• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did anyone have good luck with the BD turbo

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Well the title pretty much explains it. Did anyone have good luck with the BD turbo setup for the M7, as it came from BD. Heard of people having good luck after changing some stuff. 10-12lbs is all I'm looking for.

B
Jun 12, 2008
BONNERS FERRY ID
twisted

Well the title pretty much explains it. Did anyone have good luck with the BD turbo setup for the M7, as it came from BD. Heard of people having good luck after changing some stuff. 10-12lbs is all I'm looking for.

call Shain Stanger from twisted turbos.801-668-6344. I have an m7 with bd turbo.ran ok but had alot of tuning issues. took it to shains and he changed some parts and it runs awsome.

G
Nov 30, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
call Shain Stanger from twisted turbos.801-668-6344. I have an m7 with bd turbo.ran ok but had alot of tuning issues. took it to shains and he changed some parts and it runs awsome.

The exact same for me. Tried to run for a year as a BD kit and had nothing but troubles. Took it to shain the beginning of last year for a bunch of part changes and hardly had to tune the thing all year and it ran flawless. I would see if twisted turbos makes a kit for you M7 versus going with BD

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Does shain have his own tuning box, or does he use a PL box. Im just curious about this new ada system BD has. I guess they have an ADA capable kit for the 7. I hate to give it another year of "wait and see". Does Shain have a website?

Grabs10- did you sell your sled?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We have had good luck with the Boondockers turbo. One thing to consider is that there is always an improvement in the works. The new ADA box, which is "Air Density Advantage" with the air temp sensor plug in makes a huge difference in the tuning ease on this setup. Shain has had good luck with the pure logic box on the Boondocker turbo. If you are buying new, get the ADA system and you will be fine.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can anyone comment on the upkeep/tuning of these units? I'd love to go turbo, but I only have so much riding time at elevation.

How much tuning are we talking about going from 1000ft (where I live) to 7000-10000ft? What about once I'm there, going from 7-10k on a daily basis?

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Boondocker Turbo

Can anyone comment on the upkeep/tuning of these units? I'd love to go turbo, but I only have so much riding time at elevation.

How much tuning are we talking about going from 1000ft (where I live) to 7000-10000ft? What about once I'm there, going from 7-10k on a daily basis?

I have installed many and owned 4 personally. Very reliable never had any problems. I do remove the inter cooler on all of the ones I do personal preference.
Turbos all have maintenance that needs to be done. Reads need to be changed out about every 1000 miles and you need to make sure that you don't get any leaks and they need oil and gas. O ya lets not forget a really good grip to hang on.

look at this example.

2009 M1000 Sp 162 12000.00
Port, Pipe Can mods 3000 so you are in it =15,000.00

2009 M8 153 10,300
BD Turbo pump gas installed 5500.00 = 15500.00 30 lb lighter and will kick the 1000 but all day and its 10 X funner to ride.

This is what we found last year the m1000 guy's no matter what they did unless they put a turbo on can not keep up with the M8 turbo.

PS Tuning is a dream from Sea to 11000 ft just adjust boost.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I should be more specific.

Are there any changes that need to be made to te BD box with elevation changes? Ie: fuel maps etc?

Had a bad experience with a set of twin pipes, would like to ride instead of wrench.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Tunning

I should be more specific.

Are there any changes that need to be made to te BD box with elevation changes? Ie: fuel maps etc?

Had a bad experience with a set of twin pipes, would like to ride instead of wrench.

No map changes required once dialed in which is easier than a mod sled and then if changes are needed it is usually related to load and then it is just on top end 1 or 2 numbers and then its just a fine tuning deal. 98% of the time I never touch my box.

Example of when I would drag racing up a packed hill I could take a couple of # out of top end to go a little fast but if I do then go hit a big hill with fluff I will be to hot.

M
Aug 31, 2001
Utah
BD M7 turbo

I have no problems with mine, set it once, maybe tweak to get a little more, but it runs flawless. I have done some upgrades, GT 2871 Turbo, update to BD's new airbox. Just add fuel and check all the connections before each ride.

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Yeah, I was just wondering on starting numbers for the new BD kit (pump gas) for a M7.I was also just wondering if you have installed the new style BD kit on a M7. Basically wondering if you had any snow time with the new pump setup for a 7.

BD may have a decent kit for the M8 now but I just wonder about the M7, as I'm sure they spent most of the RD time with the 8 and not a 7 (since its "old tech.") These sleds are like computers anymore. seems like the M7's (from what i've read) were a little more finicky than the 8's

Thanks for the info

G
Nov 30, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
Does shain have his own tuning box, or does he use a PL box. Im just curious about this new ada system BD has. I guess they have an ADA capable kit for the 7. I hate to give it another year of "wait and see". Does Shain have a website?

Grabs10- did you sell your sled?

Nope still have it. A few interested inquiries in it and another potential this weekend is coming and taking a look. Hope to get rid of it soon so I can do up a 1000 for this winter. If not no biggie......Just ride it cause these turbos are a blast to ride.

BD may have a solid product. There is alot more experience on here with there newer kits and upgrades over the first year kits that came out than I have. I just had a bad experience with mine the very first year. It was all rememdied pre last season with Racinstation completely redoing my motor from top to bottom and going a different direction on the controller and fuel system. Only experience with the M7t I have is with mine which was an early kit and a few other earlier kits to come off the assembly line when this turbo craze took off on these 2 strokes. Just off of my experience, when I do another turbo it is going to be a purelogic or twisted. But it seems there is also alot of good things being said about BD latest and greatest kit from people that have tons more experience than I with the new versions there kit for the 7. And if Racinstation says there solid I believe it coming from him.

Last edited:
S

SafetyBob

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 13, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
Nope still have it. A few interested inquiries in it and another potential this weekend is coming and taking a look. Hope to get rid of it soon so I can do up a 1000 for this winter. If not no biggie......Just ride it cause these turbos are a blast to ride.

BD may have a solid product. There is alot more experience on here with there newer kits and upgrades over the first year kits that came out than I have. I just had a bad experience with mine the very first year. It was all rememdied pre last season with Racinstation completely redoing my motor from top to bottom and going a different direction on the controller and fuel system. Only experience with the M7t I have is with mine which was an early kit and a few other earlier kits to come off the assembly line when this turbo craze took off on these 2 strokes. Just off of my experience, when I do another turbo it is going to be a purelogic or twisted. But it seems there is also alot of good things being said about BD latest and greatest kit from people that have tons more experience than I with the new versions there kit for the 7. And if Racinstation says there solid I believe it coming from him.

Hey Grabs10 , i see you live in I.F, you should come by sometime and take a look around. Better yet come ride with us, we give demo rides anytime. The offer goes out to anyone interested.
Thanks Diann

G
Nov 30, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
Hey Grabs10 , i see you live in I.F, you should come by sometime and take a look around. Better yet come ride with us, we give demo rides anytime. The offer goes out to anyone interested.
Thanks Diann

May take you up on that when you got a product demo day going on to see what your new kits perform like. I drive by your guys shop every morning going to and from work so I am close to ya since I moved here a year ago.

S

SafetyBob

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 13, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
May take you up on that when you got a product demo day going on to see what your new kits perform like. I drive by your guys shop every morning going to and from work so I am close to ya since I moved here a year ago.

That would be awesome, usually we just get a bunch of people together and go, let us know when your interested and we will make it happen. :)
Thanks Diann

Premium Features