• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A word of advice

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
To all of you young guns posting pictures and ride reports :( You might want to think twice about what you are posting. Chugach National Forrest does not open to snomachine travel until 12/1. It is a fact that greenies, forrest rangers, etc. check out this forum on a regular basis. Posting ride reports about early season and/or closed areas is not doing any of us any favors in reguard to our land use rights.

I am not suggesting that you do not ride early season, but at least keep it on the down low and dont post pictures.

I expect to get flamed for this post, so be it. We as motor heads have already lost a good deal of riding area on the Kenai due to closures and time share. We WILL lose more with this type of behavior. Delete the post and if you must ride, ride stealth. Better yet, ride legal. Check the opening dates and maps.

Keep in mind that all of you young guys are the future of the sport. Think about it, will you have large areas to ride in 20 years from now?

Flame on, MTNSLD

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
No flame from me! As a matter of fact here is some rep for you. We all love to ride...that is a given. But it only takes a handful of pirates to get it shut down for all of us. Except for them because they will still ride anyway. This is a big state and there are alot of places to ride legally...let's try to keep it that way.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
more rep from me...I ride legal..I want my kids and their kids to enjoy this sport we all love so much...........

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
palmer creek is legal. when u get to the trail head it says open to snowmachine use year round. its not considered part of the chugach. my friends dad is the forest ranger and those are his words

Palmer Creek not open to riding yet

F.Y.I.

We do read these forums. You are right Palmer creek is not open to riding yet. The Chugach National Forest doesn't open until December 1st, if we have adequate snow cover. The last several years the snowmobile opening has not been until after xmas day. Seems like we have been getting a warm spell with rain about mid to late November the last several years.

Please call and find out first. Check our web site or call one of our offices. We have Ranger district offices in Seward and Girdwood.

I understand everyones ready to get out and ride but please wait until it is legal. You don't want to give the non motorized folks any more ammo to try and close more areas.

Thanks have a safe season. See you out on the trails.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
FS_Ranger, thanks for stepping and setting the record straight! We like to try to keep it legal...atleast most of us do.:)

Last edited:
R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
thanks for setting us straight. you should probably take the sign down at the palmer creek road trailhead that says "open to snowmachines on the road only" though because that is very misleading. I also called the forest service and was told that palmer creek road is open to snowmachines as long as you stay on the road.... it sucks getting a fine when the people and the sign lied about it being open..........................................

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Yeah, plenty of concerned folks out there. Lotsa young riders out there that need to learn from those that learned before you.

A

ak1000m

Nov 27, 2007
soldotna,alaska
Whats open and where to look?

State of alaska dnr , chugach national forest seward district for the peninsula. Just got back from a drive on snug harbor road and it has some wash outs bad one is 1.8 miles past the normal snowmobile parking area, park ranger was marking the road. Hope they can get it fixed .there was only acouple inches of snow at that point. Does any one know the plans for the area 1/2 mile past the parking area that they clear cut this spring,heard it might be new parking ?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
That is what I had heard as well. Finally getting a real parking lot up snug...only I thought it was supposed to be completed for this season. Sure would be nice. I hate getting up there and trying to turn around a 4place behind my crewcab when some idots parks in front of the powerplants gate! (hint hint);)

Premium Features