• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clueless

B
Oct 3, 2008
I need some serious help here. I'm new to snowmobiling, so new in fact i've never even sat on one. I moved to Seeley Lake a little over 2 yrs ago. 55 yrs old and recently retired. I would have bought a sled last year but I was undergoing 2nd hip replacement in the last 3 yrs so I put it off until I could at least walk. Bought a kawi BF750 this summer and although I still kinda hobble up to it, once on it, it's get out of my way, not ready for assisted living just yet. Don't want stay holed up in the house another winter. After extensive research I thought I picked a good sled for a first time rider, an arctic cat z1 (heated seat was a major factor). I called the AC dealer in Missoula about a purchase and he said "one, doesn't have any, isn't going to get any, z1 poor choice for seeley lk, and that I would need to get some kind of mountain sled." I'm only looking at trail riding, not a kid anymore. Sled comfort is more important than speed, hopefully a 4 stroke. Is this guy right? Can anyone familar with seeley lake trails point me in the right direction on a sled choice? Thanks

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
If you are really only going to ride trails then the Z1 is a great sled for you. Lost of creature comforts, and great rider position adjustibility, and a smooth ride from what I have heard. However, it is going to be a heavy sled that will be damn near useless off trail.

You may want to look into a crossover sled, to gain some off trail ability, while still remaining an enjoyable trail ride. I just have an inkling feeling that you are going to have a hard time resisting the powder.

There are some other forums more dedicated to trail riding. I do not know the rules here regarding posting about other snowmobile forums, so PM me if you want me to point you in the right direction.

H
Dec 2, 2007
Orlando
I don't no much about trail sleds but I keep my sleds in Seeley and it's the only place I ride. I would go talk to the guys at Kurts and get thier thoughts on what sled would be best for you , they know that area better like the back of thier hand and will steer you in the right direction.

We only use the trails to get to deep snow which last year was not hard to find , but there are some great trails all over Seeley. You'll certainly have a blast no matter what you are riding.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Remember also that you say just "ride trails" but we have been getting good snow lately and even while you are just trail riding you can be in some pretty good powder.....do not limit your self to much:)

B
Oct 3, 2008
Thanks for the help. Would a crossover style sled be the better choice? If so, any suggestions? AC crossfire, Yamaha apex ltx gt,...thanks again

S
Nov 27, 2007
WI
Hey Clueless; I'm not familiar with the Seely Lk area but I admire your ambition to get out there. Congrats and best of luck. Enjoy the trails!!

U
Apr 15, 2008
Coaldale, AB
I don't no much about trail sleds but I keep my sleds in Seeley and it's the only place I ride. I would go talk to the guys at Kurts and get thier thoughts on what sled would be best for you , they know that area better like the back of thier hand and will steer you in the right direction.

We only use the trails to get to deep snow which last year was not hard to find , but there are some great trails all over Seeley. You'll certainly have a blast no matter what you are riding.

I agree with Headed, talk to Kurt or Jim. With those two you'll be able to get the sled that will suit you best. A Switchback would probally do just fine,as when the snow dumps there you will need the extra track to make it through the fresh pow, as well as easier on the back for making the trip to Trixie's or Kozie Korner.

B
Oct 3, 2008
Thank you all for the input. I'm going to drop by Kurt's tue or wed like you suggested. I read in the Snowtech magazine that Polaris will put a 1.5" track on a 136" switchback, or install a lower lug 1.5" track on a 144 RMK to give riders a 50/50 on-off trail option. I went to the AC and Yamaha dealers in missoula sat. and the only inventory were mountain sleds, holy toledo those things are big, I see a 3rd hip surgery in the future trying to muscle that 608lb apex mtx, nice sled though, 5 yrs ago I would said "ring it up", no fun getting old. Hopefully Kurt can fix me up, thanks again to all those trying to help this dummy out.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
ride up there often and a trail sled would be fine down low but forget about going up very high in the hills. the trails up high don't see a groomer very often and you can see 1+ feet of snow over night that will gobble up a trail sled killing the fun factor. Get a sled with the plushest ride with at least a 1.5" paddles and 136"+ track with lots of idler wheels. Throw in a high windshield,reverse, electric start, a shovel and good riding gear. Bonus is polaris shop local.

H
Dec 2, 2007
Orlando
Tell Kurt Roxie (my wife) said Hi...they get a kick out of us crazy floridians and our southern riding style as they call it.
There are plenty of people way older than you that ride , hell I'm not that far off myself, my friend I ride with up there is about your age with a previously broken hip that still acts up on him.
Just keep in mind ,the longer the sled the bumpier the ride on the trails depending on your speed .and the trails can get pretty brutal depending on the groomer schedule and the traffic, I could have used about 4 kidney belts serveral times headed to Kozies last year..That's a tough decision smooth ride vs. going where you might want without getting stuck all the time, which can be quite a bummer and workout.
I might discuss a 144" RMK and different suspension options if there are any that might take make it more forgiving on the trails and that would also be approx 140 lbs lighter than 608lbs

If there was any snow now I'd let you try one of mine.
Let us know what you come up with

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Kurt is one of the best dealers in the state...they have been buying up the other Polaris dealers, will treat you well before and after the sale!!!

Dont forget, that you can buy an aftermarket seat with a heater in it...I think Boss makes one...

Additionally since I ride occassionaly wiht a guy with double replacement hips...that you can get electric start on most crossover sleds...However, our guy cannot stick to trails and has to play in the pow, so would suggest getting a taller lug track...

B
Oct 3, 2008
Thanks for the insight MTdream. I'm encouraged to learn so many riders have had good experiences with Kurt's Polaris, going there tomorrow, I'd hate to wind up with a 10-12K garage ornament. You mentioned you've been riding with a rider who has a double hip replacement and that he likes to ride in the powder, not trails. Does trail riding take the biggest toll on your body? Does riding in powder act like a cushion? When they say a sled is good for off-trail, is that synonymous with it being good for powder? The reason I'm looking for a sled for trails is that I thought trail riding would be the least challenging/abusive on the body, do I got this backwards? I've got good upper and lower body strength just stainless/ceramic hips.

U
Apr 15, 2008
Coaldale, AB
Thanks for the insight MTdream. I'm encouraged to learn so many riders have had good experiences with Kurt's Polaris, going there tomorrow, I'd hate to wind up with a 10-12K garage ornament. You mentioned you've been riding with a rider who has a double hip replacement and that he likes to ride in the powder, not trails. Does trail riding take the biggest toll on your body? Does riding in powder act like a cushion? When they say a sled is good for off-trail, is that synonymous with it being good for powder? The reason I'm looking for a sled for trails is that I thought trail riding would be the least challenging/abusive on the body, do I got this backwards? I've got good upper and lower body strength just stainless/ceramic hips.
When your in the pow, GAS is your Friend, take full advantage of that friendship!!!:D

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007

well, I think like others have said, the bigger issue is that riding trail keeps you seated most of the time...and this can be tough on people wiht hip replacements...especially if the seat (is not really good like Boss seats) or your taller and it puts your knees in your chest....So, woudl suggest you think that through for a while sitting on the sled...

Also, trail riding here is pretty much synonymous wiht bumps, as we dont have perfectly groomed trails out west...atleast not for long,if your area grooms at all...Some dont...So you may get LOTS more bumps...

but there is nothing smoother than riding in powder...but if you get stuck...you got to get it out, which might not help the hips, so talk young folk into riding with ya :)

Premium Features