• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help 2009 M8 or Summit X?

I'm upgrading from an M7 to either an 09' M8 153'' or an 09' Summit X 146''. A buddy of mine snowchecked the summit x and is now moving out of state. Been riding Arctic Cat for 6 years now and have no complaints, but I have to say I was pretty impressed with the 08' XP 146"". I spent about an hour on one last winter and had a blast, but it did feel completely foriegn. The only time I spend on the trail is from the parking lot to the backcountry so don't give a crap if the sled doesn't handle great at 50mph on hard packed mogul filled trails.

Not trying to start a bashing negative thread, so please refrain from the Arctic Cat Sucks and Skidoo Sucks, and Polaris Rules Raaahhh comments. Just looking for some helpful insight from anyone that made the switch last year to the xp or that has spent any signifigant amount of time on both the M8 and XP. Thanks!

Eddy-snowmachine031.jpg

Last edited:
I've never ridden the M8 but I definately liked everything about the M7 with the exception of the lack of power. Seemed like the 698 just wasnt enough for the 153 at times. If the M8 handles like the M7 I wouldnt hesitate becaust I could throw that sled around like no other. I put a 30 shot of Boss Noss on to make up for the lack of power but its time to move up to a bigger motor.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
How about the 153 Summit? Both great sleds, the Doo is more brutal in the power dept and lighter. Both have their strengths and downfalls, personally I feel the Doo is the superior sled asuming they have truly fixed the first year gremlins from last year.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Here's my .02 cents. I have been a ski-doo fan for 17 yr. I have owned a few summits, 2000 summit 700 high mark 151" (my favorite all around sled. I still get to ride sometimes because sold it to my brother.) that sled handles almost the same as an M7 (side-hilling, sitdown-doughnuts, through the trees.) but better on the trail and it needed more power. Next, 2006 summit 800 151" my first brand new sled awesome power, wheelies, straght-up hill climber, also great down the trail, most comfortable sled i had ever ridden.:D down side, if you didn't have at least 1-1/2 feet of new snow it side-hilled like a tank, it would find the shortest way down the hill even if that wasn't the way you wanted to go. Very-Very weak front end. Also first sled I wrecked 4 months and 750 mi. and totaled.:mad: So I demoed an 06 M7 handled awsome on sidehills and through the trees.:) Huge power differnce, no wheelies, not as good at straight-up hill climbing, really sucked on the trail (back to the truck after a hard days ride). Then I borrowed step dads 2007 RMK raw 600 155" I really liked the sled for a 600. as good as M7 for side-hilling almost as good as 06 rev 800 for wheelies, but down the trail it feels like its going to roll over (even with front springs as tight as they go) you can ride it on 1 ski down the road and around the corners for ever. oh yea and it gives one heck of a wedge:eek: So then I bought 2003 summit 800 high mark 159" good power( bad gas milage 5-6 MPG.), track trenches, not as much fun as the 2000 summit 700. So then I demoed 2008 Dragon 700 155as fun as the 600 but with more power, even more unstable on the trail with walker evens shocks, and an even bigger wedgie:eek:. So then I demoed a 2008 M8 153" it handles almost as good as a REV down the trails. But it is more fun than an M7 or my old 2000 summit 700:D I liked it so much that I have A 2009 M8 153" LE (snow camo)with Boss seat coming any day now.:D Sorry I never rode an XP,( I had the chance several tmies but was afraid of somthing breaking:() so I can't compare it to the M8. I have ridden with a few XP's lots of power for an 800, and gets good gas milage 9-10 riding hard, climbs like a goat, but thats all the nice things i can say., I'm sure you have heard all the bad things. I believe that most are true from riding with friends with XP's. I almost snow checked one, so very very glad I waited for the 09 Cat. I hope this helped.

P.S. I still like Ski-Doo just not what they have out right now.:(

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I got to ride the 09 prototype M8 at arcticman and it works great, even on bumpy trails. It was very light and nimble like the 7 your used to only lighter. Had good power and the seat of the pants fun factor was really nice. The new track had much better than anticipated down hill braking ability and seemed to work well in the POW. Only had a couple of feet so it wasn't a really good test but the total package seemed very well put together. I have always ridden cat but don't consider myself real brand loyal. The 09 M8 is one of the nicest sleds I have ever ridden and thats including my big triple mod.

