• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

letter from tester i got in an email

Dear Mark:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your concerns about public land management legislation currently before the Senate.

We treasure our access to public lands. Public lands in Montana are large, vast places and I believe that there is enough room for timber harvest, wilderness, livestock grazing, hikers, and motorized users. The key is for Montanans to work together to find solutions that work for everyone.

It is difficult to balance all of the various demands put on our public lands for recreational uses and we need to keep in mind that while these areas are federal assets for all Americans, their management directly affects local communities. Their input into the process should carry weight. I will continue to work with local communities, conservationists, motorized users, farmers, ranchers, and timber and mining interests to see how we can reach a balance on our public lands.

I understand that similar management challenges also arise in other areas of the United States, and I will keep your views in mind as I work on public land issues in the Senate. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jon Tester
United States Senator

A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
Sen. Tester is not our friend. He will support more Wilderness and less motorized access every chance he gets. He is bought and paid for by the Sierra Club and the rest of the anti-access crowd...:mad:

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
i got the same email, only difference was that there was a sentence saying they were looking into opening land for snowmobiling, but also said they were looking into forming wilderness:mad:

F
Dec 1, 2007
NORTH BEND
here yee here yee we're gonna lock it all up.

Pretty much the same thing from our savior here in the people's republic....One thing I really hate about these things is the history lesson. I stressed saving THE LAND too, however I want my grandchildren to actually be able to enjoy it.

Dear Mr. Jenc,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding Wilderness areas. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Congress enacted the Wilderness Act in 1964. This Act created the National Wilderness Preservation System, which gave Congress the authority to designate wilderness areas. Today there are 708 wilderness areas, totaling more than 107 million acres, in 44 states. Numerous bills to designate additional areas and to expand existing ones are introduced and considered in every Congress.

The Wilderness Act defined wilderness as an area of generally undisturbed federal land, but did not establish criteria or standards to determine whether an area should be designated. In general, wilderness areas are undeveloped, and commercial activities, motorized access, and roads, structures, and facilities are generally prohibited in wilderness areas. However, in response to conflicting demands, Congress has granted both general exemptions and specific exceptions to the general standards and prohibitions.

I believe we must strive to strike an appropriate balance between conservation and recreation. To that end, in some unique areas we must think forward to generations beyond our own. We must recognize that some areas need the greatest possible usage restrictions to preserve their natural heritage for our children and grandchildren. I believe the proposed Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area is one of these unique places. In addition, to address your concerns, the proposed new addition is in low elevation and should not impact snowmobile use within the boundaries of the proposed area. Rest assured, I will continue to work to find the appropriate balance whenever Congress considers our public lands.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch with me. Your interest and input are valued and I hope to hear from you in the future regarding other matters of importance. I encourage you to visit my website and sign up for my monthly e-newsletter at http://reichert.house.gov to learn more about other issues impacting the 8th Congressional District and our nation.

Sincerely,

David G. Reichert
Member of Congress

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Why recreation is considered opposite to preservation is beyond me.... I thought the problem was sprawl....

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I heard a speech once, where different "saviors" of the environment told what they wanted to see. Mountain Bikers wanted places free of motors, horse people wanted places free of motors and bikes, hikers wanted places free of horse shet and motors and bikes, and the true environmentalist wanted a place free of people. Their idea of saving it, is making it off limits to everyone.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Don't know much about the area, but reading it the first thing they discussed was hiking and camping access points. Plenty of research to suggest the negative impact of non-motorized users on certain wildlife mainly due the length of time a non-motorized user is in the species of concern's habitat.

In respone to Wade, I have also heard a true environmentalist believes all humans negatively impact the environment.... you know the rest.

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
Sen. Tester is not our friend. He will support more Wilderness and less motorized access every chance he gets. He is bought and paid for by the Sierra Club and the rest of the anti-access crowd...:mad:

Perfect. You said it. Tester is a Liberal Demmy. A yes man, and will do what he is told to do. No good for montana.

Premium Features