• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boise Area Riders

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Should we start up a Friends telephone list? You know, something your spouse could call, and ask for help, in case you don't show up after riding one night.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
HELL YES.

I've got one already.

add me to yours. someone needs to collect it via PM, then distribute via PM.

Make a sublist of folks that have run multiple successful searches for lost sledders.

Typically, when someone calls a search, you need an Incident Commander. This person is in charge, but typically delegates callouts to someone who will be staying in town.

If you follow the IC system, everyone gets counted when they "join the search", and it helps a lot with communications and making sure everyone makes it home when the person is found.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Great idea Wade. My wife has a list but it is pretty short, mostly shops and the guys I ride or have ridden with. Count me in, just don't get lost or stuck near any trees. :face-icon-small-win

B
Nov 27, 2007
Yep count me in and possibly breaking it up to certain areas because a lot of us do extensive riding in one area and not in another. Just a thought since I do all of my riding in the Trinties it would be scary for me to go into McCall to help search unless I was with DRMILLER100 then it would be all good;)
And John if you got lost I would look 3 miles out of the parking lot upside down in first tree well:D

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
My plan is pretty simple. You want your name on the list, we put you there, and any info you can give us. Your riding buddies phone numbers, so we can find out where you ride, description of your sled. Hopefully, your spouse can describe your truck and which parking lot your probably in. That's a major problem right there.

We'd have people that are willing to be holders of the list. 4 or more people. Those names and numbers would be distributed. Your spouse calls at 1 am, I call around and find someone to go with me. We load up and find the truck. Call one of the other list holders and then we put the call out that we've found the truck and have started looking for them. We'll call everyone on the list, you don't have to feel obligated to show up. But, since it might be you next time, you'll probably not mind at least running the trails and stopping people and asking.

At some point the Sheriff and S&R will probably show up, and TAKE OVER. But, we'll be there to keep them honest and video tape them if it comes to it.

I see this as being very useful when you call your spouse from the hill and need help. You get mountain riders that show up and help. And your spouse has someone to call that cares. But, don't expect numerous people to show up at midnight to look for you. And, if we don't know were your parked or what your truck looks like, I don't know what we'll do other than call the Sheriff and have them check all the parking lots. I'll drive around and look, but it would take days to search every parking lot within 150 miles of Boise.

A

ARTIC CAT BUM

Dec 8, 2007
Hansen,Idaho
Sledding

I live in Southern Idaho and Sled all over, Trinities/McCall/Fairfield/Smiley Creek area all winter and ride with alot of guys from Boise area.I'd be willing to help out..

Todd

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
And John if you got lost I would look 3 miles out of the parking lot upside down in first tree well:D

Sounds good. I'll spread my gear out 60' around the sled too. That should help.

Wade, I sent you some info. Are you going to be getting this up and going? Let me know if you need any help.

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
My biggest problem with that is that there is no spouse at home to call. We both go, so there needs to be some thought there - Hm........... In our case, there really is not a calling tree in case we don't come back.....wow - we aren't very smart! :(

Maybe an active blog where we could post where we are headed, who we are with and point of first contact. I won't pretend to know how to create an active blog page, but would be willing to offer a page of my website for it.

I think you can count us in!!!

:) T

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
Fire!!! Fire!!!

Sounds good. I'll spread my gear out 60' around the sled too. That should help.

Wade, I sent you some info. Are you going to be getting this up and going? Let me know if you need any help.

Just set that puppy on fire! We'll find you - or the National Interagency Fire Center will! :) I always tell people that if i'm lost, just go to the edge of the forest fire and that's where you'll find me! :)

I
Nov 21, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Great idea. Sending you info Wade.

Tammy I know I'd like you and Alan on the list - if for no other reason but knowing that you would drag people out of bed to look for my sorry butt. :)

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Sounds good, PM me your info. Whatever you think is good for us to know.

Some good info would be ==>

Email Address:
Name:
Home Phone:
Mobile Phone:
Riding Friends, emergency contact info.
Vehicle, type color tag:
Sled:
Parking Lot(s) you ride out of most:
Do you have a radio:

I'll need some volunteers to have copies of the list. Nothing personal, but I will only give this list to people I know, or who have someone that will vouch for them, that I know. I don't want someone mad at me.

If you volunteer to hold a list, your name and number will be spread to everyone. Be prepared to accept a phone call, and call others on the list. And, get on snowest and shout out.

I really see this as helping your spouse more than you. And then doing what we can.

Disclaimer: I/We/Me/Us don't have a clue what we're doing, and not even sure if we'll answer the phone. No medical training, no search and rescue training, no equipment, no skill on a sled, no organizing ability, and not much common sense. At best we might find you, at worst we might go back to bed and leave you on the mountain. But, we'll give it our best shot (for what that's worth). Don't expect anyone to risk their lives for you, and I aint climbing down a cliff for you there's experts that do that kinda stuff. Your only real hope is that we talk Julio into looking for you. You will owe everyone that looks for you a beer, assuming anyone finds time to show up, and that we find you alive. But hey, it's free. BTW, if your phone number gets out by accident, it's because you gave it to a idiot, like me. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Last edited:
J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Disclaimer: I/We/Me/Us don't have a clue what we're doing, and not even sure if we'll answer the phone. No medical training, no search and rescue training, no equipment, no skill on a sled, no organizing ability, and not much common sense. At best we might find you, at worst we might go back to bed and leave you on the mountain. But, we'll give it our best shot (for what that's worth). Don't expect anyone to risk their lives for you, and I aint climbing down a cliff for you there's experts that do that kinda stuff. Your only real hope is that we talk Julio into looking for you. You will owe everyone that looks for you a beer, assuming anyone finds time to show up, and that we find you alive. But hey, it's free. BTW, if your phone number gets out by accident, it's because you gave it to a idiot, like me. You have no one to blame but yourself.

:D:D

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
love the disclaimer

That was well written and funny. Somebody make sure that MOCO is on the list... I'm gonna be too far away to come get his azz this year and who knows if SWIM is gonna make it back from the north-lands.

Love the idea. We kinda had the same thing going last year but a lot less official... you guys are going the right direction. Just a quick plug for a piece of tech gear or two to make it work better. I'll skip all the sales crap and preface this with "just my opinion." SPOT is something I carry (motox and sleds) and works great in our areas. The home front knows I'm good and if I did need help I can get it without calling the S&R team... just some buds who now have my grid coordinates. GPS is another carry item. If you know where you are, you can find your way out. You can also mark good and bad areas for future rides and sharing. Cell or SAT phones are good as long as the batteries hold up and signal works... go verizon! These guys have some hellaious coverage up here.

Sure you have all the other saftey gear and "stay the night" gear and other stuff... like signal devices!! but mostly you need to help your friends out and make yourself "rescueable" / " findable."

I'll get on the list when I get back or you can contact me if your over this way... SE Idaho now is the new great home. :)

cya, Hauler

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
The rescue guys have a channel they expect to search on, FRS. Does anyone know what it is?

Oh yhea, and I use SPOT also. Carried it all last year. I don't go in the mountains without it anymore.

Last edited:
Premium Features