• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BOSS NOSS on a King Cat???

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I just picked up a BOSS NOSS system and am putting it on my carbed 900. Motor wise it is stock except for V-Force III reeds, RKT Head, SLP single and can.

I had a couple of questions for those of you who have or have had a BOSS NOSS setup on your 900 1M/King Cat.

1. ) Is the 30hp setup worth it or should I go at least 50hp?

2. ) If I go over 30hp is it going to drastically reduce the engine life. I know there are a million different things to consider to accurately answer this question so I guess what I am asking is can the stock motor handle a 50hp shot on occasion without any detrimental effects.

3.) Is there a preferred location for mounting the nozzles? I want to keep the airbox so I would like to hear were you guys have mounted them in the airbox. (pics would be great)

4.) Lastly, pics of your installation would be great so I can get some ideas were to mount everything. I am kind of anal when it comes to how everything looks. I know it doesn't make it go any faster when it looks pretty but it helps me sleep at night :D

5.) Also, I would like to hear any good or bad comments you have experienced with your BOSS NOSS system.

Thanks in advance

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I mounted the nozzels as close to the throttle bodies as i could, i don't have any pics. I would say give the 30hp shot a try thats what i use and it is noticable. For the nitrous box and tfi i just put the velcro with tape on to the top of my airbox and put them there.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Don't have answers to all your questions but a 50 hp shot on that motor shouldn't be a problem. I would locate your bottle close to the exaust can if you can, it will help heat the bottle and give you more consistant bottle pressure.

Here's a link to the Boss Nos thread in the General section.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61353

There's a couple of success sories in there but they are few and far between. Good luck and I hope yours works better than these guys kits did. It seems most of the issues are in the control box.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I am likely not going to lose 50lbs any time soon so I have gotta do something so I figure 1hp per-lb is a great power-to-weight ratio so I will just do a 50hp shot of NOS and call it good:D

Keep the input coming......I see a lot of horror stories out there about the BOSS NOSS. Are most of these problems with the TFI box and the lack of customer service or does the SMART BOX also have issues???

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I see a lot of horror stories out there about the BOSS NOSS.

Remember unhappy customers talk a lot more than happy customers. Just a basic marketing principal. I think the rule is something like happy customers tell 30 people and unhappy one tell at least twice that many. I'm sure there are many more success stories out there that we don't hear about. I guess its good to know where the weaknesses in the system are and maybe try to avoid dealing directly with Boss. I was unsure about Boss and I hadn't heard nearly the bad stuff about Boondockers, so I went with their setup.

Yours will probably be fine but if you start having issues or something seems to not be working quite right, the forum is always a good place to look for trouble shooting ideas.

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
I had their system on my 02 800 for 2 years and never had any issues at all. I ran 40hp jets, anything over that is not really worth i dont think. Then reliability becomes an issue. An instant 40hp will definatly wake you up if you have the traction for it. For the smart box i just ground off the tabs in the top of the airbox that held the tools in place and put the velcro there to hold it. The jets i riveted to the rubber boot on the air box as close to the carbs as posible. Worked awesome.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
BigHoe...I agree with you 100%. I catch myself listening to all of the horror stories on here and then I am afraid my sled is going to fall apart! Nobody talk about when their sled runs fine (as expected) you only hear about the nightmare when they dont. I love this forum...it is a wealth of knowledge. Some great posts and some not so good....

mezz250x...I am glad to hear yours worked well for you. I am starting to see a trend were most of the issues are with the TFI box for the EFI sleds. So it sounds like the key is to get the nozzles as close to the carb throat as possible to get the most consistant spray into the carbs. I should be able to rig something up to make it work. I was hoping someone would have pics of their installation so I could get some ideas.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I spent about an hour on the phone yesterday with Erik Vohk down at Alpine Motor Sports in Colorado (thanks for the referral Nate!). We originally were talking about just getting my shocks rebuilt, but the conversation took a turn to Nitrous systems. He assured me that the issues with the old Boondocker controllers are all but gone now (I'm not sure of the new generation controller name specifically) and that he can guarantee that my 900 EFI will run like a dream once I have the right settings in. He assured me that most problems with the controllers on EFI is due to user error and lack of tuning knowledge. I was skeptical, but this guy knows his stuff. I'm ordering a 30 shot from him and we'll see how this winter goes.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Thanks Rush....you confused me a bit when you mentioned the "old boondocker controllers".....are you talking about Boondockers NOSor BOSS NOSS? BOSS has the TFI box for the EFI sleds...If you are referring to BOSS NOSS, it is good to hear that they have made changes to there systems for the EFI's. I am running carbs so I hope to not have any issues (fingers crossed)

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Yes, we were talking about a Boondocker system. To be honest, I heard more horror stories about Boondocker and their controllers than any other company. I had a buddy of mine make me swear over a shot of whiskey that I'd never add a Boondocker box to my sled. :D

I just wanted to clear the air over their nitrous systems. Apparently some things have changed.

D
Nov 26, 2007
U will be ok for a while. I had about 2k on mine before a piston turned to powder with 30 hp jets. Its all good though, after it shells out you can build a big bore.:D

Premium Features