• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW 09 Custom Bumper ***Spy Pics***

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
NEW 09 Custom Bumper ***UPDATED PICTURES BELOW***

2009 Bumper with integrated skid Plate by CoBe Motorsports

Background: After not seeing what I liked in terms of available aftermarket bumpers, I decided to design and produce my own bumper. I also damaged two bellypans and bumpers last season on my 07 600 Turbo from minor impacts. I have an engineering degree with over 10 years of experience in race car engineering and design.

Description: Manufactured from strong, lightweight 4130 Chro-moly. Jig built and Tig welded for repeatable accuracy. Integrated replaceable skid plate with an eventual upgrade of a Carbon Fiber version. Mounts in stock locations. Standard colors will be powder coated Black, White, or Red. Custom colors will be available for additional cost and lead time. The bumper can be used on 05-08 sleds that are upgraded to 09 bodywork. Weight is comparable to a stock sled with a skid plate.

Purchasing: The bumpers will be sold through Fastrax Motorsports. The price for them is $349.99. Please, contact Curt at Fastrax for placing orders but feel free to PM me directly for any questions. Also Fastrax will be offering 09 bodywork conversion packages with the CoBe bumper for $625.00, a $113.00 savings!

The bumper will be displayed in the Fastrax booth at the Puyallup show. I am planning on having a first run of bumpers to Fastrax by the end of the month if not sooner. I will try to post pics of the final prototype this weekend.

Thanks.

-John

Fastrax info:
www.ftxmotorsports.com
253-848-0908
tricksleds@hotmail.com

Attachments

• CoBe  Bumper 1.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 999
  • CoBe Bumper 2.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • CoBe Bumper 3.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • CoBe Bumper 4.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:
R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Sawyer, yeah I was thinking the 09 TCP would be like their 08 but they went a different direction. I liked the 08 but not the cutting of the bellypan.

Flite, there are two tubes that run down the outside of the nosepan that bolt up into the lower a-arm mounts. The skid place runs over the tubes and past the a-arm mounts for added protection to the bellypan.

I will post some better detailed pics this weekend of a pre-production version.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Kinda ugly with the tubes going down and integrated plate, but that's just my honest opinion.
Guys just need to stay away from the trees and ride responsibly.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Guys just need to stay away from the trees and ride responsibly.

in order to stay away from the trees here, you would stay home.
The biggest problem isn't hitting the trees, it's hitting the tree stumps and rocks you can't see.

I

IQOUTLAW

Sep 10, 2008
Bangin!!!

I think the bumper looks bad-***! This is what you really need in order to protect the front end of your sled from those hidden rocks, stumps, etc... It also provides you with enough room to really grab on and pull on the front end.

The integrated skid plate on this bumper is there for a reason. Just like on a pre-runner skid plate/bumper set-up it is a structural skid plate that will provide your sled with excellent protection.

NICE JOB! Cant wait to get mine!

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
The prototype bumper is finished and now off to powder coat this week. I will post the final pictures once I get it back from the coaters. It installs in a matter of minutes. It is extremely strong and allows you to pick up the sled.

Attachments

• CoBe Bumper 1.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 455
  • CoBe Bumper 2.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 488
  • CoBe Bumper 3.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 378
  • CoBe Bumper 4.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
More pics

Attachments

• CoBe Bumper 5.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 5.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 451
  • CoBe Bumper 6.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 6.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 318
  • CoBe Bumper 7.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 7.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 254
  • CoBe Bumper 8.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 8.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 852
  • CoBe Bumper 9.jpg
    CoBe Bumper 9.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 288
R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Cad Pictures

Just finished getting all the parts that will be laser cut into cad. I did a couple screen shots of the 3 color options.

Attachments

• cad bumper white 1.jpg
    cad bumper white 1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 188
  • cad bumper white 2.jpg
    cad bumper white 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 226
  • cad bumper red.jpg
    cad bumper red.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 187
  • cad bumper black.jpg
    cad bumper black.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 176

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
John,

Your work blows me away!...

Plus, with all of your engineering experience in Race Car and MotoGP, I know that your bumper will stand the test of time....

All water jet cut parts and jig welded on a fixture should make this a custom fit to a "T".

Definately not your backyard-mechanic approach!

Keep us posted.

Looking forward to seeing that sled at the show!

Last edited:
C

cam-shaft

Oct 3, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Just finished getting all the parts that will be laser cut into cad. I did a couple screen shots of the 3 color options.

Wow, this looks like a very well designed bumper. So what you are saying is this will fit an 09 sled? The factory alluminum bumper on my sled looks like an after-thought.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
John,

Your work blows me away!...

Plus, with all of your engineering experience in Race Car and MotoGP, I know that your bumper will stand the test of time....

All water jet cut parts and jig welded on a fixture should make this a custom fit to a "T".

Definately not your backyard-mechanic approach!

Keep us posted.

Looking forward to seeing that sled at the show!

Thanks for the compliments Mountainhorse. Now that I got some more time I will be designing additonal industry leading custom sled parts. Concerning the manufacturing of my parts, my buddy who is building them does all the welding and fabrication for the race car/bike chassis and suspension components that withstand 200mph, 3+ Gforces, and severe environments.

Hopefully the project sled I am building with HMS and Fastrax gets your stamp of approval:D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The difference between this bumper and others for the 2009 style front end is the additional impact protection that John is building into it...

All you tree monkeys and early season riders (rocks and stumps) will appreciate the extra protection given by this design....

There are lots of choices out there now for bumpers... each one offers it's unique blend of protection and cost.....

It's nice to have choices!!:D:beer;:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Premium Features