D
Jan 30, 2008
ANC, AK
www.myspcace.com
I wouldn't buy a new sled. Dealers have plenty of leftover 08's. I would get a 08 and with the money saved add on performance parts. I have rode w a couple XP and they stay right up with the packet. Half is rider half is machine. I did ride my buddy's 08 M8 153, the only thing i didn't like was the longer track, i perfer 136-141. all around good sled. It was light and went where ever I pointed it. just my view.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
Here's my 2 cents, if your an aggressive and passionate rider nothing stock will satisfy! I bought a new 07 m1000 last year and dropped $4k into it just to get it right(er). The best stock sled set-up for Ak backcountry riders I've yet to see is the Pol. Assault. On paper that is. Still if I were to buy an 09 it's be a M8 153" (too bad no 141") See what I mean manufacturers never get it quite right. They think that all mt riders want a narrow front stance with flimsy POS shocks.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
my .05 cents

Here's my 2 cents, if your an aggressive and passionate rider nothing stock will satisfy! I bought a new 07 m1000 last year and dropped $4k into it just to get it right(er). The best stock sled set-up for Ak backcountry riders I've yet to see is the Pol. Assault. On paper that is. Still if I were to buy an 09 it's be a M8 153" (too bad no 141") See what I mean manufacturers never get it quite right. They think that all mt riders want a narrow front stance with flimsy POS shocks.

AMEN TOO THAT!!

it pretty much comes down to, do you wanna deal with AMDS or arctic cat.. i buy parts from both, and walkin into amds makes my wallet shrink and feet hurt from standing inline with a bunch of other people waiting to get the same parts..

go for the 09 cat.. the black 153 they got in there now looks gooooood:beer;

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
i just realized u lived in ER, theyre both pretty good dealers out there.. id still get the cat.. if not an 06 REV, i would rule the REV out.. i love my cats but the rev just holds a special place in my heart cuz when its clutched right it kicks ***

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
If it where me, I would consider a left over 08, and ride it and see what needs to be done to make it right for me. Just my $.02 if it is worth that LOL

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Coming off of Polaris I jumped to a M1000. I rode my buddies for a good day ride and was sold on the spot. Rode his brothers M8 and it was kickazz as well.

Last season I was very serious about buying a REV and rode a lot of them, was a big chassis/riding style change from what I was used to on the EDGE.

When I jumped on the M it was very natural.

My vote is M8.

But like CAT said, alot comes down to the dealer.

Good luck! :beer;

M
Jan 1, 2008
Dealers

As far as Doo dealers are concerned I will not buy anything ever again from AMDS after they lied to my face about Whittier closing early last spring. Team CC has been great to work with.

Mark

Thanks for the great feedback. This thread has definately given me the insight I was looking for.

As far as AMDS lying to your face I can't really say i'm surprised. Alot of the people that ride Whittier have it in their heads that only they should know about it and for some unknown reason they have more of a right to ride there than the next guy. I saw some guy give another guy a hard time about riding there last spring. Just being rude and giving him the tenth degree. Man was that ever a bad move. Turned out the guy was a billy bad*ss with a bad temper and he handed the guy a pretty nice Whompin and made him leave. Couldnt help but laugh at the whole thing, but I guess he had it coming. Bad Carma.

tsnowak

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
Arctic Cat doesnt have a 141 track option available on the M's for 09

An 09' crossfire is a 141' M- (needs 2.25' power claw, but has wider stance, fox zero pros, already 3 pitch drivers, the sno pro would work better than an 05/6 M 141 with the changes made in 09 and taller lug) -if you've got a dealer that will work with you. To bad not factory though.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
good luck getting a powderclaw in 141..

just throw a challenger on her.. or an A-20 if your one of the few that actually dig that track.

and that is my plan to just go through team cc form now on.. anybody know how much i could get an 07 summit seat and a clutch kit ffrom them for??

Last edited:

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
2009 m8 153

In my opinion this is not a tough decision.

Bret and i took doc zoom on a ride and he did some filming thought you might like a peak. So hear is a link. We did have an 08 m8 pump gas turbo with us it has the colored wind shield and black front bumper.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5866574880421319809&hl=en

Thank's Doc Zoom Mountain Mod Mania 6 will be hear soon

Last edited:
Premium Features