• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 rmk secondary clutch

Nov 26, 2007
Boise, Idaho
can anyone tell me some pros and cons on a team secondary clutch on a 2001 rmk 700? trying to decide whether to invest in one or spend that money some where eles on my sled
thanks for the help.

Best mod around. All of my buddies and I (even the back up sleds) all run a Team clutch. The clutches hold peak RPM WAY better than stock and don't run as hot. The backshifting is a WAY faster response than stock and you don't have parts that wear out like on a stocker. Worth every penny.

For a performance benefit, you can see several lengths on a hill with a Team versus a stocker... You can have HUGE hp but if you don't get it to the track, what is the point? We had a guy with a 700 Doo 151" that couldn't keep up to the 800 151" in our group and once he put the Team on was keeping up and in most cases beating the 800s. Very impressive!

PS I may have a deal that could save you some $$$ on a Team Clutch with less than 250 miles on it... bolt on and go!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Well, I differ completely from Alberta Boy.

If I didn't need a TEAM clutch to have reverse I wouldn't run one. They generate more heat than the button clutch and replacement parts are more expensive as long as TEAM decides to keep making them. If you want to try other setup the helixes are $30 more than even the most expensive button helix.

You can make a button clutch perform just as well as the TEAM in both upshift and backshift and over the course of the day with the less belt heat the button clutched sled will perform better.

Spend your money other places. Several of us put TEAM clutches on our '02 800s when the '03s came out with them stock. Everyone who didn't put on the reverse kit went back to the button clutches after just a few rides.

Now you have 2 opinions, one for and one against. Don't know who to tell you to believe... except you ought to believe me. :)

sled_guy

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Unless you're adding engine reverse don't bother.

I think it is possible to get a team to run as well as a button, BUT you have to really know what your doing with them and it's gonna cost you more $$ in experimentation to get it there.

Right now you can buy a box full of helix's for the button clutch for the price of one or two team helix's.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Well, I differ completely from Alberta Boy.

If I didn't need a TEAM clutch to have reverse I wouldn't run one. They generate more heat than the button clutch and replacement parts are more expensive as long as TEAM decides to keep making them. If you want to try other setup the helixes are $30 more than even the most expensive button helix.

You can make a button clutch perform just as well as the TEAM in both upshift and backshift and over the course of the day with the less belt heat the button clutched sled will perform better.

Spend your money other places. Several of us put TEAM clutches on our '02 800s when the '03s came out with them stock. Everyone who didn't put on the reverse kit went back to the button clutches after just a few rides.

Now you have 2 opinions, one for and one against. Don't know who to tell you to believe... except you ought to believe me. :)

sled_guy

x2, we've had quite a few guys in our group dump the team and go back to the button. we could never get the clutching worth a crap with the team. the button is alot easier to get tuned and theres already lots of good proven setups out there.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
button all the way, and for all the same reasons. I just took the team off my iqr and put the button on it, not running reverse anyway so why would I want the headache and higher cost of parts. btw, if you haven't tried it yet, run the r-8 helix in your button (I can't remember what came with the 700)

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
I never disliked the Poo button secondary, but I spent countless hours working on both and I prefer the Team. I did my testing using Digitron guages including Jackshaft sensor and would graph the data using their software. I am suprised by some of the responses here, I have never been dissapointed by a Team secondary. Ive had 3 of them on 3 different sleds over 7 years and found them to be more consistent with less heat. To me its analog vs. digital. It may not be the best place to put a few hundered bucks, but I would love to put one on my M1000. My .02

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Team

I thought the team was the was to go until I put the XCR motor in my RMK chassis. I messed with that thing a full season trying to get the run RPMs. I finally gave up and stuck the button back on one day and the Rs where right there. Team made lots more heat.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
team backshifts quicker, upshifts quicker if it needs to. it also has more rpm heading down the trail cruising.

button runs cooler.

on a buzzy motor like a polaris 660 a team is mandatory. on a bb 800 the button can be made to work really well or even better for the average rider.

for a helix and setup on either, call carl's and get the helix and spring setup and be done.

if you go cat, then you get the worst of all worlds. you get to figure out a helix and spring combo from scratch, AND you get to figure what weights to run as the cat weights don't run well in the polaris clutch without machining, and the polaris weights don't like the cat helixes without custom ordering helixes.

N
Nov 12, 2008
Utah
I had a 01 700, and i put a clutch kit in the stock clutch and i also tryed the team clutch. the first setup was a 46/32 kelix with a storm blue spring in the secondary, the primary i had 60g lighting weights with a alomond red spring. It ran damn good, the difference from the team was better backshift, more responsive out of the hole and held rpms better in deep snow or climbing. another thing I liked about the team was that it had 2 different helixs in one and you could change the helix right on the moutain, worked really good when you changed altitudes

Premium Features