• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DUI on Private Property

T
Jan 10, 2008
Just a FYI for those of you in California...not sure if it applies in other states. Some of you may already be aware of this but Saturday I had a first hand experience with it.

I was riding my quad at a friends ranch in Calaveras County and had a little accident.......long story short took a ambulance ride to the hospital and all of a suden while in the emergency room I hear a CHP officer tell me, "I overheard you tell the nurse you had two beers." Well yea at this point I'm not goin ta lie....so I say yea, I had two beers. He proceeded to enlighten me on how the law covers driving under the influence even on "private property" Basically he did the watch the finger with your eyes without moving your head test. Then he said because you can not obviously walk to test you I am going to have you blow in my little machine......well I told him I have broke ribs and will do the best I can. I blew clean but he advised me to tell my friend with the property that it applies to everyone even if it is on private property.

Just thought I would pass that on as it was news to me.:beer;:beer;

Tabasco

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
That is really lame, the only reason you can get a DUI on Private Property is so the state can raise a little more money. I am sure you weren't hurting anything besides yourself. Hope you feel better soon.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Sorry to hear this invasion of privacy.

Wow you really had a bad time at the hospital.

I was in the hospital a couple years back and the CHP was giving DUI's to an old couple for wrecking the car in the garage.

Under the Obamma , Peolsi , Feinstein , Boxer Regime they will take all your organs if you get into an accident on a fossil fueled recreational vehicle.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Its sad that in all the bigger more important crap going on that they have to try and give you a PAZ test on a gurney. Just goes to show its all about money! Why dont they take blood? You would think it would probably be easier! They tried to do this to my dad a few years ago (not on private property though) He had 20 broken ribs, a busted shoulder, and 6 breaks in his arms!!!!!!!!!!!! And yet they tried (gee big surprise... unsucsessful though) with the PAZ and after all the crap he already had to deal with like staying alive, they tried to charge him with a DUI, which they were unsucsessful at that as well!

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Hope you are OK from the little incident. That little ruling and enforcement issue seems to be a bit of a stretch. The fact that he overheard you tell a nurse that you had 2 beers is a violation of HIPPA. He cannot unless a formal complaint has been filed about you and your behavior do that DUI screen. It is a simple rule called patient confidentiality. If the Physician called them in that is another story. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Believe it or not, I have known farmers in Mn to get dwi's for working their own fields on a tractor! I have heard it for riding lawn mowers as well. Here in Ak there was a guy that got a dwi on a horse, but that was on public land. :beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
Sorry to hear about your accident hope ya heal up quick. so let me get this straight you can get a DUI on private property of someone else's or your own? I cant see the logic in that your property is yours they cant legaly come onto it to site you without your permission can they? Isn't that trespassing? :confused:

HiMark Racing

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Lincoln
Tobasco, another new law (in California) on the books says you are no longer allowed to carry Alcohol on quads, snowmobile's, etc. :beer;:beer;

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hope you are OK from the little incident. That little ruling and enforcement issue seems to be a bit of a stretch. The fact that he overheard you tell a nurse that you had 2 beers is a violation of HIPPA. He cannot unless a formal complaint has been filed about you and your behavior do that DUI screen. It is a simple rule called patient confidentiality. If the Physician called them in that is another story. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

What does HIPPA mean?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Doctor/patient confidentiality...He was talking to his doc/nurse, that was (should) have been a private conversation! Not sure exactly what the accronym is short for.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
Ultrarider... The horse DUI?? I tend to belive your stirring the pot.. It has to be a motorized vehicle..

Unless the horse had a horse trailer under it I call B.S.:beer;:beer;

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
HIPPA has been around for several years now and prevents a medical professional from giving out or discussing your case without the patient's permission/consent. I know there are a few, very few, exceptions, but don't know how this particular case would would fall into that category. If they were d_cks to you, you may want to make a stink about it. Non-the-less, sounds like chicken sh_t to me!!! Hope you get better soon T.

B
Tabasco,

Glad to see your ok and made it one more time! After reading Kathy's post on West coast sledders, Is she alright?

Now you would think the Sheriff's offiice would be doing the investigation, since this was on private property. I know from past experience that once you go to the hospital CHP will do a full blown investigation. They are keeping stats on all ATV accidents.

Make you feel like a criminal for riding the damn things.

Premium Features