• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Elk Hunt. Where is everybody going?

S
I am currious to see where everybody is going to go elk hunting this year. I was reading in the paper last Sunday that there was only a 16% success rate on elk last year. I personally hunt the North Slope of the Uintas, and was wondering how the success rate was on public ground. Also any new news about the elk rutting? I was up there scouting last week, did not hear any but it was a full moon and I only stayed until dark.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I am currious to see where everybody is going to go elk hunting this year. I was reading in the paper last Sunday that there was only a 16% success rate on elk last year. I personally hunt the North Slope of the Uintas, and was wondering how the success rate was on public ground. Also any new news about the elk rutting? I was up there scouting last week, did not hear any but it was a full moon and I only stayed until dark.

Well this year it hasn't got that hot yet, but the last 8 or 9 days things of really started to heat up! They were bugging the crap out of me deer hunting this weekend. Kept getting in my way.. The late rut should result in a longer lasting rut, which would be a big plus for you on the north slope, don't expect to pull of a 310" plus bull, but if you hunt hard, you should have a chance at a raghorn or 5 point. If you pull a bull of a general utah unit you got much respect from me! about the same as if you killed a 400'' bull on a LE unit, Goodluck bud, lets see some pics. I sent you a pm with a couple spots to check out, that i have seen bulls come out of on the northslope
Here are a couple big LE bulls that utah is so famous for. Mine is on the left, my dads is on the right. One shoot on boulder, one shoot on the Manti (fairview area), both were on the Archery hunt. Might be a quite awhile before i draw again..

Boulder Bulls.jpg

Last edited:
R

RMKRAZY

Aug 5, 2001
UTAH
Area 51

I hunt a general unit and we seem to do pretty well each year. Last year was good to me. Not a huge bull, but a good general unit any bull, bull.

I made 20 lbs of jerky this past weekend from this bull! All prep for filling the freezer with another one!

07 elk pg.jpg IMAGE_010.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features