• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 King Cat RPM

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I have an 05 King cat efi with a 16" wide challenger and the "Thing" can other then that it's pretty much stock. My question is what kind of RPM should I be getting out of it. Last winter in West Yellowstone, it would go to about 7100-7200. My 03 mountain cat 900 would go to about 7800 or so with the recommended weights. Should I be getting more RPM out of my King?? What is everyone running for weights in theirs in about the 7-9000' range?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Trent

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
From what I remember, when I had my 04 900 cat with only a can it ran the best at 7200-7300 rpm. When I put a pipe, mild port job and increased the air into the box it ran 7800-7900. Which was what slp recommended on their single.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
7200-7400 on a stock motor. And even though slp wants you to run at 7800-8000 with a pipe I still like to run no more than 7500-7600. Thats pretty fast for that HUGE crank and pistons to be spinning.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Alright thanks guys, I guess i'll leave it until I get a pipe. How does a Speedwerx single compare to an SLP single? Any experience???
Thanks
Trent

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
kk rpm

Mine runs good @ 7800 to 8000 on the ac tach, s.werx pipe, boyseen rad valves, rkthead 14 to 1, gutted air box w/4 inch pipe out the speedo hole. Ride 8000 feet and up and My clutching is 72g w stock tispring in pri. cuttler r/w spring 53 degree straight w/ hard rollers in the sec. center hole. Stock gearing 16 wide mav. track. Oh almost forgot Muff Pot! The best mod of all. Sometimes the rpm seems a little high. the motor makes a funny babble sound. Then I let off to 3/4 throttle for a second then full throttle. I have tried to loosen the secondary to load it some but it does not like it. 7850to 7900 it loves. 8000 and above it makes funny sounds.That it my sled anyways,who knowsmaybe my tach is off 3 to 400!!!

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Thanks for the info guys!!

mtn_extreme, have you compared slp to speedwerx? If so, what did you notice the most between the two.

scoop, are you running a control box with your pipe or did you just pull the ethanol plug??

Thanks guys
Trent

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
rpm

the first year I ran w/o a control box but left the ethonal wire pluged in. I then put a bd box on to help w/the right side bog. To lean out the mid range(6800 rpm) AC mapping dumps fuel to the motor when the valves open helping cause a bog when the pipe is burried, my thinking anyways! Then I routed the exhaust out like the 06's. Between the two no right side bog. Only in over the hood powder going down hill is a little boggy(if thats a word)!

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
ndrmk, providing ur tach is right??? Most read bout 2-300 high!!! If it is off you are low on RPMS , better check your power valves/cable adj. Mine runs 76-7800 on the cat tach with the CPI single,CpC can and pulls hard. optimum is between 73-7600 with a properly calibrated tach, SLP can calibrate it, its a good thing to have done if you are gonna mod it, 300 rpms high or low can mean alot as far as HP curves go!!:beer;:beer;

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
arcticridr, that is a good point. What is everyone running for weights?? I know alot of other things will affect what rpm it goes to also like track size, gearing etc., I guess I haven't checked my weights yet either, because the guy I bought it from said he's only had it to cooke, and I have only had it out for two trips one to cooke and one to west yellowstone. I will have to check what weights are actually in it and see.
Thanks for your help.
Trent

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
I was running the stock weights, for 6-9000ft (can't remember what that was gram wise, still in Summer mode) but I shaved 1.5 grams off each weight at the heel to get the r's to where they should be @ about 7600 U better check those valves and cables before you start messin with weights, specially not owning the sled since the beginning, otherwise you will be chasin ur tail, figure out where and what elevation you are gonna ride and go from their on weights, may need 2 sets if ur gonna ride low lands and then go to big country!! Best not to twist the big blocks really high rpms unless modded it will live longer and the extra 3-5 hp usually isn't that noticeable in most situations, lose a few lbs with a Boss seat, aftermarket can etc and you will be just as happy!!!:beer; Oh yea better change that handle 2 maybe ndkk900 !!!lol

Last edited:
P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
LOL yeah I know I better change my name, ndkk900 even sounds pretty good, I might have to do that actually. Yeah I will probably check the valves and cables and see how they are. How do you set them cables again? I had to redo the ones on my 03 last year but I have forgotten how to do them over summer.
Thanks for your help
Trent

B
Nov 26, 2007
so scoop, you never addded fuel anywhere w/ the speedwerx pipe?

i've got one, ran w/o any box and it looked real lean. picked up an attitude box this year...figured i'd need to add fuel up top for WFO pulls.

wasn't sure about the mid range. i will be running in 7-9k feet.

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
bd box

I ran no box the first year, It was on the back of my mind all the time because I thougt it was a little lean too. So I ran the throttle on and off alot when down in elevation and on cold cold days. But I had no problems. I did bust the piston between the ring lands but never burned down. Just lost compression so I took it apart and pieces fell everywhere. But it didnt even score the cyl. new pistons and away I went.

Premium Features