• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Winter Motor Vehical Closure

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Have any of you read the new regulations on riding areas that will be affected by the Winter Motor Vehicle Closure that the Chugach National forest has posted? When you have time check out this link http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/news_releases/kenai_workshop/pdf-2007/kwa.pdf. I looks like they are going to alternate years, with heavy fines if you are caught in the odd year. Check it out and see what you think. Please check out my post on "Favorite riding areas" and help me keep it updated. This will help all of us stay out of areas that are closed down and help prevent more from being closed down.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
The document is difficult to understand in any case, but without the corresponding Map it's pretty useless. It is a major threat though, we snowmachiners rarely organize or participate in public forums, so the skiers get all of the say...

R
Nov 26, 2007
We went through this at about the same time last year.... If I recall correctly, the only area affected was that the Resurrection trail system out of Cooper Landing would be open to snowmachines 07/08 season, then open for greenies only 08/09 season, then snowmachines 09/10 etc...

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I have attended many for those meeting over the past several years here in Soldotna. It is hard to believe, but the forest service guys said there was a much larger turn out of sled heads here than in Anchorage!!! As a matter of fact, here, it was only sledders that attended the meetings. We fought long and hard to keep Lost Lake as we know it. We fought to keep access to Nellie Juan as they WERE going to lock us out of there completely. We were successful in getting them to give us the narrow corridor that gives us access to the back country there. They did something similar to that in the 20 mile area as well. SO PLEASE, ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE RESPECT THE CORRIDORS AND WHAT TIL YOU GET BACK TO THE PLAYGROUNDS TO PLAY!!! The skiers will only see or hear us for about an hour in the am on the way in, and an hour on the way out and they will still have powder for themselves close to the roads. They were considering seriously shutting down access to grandview and trail glacier from the moose pass end as well. This was also avioded for now as well.

As for the even, odd year thing for Ressurrection, I for one consider this a major win for Sledders and a LOSS for the skiers. Up til now the skiers of course could use the area all year, but we only had from the time of adequate snow cover which was usaully mid December, til Feb15. No riding time at all in the spring when the snow is best and it is warmer and more daylight. I would rather ride every other spring, than no spring riding at all! I hope others of you agree and see where I am coming from on this. We all need to attend these meetings when they happen. And dont show up with a chip on your shoulder or those forest service guys will tune you out. Come up with good ideas that are useful and reasonable, and those guys are all ears. Sorry guys, didn't mean to get on a soap box here and write a novel, just trying to shed a little light on how this works and share my thoughts on our wins!:beer;

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
. SO PLEASE, ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE RESPECT THE CORRIDORS AND WHAT TIL YOU GET BACK TO THE PLAYGROUNDS TO PLAY!!! The skiers will only see or hear us for about an hour in the am on the way in, and an hour on the way out and they will still have powder for themselves close to the roads. They were considering seriously shutting down access to grandview and trail glacier from the moose pass end as well. This was also avioded for now as well.

Ultrarider, you have a great point. But many of us don't know what areas to stay off on the way into some areas because they are not marked. Could some of you that ride those areas shed some light on what is the correct way to get in and out of these areas? Thanks for going to all the meetings you could make, that makes a huge difference for us. If anyone knows of other proposed meetings please post times, dates & places. Thanks.

S

SnowFlinger

Jan 9, 2008
Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Meetings?

Like Prayn4snow suggests.....If anyone knows meeting times, dates, and places please post. I think attendence may be low from Anchorage sledheads due to the lack of communication or possibly that the public anouncements of tentitive meetings are not advertised.

I want to thank ultrarider and others that have attended these meetings to help keep some of the best riding areas in the state open for us. I hope we can continue to enjoy the sport that takes us to such wonderfull and majestic playgrounds. We need to voice our concerns about not having anymore closures. I also ski, and we all have room for peace.

On another note, this winter will kick-***. I'm ready for some snow!

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
Way to fight the good fight! Thanks brother!

I have attended many for those meeting over the past several years here in Soldotna. It is hard to believe, but the forest service guys said there was a much larger turn out of sled heads here than in Anchorage!!! As a matter of fact, here, it was only sledders that attended the meetings. We fought long and hard to keep Lost Lake as we know it. We fought to keep access to Nellie Juan as they WERE going to lock us out of there completely. We were successful in getting them to give us the narrow corridor that gives us access to the back country there. They did something similar to that in the 20 mile area as well. SO PLEASE, ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE RESPECT THE CORRIDORS AND WHAT TIL YOU GET BACK TO THE PLAYGROUNDS TO PLAY!!! The skiers will only see or hear us for about an hour in the am on the way in, and an hour on the way out and they will still have powder for themselves close to the roads. They were considering seriously shutting down access to grandview and trail glacier from the moose pass end as well. This was also avioded for now as well.

As for the even, odd year thing for Ressurrection, I for one consider this a major win for Sledders and a LOSS for the skiers. Up til now the skiers of course could use the area all year, but we only had from the time of adequate snow cover which was usaully mid December, til Feb15. No riding time at all in the spring when the snow is best and it is warmer and more daylight. I would rather ride every other spring, than no spring riding at all! I hope others of you agree and see where I am coming from on this. We all need to attend these meetings when they happen. And dont show up with a chip on your shoulder or those forest service guys will tune you out. Come up with good ideas that are useful and reasonable, and those guys are all ears. Sorry guys, didn't mean to get on a soap box here and write a novel, just trying to shed a little light on how this works and share my thoughts on our wins!:beer;

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Hey thanks guys, but I was far from alone at the Soldotna meetings they had here in years past. There was generally 100-200 of us that showed up for all the meetings. The first one blew those guys away as they expected only a handful to turn out. We far exceeded the capacity of the room that they had for us. After that, they booked larger venues!!! LOL It was surprising how open those guys were to anyone with REASONABLE ideas for comprimise. Like it not, the attitude of "we've been riding there for 30 years and you can't stop me now" just does not fly with them. I do not know of any more meeting for this season, however if I do catch wind of any, I will make sure to post them on the snowest forum. Numbers really do matter and the FS guys, admit that they do get alot of letters,email ect from outside groups and that they must listen to them as well since it is the Chugach NATIONAL Forest that we are talking about. This is why it is so important to become a member of your local club which most will also sign you up for the state club as well. Taking on step farther, I encorage everyone to become members of the national blue ribbon coalition. The work on the Federal level which really helps in these kind of matters. For less than the price of a tank of gas in your sled, you can be heard and make a difference. Something to think about. I don't mean to lecture anyone here, I'm just a sled head too, but I'd like to see my kids and their kids get to ride in the great places that we now enjoy so much and often take for granted.
Tim

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
We should have a thread "stuck" just for these meetings. This way those of us who might want to go can be informed.

Just a thought.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Tims got a really good point...sometimes small victorys are still huge gains!!

But on the other side...i do notice a LOT of illegal riding in the Hatchers pass area...this only gives more leverage to the Park Rangers to keep us out, if you dont know where to ride or when you can ride there is a wealth of knowledge from people here just ask. And if you see someone doing somthing Illegal, educate them. We need to police our own to keep our riding areas.:D

Premium Features