• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need opinions on 04 King Cat

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Coming off an an 2004 800 Ski Doo Renegade (136 Track). I just moved out to the mountains (UT) and am considering going with a Cat.
I've looked at some M7's and some King Cats. I found a pretty good deal (I think) on an 04 King Cat.

What are the pros and cons of this sled? Engine issues? Other issues? Anyone come from a REV to this sled or similar?

Looking for some feedback before I buy. Is the sled reliable? Good in powder and climbing?

I'm sure it has plenty of power -- being a 900 Cat.

Thanks in advance, Steve

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
The King puts you back farther than you're used to.

Most will tell you to go with a M-7, but I am still loving my King. I've had both and with a big bore in the King and a Chal Extreme track it still a hoot.
Oh the stock track is quite contraversal , as it slips too much in the powder position and hooks up too hard in the hill climb position. It is impossible to beat the powder pos. in deep powder though.

Owen

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Handlebars risers, taller seat, and a l/w can is on a to do list. After that, like Hightime said, a track is next. Then it's just how much money you wanna spend on it. I went way overboard myself. haha Good luck.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Do it. I was a bleed blue Polaris rider. Spent my childhood working in a Polaris shop. I still find myself showing loyalty to them (I like the IQ chassis better than the new M chassis). Anyway, I bought an 04 King Cat and it is hands down the best sled I have ever owned. I love the sled. Sure, the new chassis are easier on your back on the trail in, and you'll have to work a little harder in the technical stuff, but not by a huge margin.

Best Mods - by priority
1. Oles 2.5" riser or wildchild front mount post
2. Swap the gears and chain for Hyvos
3. Camo Challenger Extreme
4. Boss Seat
5. Boondocker nitrous w/ synergy regulator
6. Bog fix intake (pm me and I will send you a pic)
- Dont waste your money on the SLP intake.
7. Powder Pros
8. SLP single
9. Poly pegs and snow eliminators (this maybe should be further up the list...like number 2.5) Actually, if you get snow eliminators you would want to get them powder coated or something, maybe better off getting better boards as they are already coated).

Alright, there is the looong list. Couple of small items, trim your snow flap up to just under the writing, shut off the carb heat valve and leave it off, re-route your tank vent and run it up to the gooseneck on your handlebars and cut it off there.

Thats all I can think of for now. This sled is the hummer (H1) of snowmobiles. Your gonna love it if you are a mountain rider.

--Chris

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Love both of mine, Wouldnt trade it for anything. What part of utah are you in? I live in the provo area, Look me up this year and lets go ride.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
King cats are amazing, get it, you wont be disapointed, if you have a little body weight to throw it around, it will hang with the best of em, and with some mods, they will run with M1000's buddy has one, pipe can mesh hood, boondocker, 2 inch rise, camo extreme an that thing puts down some MARKS!!!

if he stands int the rack on the back on anything less than a 2 foot pow day it just sticks the skis in the air and climbs like i havent seen much else do.

M
Nov 28, 2007
A couple of friends own this sled. I have ridden both and they handle very well. Only knock I have is that cutting to the right in powder the sled will bog. It happens to both sleds I have ridden. Something occurs so it bogs and when you straighten out or lean less into your cut the bog will go away. This can cause issues if you are in a tricky situation. Supposedly the fix is to change the exit location of the can from the bottom of the sled to the location behind the shock (like they currently are on the M sleds), then the bog goes away. Otherwise this sled holds it own and is a riot to ride. One sled is in the process of this change occuring, but we haven't been in the snow to test it yet. If the price is right, I don't think you can go wrong.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Thanks for all the replies.
I live in Heber, Ut. Just moved out in April. Had to sell the REVs before I moved, wife said I couldn't take them with me.
THe King sounds like it is reliable and fun to ride.

Here's the million dollar question.....
My wife is about 140 lbs (though somewhat strong I'd say). Would she enjoy the sled or is it just too heavy and bulky? She has ridden a Yamaha Vector in the past without trouble.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Steve

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Oh and one more thing....

Any major differences between the 04 and the 03. Both 900 carbed.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The 03.5 is the same as the 04. the early build 03 is NOT. You dont want an early build 03, it doesnt have the drop and roll chaincase. And that is a big deal. Look for an 04 Mountaincat 900 with a 159 that is EFI. they didnt build a EFI king till 05. If you can find a 05 EFI king thats a great sled. I ahve a 04 king (carb) and a 04 mountacat (EFI). Without a doubt the efi is funner to ride. It runns perfect no matter what. my mountanicat was a 159 but I changed it to a 162 and this year am putting a powderclaw on it.
I dont know where you have been looking for sleds for sale but www.ksl.com is a great classified. And seriously look me up this winter, we come that way quite often to ride tower mountain.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
No doubt I will look you up. ksl is where I do most of my shopping. I haven't been able to find many EFI's, so maybe I'll keep looking.

What kind of mpg are you getting?

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
What about comparing it to an F7 EFI 144. No comparison?

My wife will be spending *some* time on it -- she doesn't always go riding. Sorry I'm a Doo guy and don't know much about these Cats.

But I'm sick of sleds grenading.

S
Mar 29, 2008
Sunlight Basin, WY
Mine has the forward mounted steering post, moved steering forward about 6 inches, really makes the sled handle easy in deep snow and trees, also a handlebar riser helps alot, they are big heavy sleds but as said above with the 900 in the King Cat they are a real monster, awesome sleds!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
That's what I always forget to mention. The forward mounted steering post is a definate. Easy mod, makes a big difference. Add a riser, skis and a seat and you could ride the sled for years.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
The 03's also have a little more compression then the 04, gives it a little more throttle response on the bottom and mid range.
Also the 03 is prone to tunnel cracking inside and near the foot perches about 6" toward the rear from the drivers. There is a slit about 1" long on the inside. Cracks will develop at the top of the slit after about 1000 to 2000 miles. The 04 and up doesn't have the slit.

Premium Features