my opinion. I have been running Simmons for at least 10 years but I did not like them on the Dragon.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Kraven; watch any Thunderstuck video ( 8 sucks) the sleds with those big boards out front are the gen II's, damb ugly but boy I sure like em in the deep pow and side hilling, you just have to grind a little on your old ones in the rubber to get em to fit I/Q

It turns out I have the Gen 1's,(approx 6" wide) purchased them December 2003, I was told that the Gen 2's are 10 1/2" wide, I didn't measure my skis but I know they're not that wide.

Last edited:
R
Jun 26, 2021
Sudbury
I've been looking into some Simmons gen2s for my 01 500 rmk that I swapped out to a 144x15x2. but I'm not sure,Right now I have some stock skis off a 2000 700 xc. I'm a bit on the fence there's some stuff about they ware out on the leading edge. If I'm gonna pay close to 500 bucks I just wanted to make sure this isn't a big problem.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
im not familiar with gen 2s but if those are the wide ones that will be overkill on an 01. simmons originals are great for trails and old school mountain riding. might be easier on worn out old suspension too.
If youre trying to sidehill it easily, stick with polaris skis.

Premium Features