• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat+Power Claw???

J
Nov 26, 2007
Is anyone going to try this set-up, sure would be worth trying I would think.... Any ideas here. Just a driver switch and what else for this to happen.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am doing it. But I am changind to extrovert drivers. Just triming the little rubber tips in the center of each window, on the outside, so the extro drivers dont hit them. Besides that it will go right in.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I'm doing it.....and I think I just found out that I have more work to do than I thought.

Rixter - What again (and why) are you trimming? I already have the track installed, but have not put the skid back under it.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Unless you are running the NEW cat drivers that only have lugs on the inside instead of he inside and outside, or your stock king drivers. Then there are little rubber tips on the out side of the windows to keep the track on the rails. They are like the big lugs that your drivers grab ahold of but little. And instead of being on each side (front and back) of the windows, there is one right in the middle of the windows also. When i get home I will get a pick and post it. Cats new drivers have the extros and inside lug drivers. Cats old (king style) drivers have inside AND outside lug drivers, plus extros if you have a 05 or newer king.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
so I have an 04 KK and it has 4 drivers. The two center drivers drive on both sides of the driver. On the outside drivers, they only drive on the inside. However, that is right in the path of the "extra" nub. So I don't have the skid under it so I can't pull the track tight and play with it to make 100% sure, but I have pulled it tight and rolled those drivers and it looks like that extra nub meshes right in. I could not imagine that working because the extra nub cuts the pitch in half. But it does seem to mesh up.

I know this, looking at it, I don't see any reason to keep the outside drivers. On this powerclaw track, only the center nubs look big enough to drive off.

I'll get my camera out and show you what I am seeing.

--Chris

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Take a look guys...I can't pull it tight and snap a pick but I did the best I could. It looks to me like they will mesh just fine.

kkdrvpctrackmnub.jpg

What do you guys think?

--Chris

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Hey Chris, I think your set up might just work ok. The only problem I see is that maybe you wont have enough drive lugs that the drivers contact to keep your track from racheting. You are only grabing one set (the inside) of lugs with each of your inside drivers. With the stock track you are grabbing two sets with BOTH inside drivers and one set with EACH of you outside drivers. Thats 6 total, now you have 4 total. I can see why you were confused by what I was saying, it wasnt 100% right. They only reason you need to trim that nipple that is in the middle of every window is IF you are running EXTROVERT drivers. The 05 and 06 king came with EXTROS stock. The 04 didnt. I changed my 04's to extros because I had trouble with my tracks racheting. If you run your track really tight you might be ok. If you do have some track racheting problems then you can go to extros later in the year.

Here is a pic of the stock track setup.
pic057.jpg

And this is the powderclaw setup (pointing at the lugs that need to be cut when you are running extrovert drivers)
pic058.jpg

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I know this, looking at it, I don't see any reason to keep the outside drivers. On this powerclaw track, only the center nubs look big enough to drive off.

--Chris

Yeah, the little outside nubs or lugs or whatever the h*11 they are called are there to keep the track ON you rails where it belongs.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
You know what, after looking at your (chris) pic again I think your are ok, its looks like it will work. I would REALLY like to see where you inside drivers are hitting the lugs. Are your inside drivers tight up against the lugs they will be pushing on to driver you track? If they are, and you outside drivers still clear the little nubs, then AWSOME. There just might be enough room in there for those drivers to fit Inbetween the little outside lugs without any trouble at all.

I guess the only reason I am having to trim mine is because the Extroverts fit on the drive shaft at a different location and they DO come down right on top of that little lug.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Hey Rick, thanks for the replies. This is working out great for me. I was considering going to the stock 05 extros because of the lack of drive lugs in the track. But typically when you go to extros, you have to trim rails, set the suspension back, install an anti stab kit etc etc.

What did you do when you installed your extros?

Thanks,
Chris

PS your intake screens went in the mail last night

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I have the 8 t extros (whall bros) and had to trim the little nub off on the outside due to it hitting the drive arm on the extro. didn't have to set the skid back but did have to trim the rails and add the stab kit. i have to run the track a little tighter than i like but i think the 2 wheel kit had some part of this.

S
Nov 29, 2007
You guys seem to have this all worked out. If I want to install a Power Claw on my '05 King Cat with Extrovert drivers what trimming if any would I have to do? Has anyone rode with the Power Claw yet? Is it better than the Challenger Extreme? Thanks, Scott - Layton, UT

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Scott,
If you look at the pics in my previous post, you can see the "extra" smaller lugs circled in deep red. they are located on the outer edge of the tracks and run down both sides of your rails....thats actually what they are for....to keep your track from getting too far out of alignment if you are way mis-adjusted. They will hit the rail and stop it from walking any further over.

So the ones you will have to cut are centered in the middle of each window. Take a close look at my pic and you will see what I mean. Another way to tell which ones we are talking about are the ones that are not "timed" with the drive lugs in the center of the track.

--Chris

P
Dec 1, 2007
utah
i just ordered the power claw for my 04 mcat and was wondering what are the best drivers to use. i wanted to go with the wahl bros 8 tooth but not sure if i want to trim a brand new track. will cutting into this track weaked it at all or do you guys think it will be ok.

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
maybe i'm missunderstanding but

i really don't see why you would have to cut anything off .If the drivers don't hit the nubs on my old track which are larger how are they gonna hit these?makes no sense, the factory involute/exvolute drivers drive off of these and the track window as well, if one of these is smaller i can't see what the issue would be.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
i totally see now

i went out to the shop and had a look, sometimes i'm a little slow to get things l.o.l, totally see that every center one will be in the way, is it going to cause any issue by cutting these off?
will it void any track warranty?

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
cut mine off an older challenger with no problems. just use a set of pliers and a razor and if the track is out you can have it done in about 20. or one:beer;

P
Dec 1, 2007
utah
what do you guys think about getting the stock 2005 kk drivers and just trimming the drive nobs off the outside drive sprockets instead of trimming the track

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
On that 04 you can just throw it on. No driver change required. Well, I guess that has yet to be tested.....I may have to go to extros to keep it from ratcheting but I won't know until we get some snow. For now I ran it around in the field and everything looks good. The extra little nub was not an issue on the 04 KK with stock drivers.

Cheers!
-Chris

Premium Features