• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alaska Residency?

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
What does it take? I've read several different things on various websites that range from all I have to do is get my drivers license to I have to live in state for 2 years.

I know for the permanent fund you have to live in state for 2 years with no time out of state totaling more then 90 days without valid reason.

But, to qualify for most of the things is it one year in state or something else?

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Legislation is going through to change PFD residency requirements to 10 years. :)

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
The Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) is not a good reason to move to Alaska. I'll gaurantee you that none of us up here stay just because of the PFD...Have you checked out what it costs to live here? That "Prices may be slightly higher in Alaska" fine print you see in every advertisement, should read "Will be higher...Plus freight". But we do have the countries Hottest Governor and soon to be Vice President of the United States!!!!!!!!!

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
To be an Alaska resident you need to be in the state for 1 year, that applies to Hunting and Fishing licenses etc.. However, for the PFD you need to be in the state for an entire CALENDAR year. For example to get the PFD for 2007 you must have been a resident of Alaska from January 1st 2007 through December 31st 2007. So depending on what month you move up you could be in the state for almost 2 years before being eligible for a PFD check. Also you have to be able to prove that you actually live here, ie mortgage/rent, drivers license, register to vote, etc.. and have at least 2 Alaska residents who are willing to swear that you actually live in and intend to remain in the state. Hope that helps.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
The Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) is not a good reason to move to Alaska. I'll gaurantee you that none of us up here stay just because of the PFD...Have you checked out what it costs to live here? That "Prices may be slightly higher in Alaska" fine print you see in every advertisement, should read "Will be higher...Plus freight". But we do have the countries Hottest Governor and soon to be Vice President of the United States!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I am talkin about :beer;:D

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
To be an Alaska resident you need to be in the state for 1 year, that applies to Hunting and Fishing licenses etc.. However, for the PFD you need to be in the state for an entire CALENDAR year. For example to get the PFD for 2007 you must have been a resident of Alaska from January 1st 2007 through December 31st 2007. So depending on what month you move up you could be in the state for almost 2 years before being eligible for a PFD check. Also you have to be able to prove that you actually live here, ie mortgage/rent, drivers license, register to vote, etc.. and have at least 2 Alaska residents who are willing to swear that you actually live in and intend to remain in the state. Hope that helps.

also...if you move here..all your new snowmaching buddies get your first 4 dividends..plus you have to buy all the fuel on every trip..after the third ride you wont have to buy the food and booze too anymore...

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Supplicate,
As soon as you
1) make your domicile in Alaska, and
2) cut all legal ties with any other state (drivers license, voter registration etc.)
you become a legal resident for tax and state benefit purposes.

However, for hunting and fishing you have to be in the state 365 days to qualify for a resident license.

For the Permanent Fund Dividend you must be a resident for 365 days prior to applying. The application window is Jan 1st thru March 31st. Depending on what month you move here you could wait up to 2 1/2 years before receiving your first dividend.

Premium Features