• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Random question for Nevada Boys

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I have been scouting Unit 231 for deer, it is near pinoch and white rock mountain, near utah border. Anyways any of you guys know where there is a Govenors peak in that area? i need to figure out where this is before my hunt opens up, i have been down their scouting four weekends and have searched every map out there

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Makaveli Rev ,I can save you a PM. I searched every quad map I have in that area and can't find a governors peak either. I even called a local from the area who could not come up with anything either. It may be an insider nickname. There's alot of unnamed peaks south of Whiterock Peak. Check out this Ruby Mountain Buck my son drilled a few weeks ago. He's still smiling!!
2008ChrisBowkillmag.jpg

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Hey adrinaline addict i forgot to update you last fall.. Anyways, found the area finally, wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Overall the unit is pretty sweet though. Passed on probably 20-30 bucks a day including 5-6 low 180" bucks throughout the trip holding out for one of the 200"s that run around down there. Never found one though..:confused: call it bad luck, i dunno, i sure hiked my butt off.. Went home empty handed, but you and your son should for sure put in for 231, especially being a res. Thats a sweet buck with a bow!!! if i shoot that up here with a bow i would be doing backflips

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
your sons buck gets bigger everytime i look at it, those forks are DEEP, just what i like in a deer :)

What part of the rubys? We drew the early rifle 2 seasons ago, and shoot one buck, a decent 28" 5 by 4 that scored in the mid 170's. We shoot it on the east humbolts, just in between greys peak and hole in the rock peak, right on the very top (most miserable deer packout of my life, also about a foot of snow that year mad it worse!). Cool Cool Area!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Makaveli,
Sounds like you had a good hunt in 231. I'd give that area a shot but Archery Season in Nevada falls right in the middle of my busiest time of the year with work so I generally stay as close to home as I can. Chris's buck from last season was taken from the south end of the Rubies just north of the Overland Pass road a couple miles south of Sherman Creek, it was sure a Great Day!! Powder, Chris and I drew area 10 again for archery, I sure wish we could draw Area 6 or 7 again, I'm getting way to old to hunt 10 anymore. I'm happy we drew something though, it appears you weren't the only one left out. I know several who didn't even draw an archery tag. All I need to do is morph into superman by August 1, piece of cake.:eek: Here's a couple other bowkills from the last couple seasons and a cranky bighorn. If you ever draw another Area 10 tag look me up, I'm getting more comfortable with the rubies every year since that's the only place I can seem to draw.
2007Bowkill.jpg

2006Bowkill.jpg

CalendarRam15jpegs.jpg

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
As far as hunting some of those other units, have you ever thought of landowner tags? thats how i had the 231 tag last year. Its a pretty cool deal the state has that allows you to hunt all 4 seasons on the unit. I have a list of the current 2009 landowners, the number tags they recieved for the upcoming season and specified unit, and their number. If you want it i could email it to you. My dad called a few on there and the tags seam to be goin for cheap this year with the economy..

But yeah i drew the 221-223 this year, 5th choice behind 65, 81, 231, and 194-196

Oh and i got a Any Weapon Elk tag on the Roan Cliffs CWMU in utah, in the heart of the Book Cliff Range. My dad runs it, he gave it to me as my graduation gift, best gift ever! overall gonna be a crazy year, and can't wait for it to begin.

Thanks man, will do. And if you ever draw anything in utah let me know, i can provide help on most units.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Addict... that there is one familiar looking ram. Just thought i'd share this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amk-gn-NV0

Wouldnt ya know the battery ran out JUST as the other ram showed up! It was funn watching em jocky around awhile. Rocky Mtn Bighorn Foundation actually used 3 of my pics in one of their newsletters (1 as a backdrop for the Reno Banquet add) and printed the story I wrote. Will share it on here in a few days...

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Makaveli,
I know a few guys in Elko that purchase the landowner tags, it seems like the only way to get a tag for a resident. It took me seven years to draw an Area 6 rifle tag, that's when I went back to Archery. I'm not sure thats going to help much though because it looks like it may take seven more years to draw another Area 6 archery tag:mad: Thanks for the advice, I may look into landowner tags some season when I end up with no hunting opportunities.
Powder,
I followed that big ram around for a couple days two years ago and got some excellent photos myself. I wonder if he was there this past winter, I didn't take any time to look?

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
I shot that video right after the first "dusting" of snow on the peaks (this season). The broken tip on the right horn is pretty telling to me, pretty sure its the same guy. Didnt see any rams again rest of winter. Boy you guys are alot more optimistic than I am. Landowner tags going for around $8ooo.oo plus now? Kinda scary when you think about the future of hunting for our little ones. I cant even contemplate my daughter growing up without that experience after all its taught me.:)

Premium Features