• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

a couple of question on my 900 rmk crank

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
its a 05 900 rmk im in the process of putting compfusions mounts in and 06 pistons well when i was changing the pistons i noticed a few spots on the rods where they were darker/ purplish color. and it was at the dealer last summer getting the updates done and they found that the pto crank seal was pushed in from a blown belt, so they opened up the engine and found that one of the crank bearings looked like it ran lean on oil so they sent it off the slp to have them re bearing the crank. do you guys/gals think this is from before they redid the crank or is this something i need to worry about.
100_2533.jpg

100_2532.jpg

100_2534.jpg

100_2547.jpg

100_2539.jpg

100_2540.jpg

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
900 rods

You cannot buy just rod bearings.

rod kits are $257.00 each

and mains are about $28.00 X 6

so you have Rod kits $515.00 + Main bearings $168.00

parts $683.00 labor $200.00 minimum = $983.00

New crank is about $992.00 most dealers will give you a little break off retail.

I have new rod bearings only if you need them, chances are the rod & pin are bad ( the rod pin is built into the inner web. )

Dan

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO... you should also check the fit of the bearing in the case...

The new cranks have the stronger 33 mm pto end...

These engines require a bit of clearance checking and possibly a line-bore if the case is not good...

IMO... send it in to Dan for a full check up and blueprint...

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
i would say the con rod ends got very hot .you probably lost the temper out of the bearings now and i am surprised you did not throw a rod. ie piston starts to hit the head.
i doubt slp would fix a crank and leave these rods in looking like that.
i suspect you ran lean on oil again . I had over 5500 kms on my crank and they had not discoloration at all.Good oil ,Good warm up and i always and a little oil to the fuel.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Pin color

just a question but wouldnt the bearings show sighns of heat before the rod does?
The wrist pin bearing that is in the discolored rod looks fine.

the rod pins are colored from polaris & they are a brown color when there new.

The wrist pin bearing only rocks back and forth and very slow speed, where as the lower rod bearing is haul a$$ that far from center.

The rod colored up from alittle extra heat when it went lean, and the oil turned it that color.

Chances are if it has the exact same feel side to side that the other rod has its ok.

But remember............... You have to make the final call. IF IT FEELS LOOSER ITS JUNK.

Dan

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
thanks for all your input looks like im gona put a dial indicator on the rods and see how much slop they have compared to each other if there really close im gona run it, so hopefully they are good because in buying a house and cant afford a new crank. so that will wreck my season.

Premium Features