• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anchorage Riding

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
The wife and I were going to head to Juneau but due to more riding, hunting and other outdoor activities decided on Anchorage. I realize that most of the riding up there is powder and the long tracks seem to be king but I would like to know if there is a reasonable amount of "trails" for trail sleds. The wife has a Sabercat 500 and is more of a Sunday rider. I have a Crossfire 600 136" If we bring these up would there be some area's for us to ride? I eventually want to get into a long track but for now these may have to do if possible.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Yes, there lots and lots of areas that you can ride with your shorty's out of Ancherage area. I think you will be happier than in Juneau. Junneau is a town that you love or hate. You will want to upgrade to long track long you already know someday to really experience what Alaska has to offer a sledder, but atleast theere is riding to be had on your shorty's til you get settled in and back on your feet.
Tim

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Yes, there lots and lots of areas that you can ride with your shorty's out of Ancherage area. I think you will be happier than in Juneau. Junneau is a town that you love or hate. You will want to upgrade to long track long you already know someday to really experience what Alaska has to offer a sledder, but atleast theere is riding to be had on your shorty's til you get settled in and back on your feet.
Tim

That is good news.. I was looking at the DNR site and it looks like there are enough trails to keep the wife happy. I really look forward to mountain riding just don't want to hop in with both feet not having a clue about what I am doing. I am very hard on trails but getting killed in an avy doesn't seem to appealing to me nor does buying a long track without know what I need or want.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
That is good news.. I was looking at the DNR site and it looks like there are enough trails to keep the wife happy. I really look forward to mountain riding just don't want to hop in with both feet not having a clue about what I am doing. I am very hard on trails but getting killed in an avy doesn't seem to appealing to me nor does buying a long track without know what I need or want.

Well, just so ya know...most of our trails are not groomed....but most are in descent shape most of the time..petersville, eureka, lake louise, even hatchers pass, all have groomers that run regularly..and waiting to get a long track is the right thing to do...there is enough guys up here that will let you try their sleds that it wont be a problem figuring out what you want...

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Well, just so ya know...most of our trails are not groomed....but most are in descent shape most of the time..petersville, eureka, lake louise, even hatchers pass, all have groomers that run regularly..and waiting to get a long track is the right thing to do...there is enough guys up here that will let you try their sleds that it wont be a problem figuring out what you want...

I thought that might be a good idea to wait. Thanks for confirming that..

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Just toss a 1.75 or 2 inch track on your Crossfire 600 and it will improve its deep snow ability quite a bit. You can have a good time with that sled up here bone stock as well. There are tons of shorties and crossover sleds here, and plenty of trails too. From Anchorage youll have to drive at least an hour to get to a place to really ride. Wasilla is about an hour north and is nice because you can trail ride all over town and be in the mountains in 20 mins. Willow, about 30 mins north of Wasilla also has a pretty decent trail system. Im sure alot of us, including myself, would be happy to show you around a bit. Your sleds should run a bit nicer here at low elevation as well, should be fun for you :)

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Just toss a 1.75 or 2 inch track on your Crossfire 600 and it will improve its deep snow ability quite a bit. You can have a good time with that sled up here bone stock as well. There are tons of shorties and crossover sleds here, and plenty of trails too. From Anchorage youll have to drive at least an hour to get to a place to really ride. Wasilla is about an hour north and is nice because you can trail ride all over town and be in the mountains in 20 mins. Willow, about 30 mins north of Wasilla also has a pretty decent trail system. Im sure alot of us, including myself, would be happy to show you around a bit. Your sleds should run a bit nicer here at low elevation as well, should be fun for you :)

Now I am all fired up! I was thinking about swapping the track out before we head up. I really appreciate the offer to show us around. We have a cabin in northern PA that we go to every winter and ride. Our trails down here are pretty rough even though they are supposed to be groomed. They get beat pretty bad and turn into moguls which makes for a long days riding even with the Crossfire. Here's a pic or two.. The one is of my son after he ran the Sabercat into a drainage ditch.. LMAO! I was just ready to tell him to watch the ditch, turned around, looked behind me and watched him disappear below the snow line. :rolleyes:

100_0936.jpg 100_0913.jpg 100_0919.jpg 100_0894.jpg

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Well, we are on our way to Anchorage on October 8th. :D Should land in town around November 1st. Going to stop over in Meeker Colorado area for a Elk hunt then catch the ferry out of Bellingham on the 24th.

Hopefully the offers to show me around still stand!

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
So whos gona be the first to take him up and over Turney:face-icon-small-con:eek::D his crossfire should pull it.

:eek: "whos gona take him" does not sound like a good for thing for a cheechako.. :D and I am not sure what I think about "should pull". What happens if it "doesn't pull" :rolleyes:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
:eek: "whos gona take him" does not sound like a good for thing for a cheechako.. :D and I am not sure what I think about "should pull". What happens if it "doesn't pull" :rolleyes:

on a good day you can do it no problem DV....we took a newby over last year..first ever ride on a sled..he did good..said it scared the holy chit out of him coming back down .....

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
on a good day you can do it no problem DV....we took a newby over last year..first ever ride on a sled..he did good..said it scared the holy chit out of him coming back down .....

That makes me feel a little better.. Heading down to the sled shop tomorrow morning to look at a new track and extensions.. :D

B
Nov 26, 2007
yeah. I got a pic of the way up ill find it. the olny bad part is if you miss that right turn going down. haha u are ****ked. By by sled.

Okay Found them. The Way up is sick on a 3ft Fresh day. Good day 2 learn . And the second is up on top after you top the summit area. What a View.
4455-R1-07-6A_008.jpg

4455-R1-11-10A_012.jpg

Last edited:
D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I really hate to say this but that doesn't look that bad.. Maybe it's the picture.. are those rock ledges I see right below the turn at the top?

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
I remember my first time going over. Kinda scary but, not to bad. I pulled it on a 600 :D Coming down is what really got me, lol. Nah, it was actually kinda fun...after the first time!

AK800, me and Billy are taking you up and over this year! :D :cool:

Last edited:
Premium Features